Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Can Someone Explain Libby?

I recently got a Pocketbook Verse. For years I have used overdrive to visit the library, check out my book, put them in Calibre, get metadata the way I want it, then put the book on my reader. Now will Libby let me do all that? It seems like Libby is advertised as a reader app (not sure I need that). So if I get Libby, will I still have the same functionality I had with Overdrive?

There's probably some functionality in Libby that I may find that I like. That'll be great. I just don't want to cripple the system I have now. Basically, download the book and manage it in Calibre.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:51 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
I recently got a Pocketbook Verse. For years I have used overdrive to visit the library, check out my book, put them in Calibre, get metadata the way I want it, then put the book on my reader. Now will Libby let me do all that? It seems like Libby is advertised as a reader app (not sure I need that). So if I get Libby, will I still have the same functionality I had with Overdrive?

There's probably some functionality in Libby that I may find that I like. That'll be great. I just don't want to cripple the system I have now. Basically, download the book and manage it in Calibre.
Yes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2023, 04:14 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Does your library force you to use Libby? My library still uses Overdrive in the browser. I think you can also use Libby in the browser, but I don't. I can still download Overdrive ePubs (the .acsm file) directly from my PocketBook HD 3's browser, and the HD 3 will open them from the Adobe server. (I don't always do it that way, but I can.)

You can also download the .acsm file to your computer and email it to your PocketBook and, again, the PocketBook will take care of it from there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Libby is made by Overdrive the company to be their new generation frontend to their Overdrive service. They gave the user facing app a major redesign and at the same time a new name. It's still Overdrive underneath.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:03 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The browser version of Libby does not permit you download an acsm file or read on Pocketbook.

The android and iOS apps do permit you to download an acsm file.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
The browser version of Libby does not permit you download an acsm file or read on Pocketbook.

By "you" you mean you? I just tried, and I was able to download an acsm file using Libby with a browser on Windows.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

You can download the .acsm file from the browser version of Libby. I've done it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:05 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Go to your shelf

On the book you want the acsm for, click "Manage Loan"

Click "Read With"

Choose "Epub"
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #9
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, I'm not impressed, but at least I can filter for "(English or German) and Epub".
They really should have a global filter as that and local filters that are temporary.
Still, the layout is clearly designed for phones or a 3 year-old's tablet.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:33 PM   #10
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Guess I have to live with it.

So, Does Libby do away with Adobe digital and Adobe digital device authorizations, etc? Currently, I check out a book. The library sends me a .acsm file that then allows me to download a book (but only if my device (desktop computer) has been authorized by Adobe. The book gets dropped into a folder and app: Adobe Digital Editions(app) & My Digital Editions (sub folder of Documents folder). And there it sits, until I select 'get books' in Calibre where Calibre gets it and I can then manage all the metadata that I like to have as part of my library, before I import a book to my ereaders.

Does Libby do the same? Where does it put the book when I check it out from the library? I am not the least bit interested, just yet, of reading the book in my browser window or on my telephone.

I read an article today that said on 1 May 2023 Overdrive will be turned off. If it was turned off then I guess I never really used Overdrive. Instead I was really using only Adobe while thinking it was Overdrive doing all the work. If that's the case, I was grossly wrong, and probably have no reason to be concerned about it.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Once again, not OverDrive the service/website but OverDrive the app that Libby replaces.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:55 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
So, Does Libby do away with Adobe digital and Adobe digital device authorizations, etc? Currently, I check out a book. The library sends me a .acsm file that then allows me to download a book (but only if my device (desktop computer) has been authorized by Adobe. The book gets dropped into a folder and app: Adobe Digital Editions(app) & My Digital Editions (sub folder of Documents folder). And there it sits, until I select 'get books' in Calibre where Calibre gets it and I can then manage all the metadata that I like to have as part of my library, before I import a book to my ereaders.

Does Libby do the same? Where does it put the book when I check it out from the library? I am not the least bit interested, just yet, of reading the book in my browser window or on my telephone.

I read an article today that said on 1 May 2023 Overdrive will be turned off. If it was turned off then I guess I never really used Overdrive. Instead I was really using only Adobe while thinking it was Overdrive doing all the work. If that's the case, I was grossly wrong, and probably have no reason to be concerned about it.
I believe if you use Libby's "Manage loan->Read With->Epub" it will behave the same as the Overdrive site, as far as downloading the ACSM, ...

Good luck
Old 01-10-2024, 10:07 AM   #13
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, I'm even less impressed.
They twist your arm to go to Kindle.
Even if you don't have an Amazon account and no Kindle it has you marked as borrowing it already to Kindle.
Yes, you can work around this, but you have to be careful to back out as soon as you have "borrowed" it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libby.png
Views:	62
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	205732  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I've downloaded plenty of .acsm and ePub from the web version of Libby. It works no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote