Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
I really am starting to like what I see about the Nook. I do have a few questions about it though if any one can enlighten me.

Does the secondary color screen turn off, or go into sleep mode while reading a book?

And I noticed it does use epub, how easy is it to add my collection I have now? They are DRM free.

I also have Calibre, it is a good option to use with the Nook. I also read somewhere that it will upload book covers to the books I currently own, is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help. You all have been wonderful and very patient.

I really like this community!

1. yes the secondary screen does go into sleep mode. You can set it to 10 sec. 30 seconds or 60 seconds.

2. I too use Calibre, it's the best isnt it. Yes if the books you bought are encoded with book cover art then yes it will alslo load onto the Nook and will show up when you select that book But only books bought through BN will have the Coverflow feature.

This is truely a delight to read and alot of fun to use. Oh Yeah I forgot Free Fridays as well. Every Friday they give you a Free Book if you want. Some are good, some OK some are stinkers but it's great fun extra feature anyway.

Also this is just fantastic outside in the direct sunlight, it actually enhances the screen contrast, so if you like reading outdoors by the pool, beach, backyard etc you do have to that into consideration over the Sony's 900, people will downplay the glare but make no mistake it can get plenty bad.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay just for fun....which reader is easier to navigate though all the books you have uploaded. I like to catagorize my books to make them easier to find. So if I want to look up by Author, or title, maybe even genre? Is that possible in both?

I'm not sure how the 900 works but yes you can catogorize by Author title and last read, but I will admit for the device it's a petty bare bones, the 900 I think does have it beat in that catagory. Again this should be part of the next round of updates though.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
I honestly can't think of a reason to load 100 books on the thing really. Its nothing for me to connect it to the computer and just load 20 books, it would still take me a little bit to read those lol. Although if I get on a roll I can really get some reading done.

I'm curious about the 3G feature I hear about. I believe its available to both Nook and Sony. But is it just a gimmick and you need a cellular account (I don't presently own a cell phone is why I ask)? Or do they connect to that network for free?

Thanks a lot for all your continued help. I will diffinatly check the Nook and Both the Sony 600 and 900 when I goto Best Buy next. However I will not purchase the Nook from Best Buy since they are only offering a 25 dollar card and the actual store is offereing a 50 dollar gift card. That is depending on which one I finally settle for.
Rowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Rowen, I am in the same boat as you, I have narrowed it down to the PRS-900 and the nook as well. I spent some time yesterday playing with a nook at Best Buy and enjoyed it, though I was surprised that it lacked some features like landscape mode and goto-page.

The 3G feature is provided for free as the amount of usage is nowhere near what you would be using with a phone (as far as I understand it).

The thing I noticed at every store I have gone to with a Sony eReader display (3 Best Buy's and 2 Borders Books) is that the PRS-300 works fine where you can play with it and go through the menus and test read, though the PRS-600 just flips through a few screens that say "tap the screen to go to the home page" though it never responds when I do... I have clicked all of the buttons and pressed all over the screen and have never been able to wake it up. In the aforementioned display, the PRS-900 is a shell with a picture in it. I am planning to go to the Sony Style storefront after work today to see if I can spend some time with a PRS-900.

I have noticed that the price on the PRS-900 is going to go back up to $349 (I believe) after June 19th. Does anyone know of new devices coming out from Sony by the end of the year? I am interested in purchasing a reader right now, though I imagine I can wait a few months if there are new products that might have better features. (sorry to derail the thread).

Also, the Best Buy's around Orlando are offering a $50 gift card with the purchase of a nook, not the $25 that you speak of. I am not sure if that is a regional thing, or not.

I hope I provided at least a little info for you. I know exactly what is going through your head, mine is flip flopping back and forth non stop to the point that I think it would be best for me to wait a little longer so I can feel I am making the right choice... though I can be impulsive when it comes to buying things.

Last edited by kdittyr; 06-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The 25 dollar gift card was listed in this weeks sale ad, although last week it was the 50 dollar card. Sales are probably regional I would assume. With the cost of either device I have checked into the PRS 300 that is on display at Wal Mart.

THe screen looks nice unfortunatly there are no demo pages to read. There all listed as 'blank'. I really don't need 3G wireless, my travel is limited so much of my reading is at home. Considering the PRS 300 is only 149 I think that is a really good deal. Specially with it being my first eReader. I figure I can upgrade when things arn't so tight and Readers improve.

