Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #16
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yippee! It works! I patched framework.jar
Since apktool is broken I had to patch it by hand.
Code:
modfile classes2.dex 2eebfc 0e 00 0e 00 0e 00
Or, as the poet said:
Quote:
I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true.
(This only works for ONYX/Poke3/Poke3:10/2022-09-01_18-42_3.2.4_071fa5f/7033:user/dev-keys)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #17
csdvrx
Enthusiast
csdvrx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle HD8 onyx
Thanks a lot!

Can you explain what you patch does?

Then to deploy your patch, do I just need to put the framework.jar in a Magisk module?

(I may write a small tutorial around it, to help people who are not familiar with sds100 keymapper or magisk yet want to remap the cover keys)
csdvrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The patch defeats all the Onyx remapping of keys and long press detection.
Long press detection means that nothing occurs until you release the key.
That means that your page turns are delayed a bit.
For persnickety people (like me) that's unacceptable.
All of this applies to case buttons or wired keyboards or Bluetooth remotes.

As mentioned above, that exact patch is only for that exact version.
If apktool were fixed the patch could be done with a more universal mergesmali patch.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
Renate
Wizard

Ya know, if you want your framework.jar patched just slide it over here.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:16 AM   #20
csdvrx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Ya know, if you want your framework.jar patched just slide it over here.
I'm trying to do too many things at once and advancing in nothing

So that's much appreciated, thanks a lot!

Here's the file on the Nova Air C running 3.2.2
BOOX:/ $ ls -la /system/framework/framework.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30927139 2008-12-31 18:00 /system/framework/framework.jar
BOOX:/ $ md5sum /system/framework/framework.jar
f3a146c539e114fe7dd2cc75c21cd70b /system/framework/framework.jar

However when trying to upload I get "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing. If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

So I'm emailing you the 30M file
Advert
Old 11-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #21
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdvrx View Post
However when trying to upload I get "Your submission could not be processed because...
Oh, there's a 20M limit on files.

Anyway, I got the email.

I emailed you a link to the modified framework.jar
I have 100% faith in this, so it should not be a problem.

Still, if you keep on modifying stuff having adb run before the animation is important.

The best way to test this is before and after.
Get http://www.temblast.com/usbmode.htm
Press a key for a 1/2 second. Does the down arrow only show when you release or immediately when you press?
Install the new jar (using Magisk module or hardcore using a R/W /system).
Try again. Notice the difference?

Note that Onyx is very sloppy. They have zipped up a bunch of stuff off the shoproom floor into the .jar. I saw this in my Poke3 FW and deleted them. Your jar had even more junk. A .jar should only have classes?.dex in them.

Last edited by Renate; 11-09-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #22
csdvrx
Enthusiast

Quote:
I emailed you a link to the modified framework.jar
I have 100% faith in this, so it should not be a problem.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Oh, there's a 20M limit on files.
Still, if you keep on modifying stuff having adb run before the animation is important.
I will prepare a set of magisk modules, as I'd like to have a reliable adbd to do more hacks: next on my list is firewalling the google and onyx apps, or routing them through tor so that google can't so easily track users.

But that's likely to require some iterative attempts as I only have the faintest idea of what it will require

Quote:
Install the new jar (using Magisk module or hardcore using a R/W /system).
Try again. Notice the difference?
I'll try to do that later today, as I also have to rooting another reader for a friend (another thing for which I plan to use adbd-static)

About the R/W /system it would be my preferred method for development, because it will let me try various things quickly!

But first, I'd like to understand the drawbacks (or at least the consequences!) and also how to reflash just the system partition so that I can prepare modules for people who are not familiar with command line stuff.

I have a system.img from the 3.2.2 update and also a super.img from the backup of partition 13 with edl. I could flash the super that contains both vendor and system, but why would I want to needlessly cause flash wear and tear?

Also I'm curious about the separation, how the stitching is done (lvm? offsets to be able to dd, mount -o loop?) and it may benefit my google apps firewalling but this will require some reading!

Quote:
Note that Onyx is very sloppy. They have zipped up a bunch of stuff off the shoproom floor into the .jar. I saw this in my Poke3 FW and deleted them. Your jar had even more junk. A .jar should only have classes?.dex in them.
Indeed, there seems to be a buch of xml files for configuring the telephony stack.

In case anyone is curious:

