Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Thanks! That's quite a lot of chip area on both sides. If they can fit it in a phone maybe we'll be seeing it more in the small ereaders.
I don't think so because:
Quote:
OTOH, such heavy duty two sided construction must have some sort of price premium for design, manufacturing and yield.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:13 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I wanted a phone sized Reader, I'd use my phone instead.
Or a €100 inc shipping Y-Ben P47L. Smaller than most phones. No touch, but nicer than Kindle K3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 10:29 AM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Stop the presses!
A Firehose loader has just been found for the Hisense A9 Eink phone.
For many people the lack of a Firehose loader has been a bar.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804096737287.html
Yes, it is expensive-ish.

OTOH, it does include a "mysterious gift"!

Also, it has GPS, unlike the Palma.

Last edited by Renate; 08-22-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:47 AM   #19
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Stop the presses!
A Firehose loader has just been found for the Hisense A9 Eink phone.
For many people the lack of a Firehose loader has been a bar.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804096737287.html
Yes, it is expensive-ish.

OTOH, it does include a "mysterious gift"!

Also, it has GPS, unlike the Palma.
What's a Firehose loader? Does this mean that a root is near?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:27 AM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
What's a Firehose loader? Does this mean that a root is near?
Yes, it should 100% be the case.
But right now there is only one person trying this and they are having difficulties (some self-generated).
Advert
Old 08-23-2023, 09:16 AM   #21
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it should 100% be the case.
But right now there is only one person trying this and they are having difficulties (some self-generated).
Maybe make a post about it on Reddit on r/eink to have more people try it out? I'd love to root my A9, but I'm not experienced enough to come up with the process myself. I managed to root my A5 Pro following some confusing instructions.

I'll follow the progress in the XDA thread, hoping to see some positive results soon

I'd still be tempted to buy a Palma, though. It seems to fix several problems I have with the A9: bad corpus (not really usable without the official case - too slippery, camera protrudes and the edges are too sharp), no SD card slot (I need this for audio content, mainly), glossy screen that requires the matte screen protector it came with (the Palma screen seems to be natively matte).
Old 08-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #22
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
No SD card slot (I need this for audio content, mainly)...
Well, it is being sold with 128 GB.

What annoys me is that even the cheapest Qualcomm processor that Onyx puts in their devices has GPS/Galileo/Beidou/Glonass built right in.
You just need to add an antenna, which in the cheapest case is a sticker.
Why shouldn't an ereader have GPS? If you don't want it just keep location off.
I'm mainly thinking of hiking.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #23
kandwo
Addict

Quote:
Well, it is being sold with 128 GB.

What annoys me is that even the cheapest Qualcomm processor that Onyx puts in their devices has GPS/Galileo/Beidou/Glonass built right in.
You just need to add an antenna, which in the cheapest case is a sticker.
Why shouldn't an ereader have GPS? If you don't want it just keep location off.
I'm mainly thinking of hiking.
128 GB isn't nearly enough! Throw some music, podcasts and audio books in there and almost all of it is gone. I like having a lot of options for whenever I want to listen to something. And I like having it offline.

Re the GPS I can only agree. Another thing the A9 lacks is NFC, which I don't use myself, but I just don't understand why they wouldn't include it, especially since the A5 Pro has it. In fact A5 Pro has both NFC and an SD card slot.

This is something that plagues e-ink devices specifically. It seems like every new device is one step forwards, one step back and two steps in god knows what odd direction. Especially the devices from Onyx, unfortunately... They are the most promising player in the field, but make extremely questionable decisions at times.

For something like the Palma: include everything - SD card slot, GPS, NFC, SIM functionality, a camera. Maybe make a Palma light version without that. Otherwise airplane mode exists for people who don't want to use it as a phone.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #24
Renate
Wizard

I mentioned the Hisense A9, but they also make the Hisense Touch.
This appears to be about the same, but no cellular.
Both the A9 and the Touch have been hacked and rooted.
https://www.cect-shop.com/en/hisense...ic-reader.html

If the Palma reappears with GPS they may have a buyer.

Last edited by Renate; 09-17-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:15 AM   #25
Renate
Wizard

The Palma just reappeared in https://shop.boox.com/.
Nope, no GPS. I guess that recertification would have been too much.
I might buy a Hisense A9. At least it is known to be rootable.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #26
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Palma available on Amazon...

Palma now available on Amazon (same day delivery for the gray color if you have Prime.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #27
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by readologist View Post
Palma now available on Amazon (same day delivery for the gray color if you have Prime.
I don't see anything on amazon.com beside screen protectors.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #28
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Check This

https://www.amazon.com/Moaan-inkPalm...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited by readologist; 09-25-2023 at 03:23 PM.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:04 PM   #29
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
That's a Xiaomi device, not Onyx Boox.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:46 PM   #30
cosmicvoid
cosmicvoid began at the beginning.

Device: none
_____

Last edited by cosmicvoid; 12-09-2023 at 11:37 AM.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote