Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #16
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It is simply not true.
How many computers have been compromised, and how much personal information has been stolen over an internet connection compared to being "listened to" over an Alexa device? My bet is that orders of magnitude more personal data is stolen over standard telephones and cellphones than is stolen over Alexa voice connections.

The possibility of loosing personal information is there - both for a basic internet connection and for an Alexa device. There are ways to mitigate both, but neither is 100% secure. Have you seen any reports of identity theft or bank accounts getting hacked due to a data leak over an Alexa voice connection? Of course it's theoretically possible, especially if you're in the habit of calling out account numbers, passwords, social security numbers, etc. as you walk around your house talking. Do you not admit that it is also theoretically possible for a hacker to get this information over an internet connection plugged into a computer?

To call into question one path (Alexa) but not the other (internet connection) is terribly naive. I agree that one should do their best to secure both. And on top of that, don't do stupid stuff - like reciting your social security number next to a microphone, or downloading software from questionable websites. Either type of behavior is going to bypass security norms (not to mention common sense norms) and get you into trouble.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is Amazon Basics, Alexa, Kindle, Fire, Firestick, and Eero.
According to the article I read, Amazon is moving to redeploy staff from certain teams to more profitable areas and closing teams in areas such as robotics and retail, the WSJ reported.. So we don't even know the extent to which these are consumer devices.

Amazon opened a full self-checkout supermarket near us, weeks ago, and my wife and I haven't even driven past. This is based on a combination of not liking self-checkout, and suspicion of this being a whole-pay-check knock off. If others are thinking that way, some of their fancy devices could be sitting idle.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #18
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
If Amazon was to make Alexa a subscription service, it would tank. Unless new features were added as part of Prime.
Very true. Less apps work with it than before unless they're native, so there is no reason to have a sub service.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:13 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think Amazon Basics is an Amazon device.
Amazon Basics is Amazon branding stuff made by other companies.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Personally I'm happy this division is losing money. The notion that privacy is "no big deal" and it's "just peachy" to be spied on, is a dangerous retreat from Constitutional freedom, in my opinion. And what corporations say they will do with this with the conversations they collect and what they actually do do with them can often be completely different. Corporations often lie and/or arbitrarily change their license agreements in midstream. And there's a difference between targeting a specific computer for information and the routine recording and storing of everything you say and do — and then providing that information to government officials upon request.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 04:42 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't think Amazon Basics is an Amazon device.
Amazon Basics does make electronic devices as well as non-electronic devices.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-12-2022 at 02:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:32 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Amazon Basics does make electronic devices are well as non-elctronic devices.
Do they really "make" or brand existing products? Surely most Amazon Basics products are just like own brand supermarket packaging?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Amazon Basics does make electronic devices are well as non-elctronic devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Do they really "make" or brand existing products? Surely most Amazon Basics products are just like own brand supermarket packaging?
I'm pretty sure that most Amazon Basic products can be found branded with some other company's name if you searched hard enough. They even had an "Amazon Basic" mechanical pencil for a while, and I know for certain that product wasn't made by Amazon.

I really don't think the Amazon Basic branded products are Amazon's main problem right now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Amazon Basics covers a massive range of products, from computer mice, to dog food bowls, to bed sheets, to batteries, to chairs, to panties.

Even the most die hard Amazon zealot would be hard pressed to believe Amazon invented, or even innovated, in most or all of these fields.

It is the equivalent to the "store brand", a generic version of a product, made at low cost so that the price savings can be passed on to the consumer to undercut the name brands. And before the Amazon defenders jump on this, I'm not passing judgement, it's been a practice before Amazon was a thing, it's been a practice since before Bezos was alive. This is just Amazon utilizing its position to sell a generic product of which they get the whole of the profits (or a very large share), vs whatever they have worked out with other sellers.

I'd be very surprised if Amazon Basics was contributing to the 5 billion in losses, since its whole premise is a low cost low reward system because there's no risk on the products, people need them, and there's no R&D going into them, just replication of an existing product and slapping "amazon basics" on it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm pretty sure that most Amazon Basic products can be found branded with some other company's name if you searched hard enough. They even had an "Amazon Basic" mechanical pencil for a while, and I know for certain that product wasn't made by Amazon.

I really don't think the Amazon Basic branded products are Amazon's main problem right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Amazon Basics covers a massive range of products, from computer mice, to dog food bowls, to bed sheets, to batteries, to chairs, to panties.

Even the most die hard Amazon zealot would be hard pressed to believe Amazon invented, or even innovated, in most or all of these fields.

It is the equivalent to the "store brand", a generic version of a product, made at low cost so that the price savings can be passed on to the consumer to undercut the name brands.

I'd be very surprised if Amazon Basics was contributing to the 5 billion in losses, since its whole premise is a low cost low reward system because there's no risk on the products, people need them, and there's no R&D going into them, just replication of an existing product and slapping "amazon basics" on it.
That's what I thought.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's what I thought.
Just about everybody other than JSWoof does.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon Basics is Amazon branding stuff made by other companies.
I'm familiar. I don't think my Amazon Basics pajama pants would count as a 'device'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm familiar. I don't think my Amazon Basics pajama pants would count as a 'device'
Amazon Basics backup battery charger counts as a device (as an example).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #29
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You have to be careful when buying Amazon Basics electronic devices. I think they are all probably made in China, where when they say "UL approved", that means "Undertakers Laboratories approved".
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Amazon Basics backup battery charger counts as a device (as an example).
Target is a device because they sell both pajama pants and battery chargers. Got it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote