Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-27-2023, 05:53 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And all of this testing is good for?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 08:10 AM   #47
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And all of this testing is good for?
It adds to the bounty of knowledge for humanity.

Also, it tells us if SecureBoot is enabled so we can know if present or future Firehose loader leaks with a PK_HASH mismatch will work.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2023, 01:31 PM   #48
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Code:
Sending agatti_bad.bin 100% Ok
Waiting for Firehose... No response, poking...
Could not write device
Same as the "good" Agatti file.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #49
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There's been an unexpected breakthrough. I happened to run adb reboot fastboot, and I've got a different fastboot screen, not the one with the Onyx title but one with some data and options. I am yet to select any options, but I can swipe up and down and I suspect the Power button will confirm whatever option I select.

I am also able to operate the device in Fastboot on this interface. Fastboot getvar secure confirms that Secure Boot is active, as well as the device's screen.

I'm leaving it there, for further testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0336.JPEG
Views:	137
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	201710  
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:53 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're in recovery with the fastbootd daemon running.
You still can't read anything (like EDL allows).

That's good news on the 100%.
That means the universe of loaders that could work is much larger.
Advert
Old 05-28-2023, 04:38 AM   #51
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
I can’t recommend the Poke 5.

First I bought the Meebook M6, I like the blue color on the front, because it’s different to other devices and cause I was curious I ordered the Poke 5 too.
The display of the Poke 5 is much darker with light and I sent the Poke 5 back.

On the picture the color of the display at Poke 5 looks kind of greenish, but that doesn’t apply.
The warm light goes into yellow.
The brightness of the two devices is correctly reproduced in the photo and shows the difference exactly.

I love my Meebook M6.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8312.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	898.1 KB
ID:	201726  

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 05-28-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:02 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
I can’t recommend the Poke 5.

First I bought the Meebook M6, I like the blue color on the front, because it’s different to other devices and cause I was curious I ordered the Poke 5 too.
The display of the Poke 5 is much darker with light and I sent the Poke 5 back.

On the picture the color of the display at Poke 5 looks kind of greenish, but that doesn’t apply.
The warm light goes into yellow.
The brightness of the two devices is correctly reproduced in the photo and shows the difference exactly.

I love my Meebook M6.
Your photo does not show the Poke5 properly. You have the warm light on. You have to show us with the warm light off. Sorry if that means buying the Poke5 again. But until that happens, your comparison is not valid. The warm light can change the main light so it's dull and it's going to be a different color.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:32 AM   #53
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can think what you mean, I know what the display showed to me. I always read with warm light and therefore I always make the comparison on this way.

Did you have or have had both devices, I don’t think so … .

You can buy the Poke5 and make comparisons with your devices and you will see what you get with the Poke5. I wouldn’t spend money for this device.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8313.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	201727  

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 05-28-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:44 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You can think what you mean, I know what the display showed to me. I always read with warm light and therefore I always make the comparison on this way.

Did you have or have had both devices, I don’t think so … .

You can buy the Poke5 and make comparisons with your devices and you will see what you get with the Poke5. I wouldn’t spend money for this device.
Warm light changes the brightness of the standard light. So it doesn't show how the standard light works.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:46 AM   #55
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Again, buy the device and make a comparison with your Kobo Libra 2, if you don’t have a Meebook M6 for the comparison.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:03 AM   #56
Sonnenfee
Zealot

… and especially for you JSWolf, who wants to tell me, how a light works at a device, here you can see pictures from both devices, without warm light, and he confirmed my saying that the Poke5 is much darker.

https://forum.alles-ebook.de/threads...e-5#post-92288
Old 05-28-2023, 06:56 AM   #57
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox leaf 2 black
This Meebook M6 seems to be quite a nice alternative to Poke 5. More RAM and maybe a better CPU, but no speaker, if I get it correctly. I don't care about brightness of backlight on e-ink, most of the time I switch it off anyway.
popej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #58
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
… and especially for you JSWolf, who wants to tell me, how a light works at a device, here you can see pictures from both devices, without warm light, and he confirmed my saying that the Poke5 is much darker.
I don't use a reader as a flashlight.
Even this brightness is too much for me.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #59
Renate
Wizard

As someone who has spent a bunch of time looking (technically) at the front light of the Onyx:
  • The Onyx front light controls are crap. Try my Lights-1.0.apk (in the sig).
  • Even a photo with cell phone will give a different impression than actual viewing as the front lights are narrow spectrum.
  • A reference photo of both with the lights off might have been useful
  • You're allowed to like the Meebook if you want.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #60
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
[*]A reference photo of both with the lights off might have been useful
I have one but a comparison without light is for me and others who would like to read with light not useful.

For reading in a dark room, like the bedroom, you need light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1,023.3 KB
ID:	201731  

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 05-28-2023 at 08:04 AM.