Code:
 jar -xvf framework.jar
 extracted: classes.dex
 extracted: classes2.dex
 extracted: classes3.dex
 extracted: classes4.dex
   created: res/
  inflated: res/vendor.mime.types
  inflated: res/debian.mime.types
  inflated: res/android.mime.types
   created: android/
   created: android/widget/
  inflated: android/widget/Toast_compat_config.xml
   created: android/telephony/
  inflated: android/telephony/TelephonyRegistryManager_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/telephony/TelephonyManager_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/telephony/SmsManager_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/telephony/PreciseDataConnectionState_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/telephony/PhoneStateListener_compat_config.xml
   created: android/provider/
  inflated: android/provider/Telephony.Carriers_compat_config.xml
   created: android/os/
  inflated: android/os/Environment_compat_config.xml
   created: android/location/
  inflated: android/location/LocationManager_compat_config.xml
   created: android/database/
  inflated: android/database/ContentObserver_compat_config.xml
   created: android/content/
   created: android/content/pm/
   created: android/content/pm/parsing/
   created: android/content/pm/parsing/result/
  inflated: android/content/pm/parsing/result/ParseInput.DeferredError_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/content/pm/PackageManager_compat_config.xml
   created: android/content/om/
  inflated: android/content/om/OverlayManager_compat_config.xml
   created: android/app/
  inflated: android/app/SharedPreferencesImpl_compat_config.xml
  inflated: android/app/AppOpsManager_compat_config.xml
   created: android/accessibilityservice/
  inflated: android/accessibilityservice/AccessibilityServiceInfo_compat_config.xml
   created: META-INF/
   created: META-INF/maven/
   created: META-INF/maven/com.alibaba/
   created: META-INF/maven/com.alibaba/fastjson/
  inflated: META-INF/maven/com.alibaba/fastjson/pom.xml
  inflated: META-INF/maven/com.alibaba/fastjson/pom.properties
  inflated: META-INF/NOTICE.txt
  inflated: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
  inflated: META-INF/LICENSE.txt
I see you have removed them, ty!

I'm quite new to android so I didn't even know what to expect in this jar file. So I wouldn't have known exactly what to remove and what to keep.

I know a bit about Linux given my various tries to use it (though I keep returning to windows lol) but still it took me a long time to understand why I couldn't run things and to make the linker64 do what I wanted.

We seem to have similar interest in eink and readers, making the system stable and minimal, so hopefully we'll be making the Onyx better
Old 11-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #23
Renate
Wizard

Uh-oh. You've got a super partition... That gets complicated quickly.
My Poke3 is still on Android 10 and uses separate partitions for /system, /vendor.

The problem is that you have to resize/repack super and make it writable.
There are scripts out there to do this. And problems.
I was even thinking of how to restore it to separate partitions, but that's a whole new can of worms.

I'd really suggest that you stick with Magisk for now.
Magisk only notices changes to modules on full reboot. That is a hassle.
OTOH, I usually reboot to recovery, mount /system and /vendor and modify from there. So, not a lot of difference.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #24
csdvrx
Enthusiast

Then I'll stick to magisk!

BTW I've been exploring a bit, and I can't deploy @evdennis adbd static as the default adbd seem to work differently: it hogs the /dev device even if it's started before the regular adbd, and nothing goes through if the default adbd isn't running.

I think it may be path dependent (selinux policies or linker stuff) but I can't replace the default adbd from /apex by magisk since it doesn't have a mirror for /apex

There're others mirrors for say /system etc in /dev/u4fd/.magisk/mirror maybe it's configurable?

Anyway I'll keep working on that and let you know as an early persistent adbd would be a nice thing to have!
Old 11-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #25
Renate
Wizard

I don't know much about /apex.
In dealing with daily crisis (like whether I have any coffee for tomorrow morning) I have not delved into the moral justification for /apex.
Look at what init.rc is starting.

Last edited by Renate; 11-09-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #26
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
I'm interested in trying this path on my Onyx Leaf 2. What do I need to do? Do I need root for this? Thanks!
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #27
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
Do I need root for this?
Yeah, you should root for this. Easiest is just using Magisk. If you want to move away from it later you can.

If you have no experience with making your own modules I'd suggest starting simply. Make a module with /misc/adb/modules/MyModule/system/hello
hello being a text file with "hello". See if it properly appears in the actual /system
Old 11-09-2022, 06:45 PM   #28
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, you should root for this. Easiest is just using Magisk. If you want to move away from it later you can.

If you have no experience with making your own modules I'd suggest starting simply. Make a module with /misc/adb/modules/MyModule/system/hello
hello being a text file with "hello". See if it properly appears in the actual /system

Code:
Leaf2:/data/adb/modules/MyModule/system # echo hello > ./hello
Leaf2:/data/adb/modules/MyModule/system # cat hello
hello

Done. What's next?
Old 11-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #29
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
Done. What's next?
Ho, ho. That doesn't count!
You have to put the file in a real Magisk module in /data/adb/modules...
And then you have to see it in /system
You need to make a module, see: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/guides.html

While you're at it, pull your /system/framework/framework.jar, post it and tell me what your fingerprint is. (Not yours!)
Code:
$getprop|grep finger
Old 11-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #30
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Quote:
Ho, ho. That doesn't count!
You have to put the file in a real Magisk module in /data/adb/modules...
And then you have to see it in /system
You need to make a module, see: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/guides.html

While you're at it, pull your /system/framework/framework.jar, post it and tell me what your fingerprint is. (Not yours!)
Code:
$getprop|grep finger
Code:
Onyx/Leaf2/Leaf2:11/2022-10-29_19-11_3.3.1_8c9d49397/1583:user/dev-keys
framework.jar

I created a module with module.prop file and hello file in system directory, the module is listed under Magisk modules and is enabled, but /system/hello file doesn't appear after reboot for some reason, logs show this:

Code:
W : Unable to add /system/hello, skipped
UPDATE: found here:

Quote:
You can not add additional files or directories to /system using this method -- it's only possible to add additional files and directories to the existing sub directories in /system.
So, I created /data/adb/modules/MyModule/system/bin/hello instead and it works:

Code:
Leaf2:/ $ cat /system/bin/hello
hello

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 11-09-2022 at 07:36 PM.