Besides I don't need something fancy. Just the abilty to read with more screen space than my iPod touch, lol. I wish to also use it to see how to format my own short stories and books I'm currently working on.

Keep me posted on what you find out kdittyr, Im interested at any rate.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I honestly can't think of a reason to load 100 books on the thing really. Its nothing for me to connect it to the computer and just load 20 books, it would still take me a little bit to read those lol. Although if I get on a roll I can really get some reading done.

I'm curious about the 3G feature I hear about. I believe its available to both Nook and Sony. But is it just a gimmick and you need a cellular account (I don't presently own a cell phone is why I ask)? Or do they connect to that network for free?

Thanks a lot for all your continued help. I will diffinatly check the Nook and Both the Sony 600 and 900 when I goto Best Buy next. However I will not purchase the Nook from Best Buy since they are only offering a 25 dollar card and the actual store is offereing a 50 dollar gift card. That is depending on which one I finally settle for.

I misspoke in my last post the Sort feature is by "Author", Title" and Most Recent (not last read) sorry.

3G is not a gimmick it is free on both devices. I find it great when I'm out and about and just buy the newspaper on the train and have it ready to read in less than 30 seconds, that's pretty sweet.
Downloading and purchasing wirelessly is a feature you'll soon discover is one that is soo much more convienant and worthwhile then you may originally think. Even just plain old shopping on line. Being on barnes and noble.com and just clicking buy and have it almost instanously without having to hook it up to the computer is just remarkable.
Also the Nook has Wi Fi, which is great because Wi fi is faster than 3G and can hook up at any Wi Fi Hot spot. I'm not sure if the Sony has wi fi.

Best Buy is weird, it's flyers say $25 Gift Cards but online it's $50

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at212400050009
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
At my local Best Buy the PRS-900 was the "shell with a picture" too, but I convinced a friend of mine who works there to let me try one of the real things... Connections are good things to have.

The PRS-600 at my store did respond, and I demo'd it in-store as a result. The mode its in for displays reminds me of the feature-tour that best buy has on all their computers on display.

The PRS-300 is a very good deal, and capable of more than the nook in regards to reading. The nook has some apps (chess, etc) but nothing that great. The PRS-300 is the budget reader, and it's a helluva good one!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
boswd
Banned

n/m mistake
Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #24
DrJCS
DrJCS began at the beginning.

I work at a College and I asked the CIO and a technician the same question. They said they preferred the Nook. So I went with the Nook and I have had it for about 3 months now and I love it. Trips to B&N are fun. You get free downloads and sometimes even a treat in the cafe. It seems now I don't go anywhere without my Nook. I downloaded Calibre today and it worked very well with it. Good luck
DrJCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #25
Rowen

Was able to finaly get out. First stop was at B&N. Hands on I thought the Nook was very comfortable and felt good in my hands. I liked it so much I bought one......so far I like it....a LOT.

Ill post a bit more once I play with it a little more.....havn't had a lot of time today to do all that I want to with it.

It was a great earlly Fathers Day present......for the next four years according to my wife, lol.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #26
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Welcome to the organisation of nook lovers ... :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #27
boswd
Banned

Yes welcome to the Nook lovers club.

It really is just a wonderful e-reader.

and you're right it is very comfortable to hold. I will from time to time take it out of my cover and read it with out.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
Rowen

So far I haven't gotten to play with it much! I have registered it and played around with it for about 15 minutes......I will be glad when life slows down so I upload a book and see how it works.

The only thing that scares me is putting it into sleep mode. It has a screen saver but I'm scared it will get screen burn in. Might have to make a post on the Nook forum for that!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #29
boswd
Banned

Quote:
So far I haven't gotten to play with it much! I have registered it and played around with it for about 15 minutes......I will be glad when life slows down so I upload a book and see how it works.

The only thing that scares me is putting it into sleep mode. It has a screen saver but I'm scared it will get screen burn in. Might have to make a post on the Nook forum for that!
naw don't worry about that, it'll be fine. I only power mine down maybe once or twice a week.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #30
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Quote:
It has a screen saver but I'm scared it will get screen burn in.
Can you put your own image in to use as a screen saver? If so, you could always put in an image that is pure white, that should keep it blank. I think.

Congrats on making a decision I hope to make mine, soon.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote