Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just a thought, but if you chose one of mine you'd have the author on hand to quiz -- and to insult if you hated it!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Just a thought, but if you chose one of mine you'd have the author on hand to quiz -- and to insult if you hated it!
True... and you would know if people liked it from the message thread.. and make sure they paid for it...

My biggest issue would be that I am only reading about a book a month at my current pace. Of course, if I spent as much time reading books as I do here that rate would go up probably 4x at least.

BOb
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
One option would be to use books uploaded here. There are a lot of really good works in the pile. At least for some of the months, anyway.
I agree. Let's start with the books here. We can also publicize the clubs to draw attention to the MR collection, which in my opinion, is an incredible library.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
BOb, I'm not being entirely altruistic, of course, because this would be a great way to get my publishing model better known. One advantage is that the book would cost nothing to read, and is available in just about every format, including plain ASCII text. There are six to choose from, one a prize-winner, and even the "SF" title (Refuge) might appeal to the general reader. The one I'd recommend is The Penal Colony. That has action and adventure underpinned with reflections on the role of the individual in society, so there would be plenty to discuss.

Anyway, as I say, just a thought. Whether or not the group goes for it, I'd be interested in participating too. You get much more out of reading if you have a chance to discuss the work with others: a deeper insight and new perspectives. Reading is a creative as well as a passive activity; your technique can always be improved.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
atlchica
atlchica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, arriving on 10/14!
I'd love to join in!
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I really like this idea also, and think using a book available from mobileread would show how extensive our library is.

Who will choose?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks, everyone, for your excellent suggestions!

If you take a look at the welcome thread I posted, you'll see that I added a P.S. about choosing some public domain literature for our monthly reads. Of course, we don't have to look any farther than our own MobileRead library to do this.

My initial thought is to try out the Book Club with a couple of contemporary selections, see if we can really generate some interest and good discussion, and then incorporate some of the books available here.

I'm mostly suggesting this because I have seen in past threads that people don't always acknowledge the value of public domain literature (it's often called "old" or "boring" despite the fact that neither of those things is true), so I was concerned that going that route right from the get go would deter some people from joining in. I'm hopeful that once people get 'hooked' on the Club via some contemporary books, they'll be more likely to try out the public domain stuff.

However, if enough people are interested right off the bat, we could jump right in. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

DesertGrandma,

Glad to have you on board! As far as who will choose, I think we all should, collectively.

I thought a good way to achieve that would be to have a discussion thread followed by a poll, where people could initially suggest ebooks; then, once all suggestions have been made, we can put up a poll to choose.

If you have other thoughts on this, please let me know!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
DesertGrandma,

Glad to have you on board!Thank you. As far as who will choose, I think we all should, collectively.

I thought a good way to achieve that would be to have a discussion thread followed by a poll, where people could initially suggest ebooks; then, once all suggestions have been made, we can put up a poll to choose.
Or, members could take turns choosing the book for the following month? That way all genres are covered........just a thought.
If you have other thoughts on this, please let me know!
The best part about a book club is reading something you would never ordinarily read......even if you wind up hating it, you've learned something, and lots of times fine favorite new authors.

You'll never get 100% agreement...so, choose away! Except if the first book is "Dune" I'll be whining thru-out the entire book.............
Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Sounds like fun.

Dune is on my to read list.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
PsyDocJoanne

>Or, members could take turns choosing the book for the following month? That way all genres are covered........just a thought.

Awesome idea! That would take a lot of back-and-forth right out of the equation, and everyone would get their chance to choose a book. The only things I'm not sure about are what we would do if we had a relatively fluid group of people (i.e. people coming and going each month), or a situation where we had a lot of people (say, 25 or more...because then you might not get to pick a book for as much as 2 years!).

I'm glad that people are tossing out suggestions like this...and now is the time for us to work out the kinks, so keep the suggestions coming!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #27
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Count me in too, but what happens if you hate the book after the first couple of chapters? Do you have to 'fess up' and take a pummelling from the boards??
Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
>Or, members could take turns choosing the book for the following month? That way all genres are covered........just a thought.

Awesome idea! That would take a lot of back-and-forth right out of the equation, and everyone would get their chance to choose a book.
The only things I'm not sure about are what we would do if we had a relatively fluid group of people (i.e. people coming and going each month), or a situation where we had a lot of people (say, 25 or more...because then you might not get to pick a book for as much as 2 years!).
I'm glad that people are tossing out suggestions like this...and now is the time for us to work out the kinks, so keep the suggestions coming!
Maybe a commitment would be required to be in the 'choose a book' category? Or would that be too binding to some?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Count me in too, but what happens if you hate the book after the first couple of chapters? Do you have to 'fess up' and take a pummelling from the boards??

I'd say you have to read the entire thing regardless. Then you could post with some authority on why you hated it.........Lord knows I've read some of those books........
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
PsyDocJoanne

See, I knew stuff like this would come up!

I'm happy to let the club be a little fluid. I think that imposing a lot of stringent guidelines might deter folks...and I hope that if anything has come through in my last several posts, it's that I really want this to be as inclusive as possible, in the hopes that will help it to take off and really become a regular part of MobileRead.

If you don't like the book after a couple of chapters, I think it would be great to keep reading--as desertgrandma said, then you can tell us why it sucked!--but no immediate or severe harm should come to you if you jut stop reading, I think....

What say you all?
Closed Thread