Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Flashman - George MacDonald Fraser

I have these in ebook versions but noticed my library had them in the audio version. I just finished listening to the 12th and final Flashman. I have to say I was at times appalled, offended, and irritated with Harry Flashman but also totally amused and entertained at the same time.

I hope there are others here who enjoyed them as much as I did. I'm sorry to leave this character after all the hours invested in him.

Last edited by Paegan2246; 04-04-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Oh they're great books. Probably my favourite series of all time. Harry's not exactly a role model (!), but he is extremely entertaining.

I love the way his exploits are interweaved with real historical events of the time. I think I learnt more history from reading the Flashman books than I ever did at school. Particularly the footnotes - how do the audio versions handle those?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are wonderful books. Amazon had a great deal for the omnibus edition of all 12 books for under £10 a couple of years ago which I snapped up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The footnotes are all there.
BTW..the audio versions are read by David Case who is a legend in the audio book realm and IMO is just about perfect for these novels. I read that he died not too long ago though.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've got the omnibus ebook, but I checked my OverDrive libraries and good news/bad news is that one of them has the first audiobook only. It's the perfect choice to break up my current listen, but suppose I love it? Will I never be satisfied with the ebooks after?

Just the same, David Case is wonderful and I obviously need to give this a try. Thanks!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I very much enjoyed every one of them! Funny but also hisorically very accurate.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got the omnibus ebook, but I checked my OverDrive libraries and good news/bad news is that one of them has the first audiobook only. It's the perfect choice to break up my current listen, but suppose I love it? Will I never be satisfied with the ebooks after?

Just the same, David Case is wonderful and I obviously need to give this a try. Thanks!
That stinks ..my Overdrive library has 10 of the 12. I did purchase the other two from Audible, because I had to read them "in historical" order.

Honestly, if you like David Case...you are going to get spoiled.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I've heard about this series many times, and my library only has books 1, 2 and 5. Since it starts out with Flashman getting expelled from school, mentioned in Tom Brown's School Days, does it matter much if I haven't read Tom Brown's School Days?

I'm tempted to pick this up as the omnibus over in the UK. Sadly, not £10, but £40 is still about half the price of the US editions.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I've heard about this series many times, and my library only has books 1, 2 and 5. Since it starts out with Flashman getting expelled from school, mentioned in Tom Brown's School Days, does it matter much if I haven't read Tom Brown's School Days?
It's not essential, certainly, but is there a reason you're reluctant to read "Tom Brown's Schooldays"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Paegan2246
Connoisseur

I haven't read Tom Brown's School Days. Years ago I did see the movie with Stephen Frye. Can't say I was very much impressed at the time.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
That stinks ..my Overdrive library has 10 of the 12. I did purchase the other two from Audible, because I had to read them "in historical" order.

Honestly, if you like David Case...you are going to get spoiled.
I even checked to see if there's Whispersync pricing (which is how I defray the cost of those Sharpe audiobooks (some of which are also narrated by David Case as Frederick Davidson) which aren't owned by my libraries, but no joy.

I'll have to see how it goes.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote