Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Roaming Charges fall within the EU

Good news for anyone using mobile devices in the EU: roaming charges fall dramatically as from today, and will be completely abolished in June 2017. Data roaming is particularly impacted; before today, mobile operators were allowed to charge up to €0.20 per MB, the maximum as of today is the caller's domestic download rate (free for most people), plus a maximum of €0.05/MB.

More details at:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-...oaming-tariffs

Something the EU has definitely got right - not so long ago, data roaming charges of well over £1/MB were commonplace.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
So, does that apply to the UK as well?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course! The UK is (for the moment, at least) a part of the EU.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
An example of the many good things the EU does.

And this coming from a european living in Canada, a weird place where doing anything between provinces is waaay more difficult and complicated than between countries in the EU. People should think about it when thinking about the European Union. Believe me, having the EU is a blessing compared to having something like we have here.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course! The UK is (for the moment, at least) a part of the EU.
True, just something that makes you wonder sometimes...
How do the rates transfer to £/p? Has that been fixed or is that on a daily exchange rate basis?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I wonder what the maximal minimal amount they can charge is. With the previous reduction I still had to pay 5 euro per day or so but I got more data for it. But that was data I did not need so it was still expensive.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
That's great! I'm from Michigan, and I went to Canada this last weekend - not a far distance from the US - and the roaming charges were crazy. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I'd have roaming charges. I do know it's a different country, but it doesn't really feel like it.

So basically I wish we'd have some North America version of that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
That's great! I'm from Michigan, and I went to Canada this last weekend - not a far distance from the US - and the roaming charges were crazy. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I'd have roaming charges. I do know it's a different country, but it doesn't really feel like it.

Yes! We need lowered (even better, zero) roaming charges within the NAFTA free trade zone. (Of course, American mobile service providers would fight such a proposal tooth and nail.)

Last edited by Froide; 05-05-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

How much would you pay to download 1MB of data, so we can get a useful comparison here?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
$0.002 per KB

But there are packages where you can pay $30 for up to 120 MB, $60 for up to 300 MB, or $120 for up to 800 MB.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
$0.002 per KB

But there are packages where you can pay $30 for up to 120 MB, $60 for up to 300 MB, or $120 for up to 800 MB.
So, $2/MB. That is expensive, I agree! Those are the sort of rates we were paying in EU countries prior to the forced reduction of roaming charges.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Harry
The major US providers (Cellular and Wireline) only WANT to sell you ($$) 'Bundles'. What they want to SELL, not what you NEED or WANT.
(I am not a 'always on the phone' user. I never used up my basic minutes in 10 years)
I was paying $50/mo for 2 LOCAL area (mine and spouse) lines with limited minutes and Peak restrictions (flip phone)

I now pay $200/Year for those 2 lines, no peak limits, all USA+ from <omitted as to not violate MR anti-SPAM rules>

My Wireline cost $30/mo. No extras (CID, VM, CW), No Long Distance, Local Only (and it was smaller area than that Cell)
My DSL (not from the phone company) was another $40/mo

I replaced those BOTH with a local provider. Faster DSL, CID, Nationwide + calling all for $50 (taxes and junk fees included)

To make thing totally ironic: I have Stock in both of those old providers and retired from a major telecommunications equipment manufacturer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Something the EU has definitely got right - not so long ago, data roaming charges of well over £1/MB were commonplace.
Don't you mean "Something the EU finally got right".

There's a couple of phone companies that operate in Southern and Eastern Africa that have had free roaming for quite a few years across countries like Nigeria, SA, Zambia, Ghana, Namibia etc. One of the companies (Indian) tried to do the same in Europe - the EU prevented it.

BR

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-09-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: P&R content
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #15
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Just had an email from my mobile provide, Virgin Mobile, saying

Quote:
From 1st July 2016, costs for going out of your allowance are changing. Costs for additional data, calls to UK landlines, mobiles, and the access charge for calls to service numbers are all increasing.
When I checked, the daily charge for unlimited Data usage is doubling from £1/day to £2/day. Charges for calls are alos increasing but by a much small percentage.

You have to wonder if this is a way of recouping revenue lost because of the reduction in roaming charges within the EU.

Last edited by MickiTee; 05-10-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Not finished
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote