Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
My Votes Are:

2 Owls Do Cry - Janet Frame
2 Disgrace - J. M. Coetzee
2 American Visa - Juan De Recacoechea
1 They're a Weird Mob - John O'Grady (aka Nino Culotta)
1 An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter - César Aira
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Again all look interesting to me so in reverse nomination order, my votes are:

-1 to American Visa
-1 to The Blue Hour
-1 to Patchwork
-1 to They're a Weird Mob
-1 to For the Term of His Natural Life
-1 to Owls Do Cry
-1 to Disgrace
-1 to An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Decisions, decisions.... Here are my votes.

The Blue Hour by Alonso Cueto - 1
American Visa - 1
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee - 1
An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter by César Aira - 1
They’re a Weird Mob by John O’Grady - 1
Owls Do Cry by Janet Frame - 1
Patchwork - 1
For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke - 1
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Initial voting is complete and... we have a three-way tie between:

-Disgrace
-Owls Do Cry
-American Visa

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

They look like three excellent choices to me and I liked all their previews so I'll have a think on it, though I'd be about equally up for any of them. We had selections from all over the southern hemisphere this month and this final 3 really brings that home- one from South America, one from Africa and one from Oceania.

Also, and this is surprising to me, but checking Dazrin's stats, we've never had a selection from any of South Africa, New Zealand or Bolivia, so whichever we choose will be a first for that country!
Advert
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good choices. It’s great that we’ll get a selection from a new country. I don’t really have a strong preference too. I will need to read some samples next to see if that influences me.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #22
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Mine are:

1 Disgrace - J. M. Coetzee
1 Owls Do Cry - Janet Frame
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

My votes are:

Owls Do Cry 1
Disgrace 1
Old 06-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I’ll give:

-1 to American Visa
-1 to Owls Do Cry
Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and the winner is Owls Do Cry!

The discussion thread will be up soon.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I’m looking forward to reading this book and learning more about New Zealand. I found the book available to borrow at both Hoopla and Scribd.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Sorry it was a little longer than usual but the discussion thread is up!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

No worries! I am finally getting back into my regular routine of reading again. I have really been in a reading slump with this lockdown and quarantine stuff. I thought I would read a lot more than usual, but it really takes an effort for the introvert spouse to keep the extrovert spouse entertained and sane during this period! I finished up over last weekend the book from last month, and I need to post my thoughts.