Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #31
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Thanks kdittyr, you can put your own image as a screen saver.....I've had my Nook in sleep mode for 2 days and there is no evidence of screen burn in. Besides I purchased the two year protection plan that will replace the nook for two years no matter what happens.
Rowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #32
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
if you are looking for some other screensavers and wallpaper for your nook. Check out this site http://www.nook-look.com/
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Nook vs Sony: Some thoughts

Have you noticed that Nook 1.4 doesn't support highlighting, notes and dictionary for pdf files?
Have you noticed how access to built-in dictionary is implemented in Nook 1.4 for epub files?
First, one needs to get to the word he/she wants to look up. Cursor lazily moves between words, sometimes it stucks, sometimes jumps. Look-up process is slow but finally word found and you see the dictionary entry. Wow, the entry is smallish text on dark grey background. Can you select bigger font? No, you cannot.
Ok, let's close the dictionary and try to look up for the next word. Imagine that you inadvertently passed beyond the page bottom. Where is your cursor? Anywhere. Sometimes it gets not in front of the word (normal position) but behind the word. In this case Nook tries to look up for the neighbor.

Dictionary look-up in Sony 900 is provided by double tap of your finger on selected word. This is a direct access to text which Nook will never grant you because LCD touch-up screen is separated from text.
Look-up is fast and you have option to expand found entry to full page and browse your dictionary (actually, you have two Oxford dictionaries available).

The bottom line: If research work with pdf books is important for you remember that currently Nook is grossly impaired in this area; if research with epub is important for you Nook 1.4 still falls behind Sony 900 in convenience.

BTW, just try to work with Nook in open air under daytime sun. All advantages of e-ink screen are killed by darkish blind LCD screen.

Also, may be your vision is not perfect and you prefer to increase your reading fonts? Sure, you can do this with Nook.
Well, but what about the LCD screen? Font is too small for you? Sorry, you are out of luck, you got what you paid for.

So, you like Nook better than Sony PRS-900... Just think twice before committing yourself.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 07-14-2010 at 09:02 PM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #34
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what are you talking about? you can type in the word you want looked up.

can't use the nook outdoors? well I'm glad you told me, I've been wasting my mornings and lunch breaks outside reading and loving it. But now that a Kindle/Sony shrill has shown me the light, I now know better.

whatever. I just find it very bizarre people troll e-readers.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
It's one thing to give advice and an opinion, and it is another thing to deliberately misinform. Ebokjunkie is not being truthful in his Nook criticism. The Nook is not perfect, and it has it's flaws, but the crap he posted is not accurate at all.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Yes I have to agree. I have had my nook or a while now and have had no problems with it. EbokJunkie is spouting a lot of untruths about the nook and trying paint it as an inferrior product comapaired to the Sony.....which it is not.

All ways remember. Go test out the floor model at Best Buy and the Nook at Barnes and Noble. As for customer service, your local Barnes and Noble gives Nook introductions, has staff waiting to assist you with cover selection and questions you might have with your nook.

In the end, which product you feel comfortable will prevail but there is still no need to spouting misinformation because of your preference.
Rowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #37
NAHMME
NAHMME began at the beginning.

Device: none
SONY PRS900 AND COVER ISSUE

Does the attached Sony cover on the PRS900 interfere with the AT&T 3 g communication?
NAHMME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Not that I can tell.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote