Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The DR1000S is the only real choice, in eInk devices, at the moment. It is relatively expensive, yes, but is, for me at least, well worth the money.
Initially, I discarded the iRex models because of price, but the DR800SG looks like EXACTLY what I want. And, apparently, there is even an e-tailer in Spain who sells these. I may change my mind. the DR1000S still looks like a lot of money (my wife might kill me), but it seems to have better format support than the Sony. Of course, it won't be here until next year, and there is the whole 3G deal.

Does it have ebook library software? That would seal the deal for me. The matrix seems to indicate it doesn't, but there may be a way around that. Do you know anything about that?

Many thanks.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #17
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Man, this is going to be great! Now they just have to bring the damn PRS-600 to Spain. Or I need to bite the bullet and order from NYC.
I believe the PRS-600 is available for Apollo XXI who is located in Spain. While not officially launcehed there, they've carried all the sony readers for years.

http://www.apoloxxi.com

They carry most if not all the current eInk readers available, and I think also have a retail store I vaguely remember another member going to pick up his reader.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Initially, I discarded the iRex models because of price, but the DR800SG looks like EXACTLY what I want. And, apparently, there is even an e-tailer in Spain who sells these. I may change my mind. the DR1000S still looks like a lot of money (my wife might kill me), but it seems to have better format support than the Sony. Of course, it won't be here until next year, and there is the whole 3G deal.

Does it have ebook library software? That would seal the deal for me. The matrix seems to indicate it doesn't, but there may be a way around that. Do you know anything about that?

Many thanks.
You really don't need any special software for the DR1000S, but Calibre works just fine with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If finance is a big issue, I'd recommend trying to pick up a prs 505. These reflow pdf but don't have all the fancy note-taking facilities. The font quality is very good and if you "want to curl up away from the laptop and just read" it's perfect. You can buy these for a snip now as Sony have discontinued them.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #20
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, I was thinking about the software that allows you to borrow ebooks from public libraries (I am originally from Boston, and access to the Boston Public Library is a huge attraction for me).

BB, thanks for the link! That page is tempting. I have an aversion to PayPal, so I might just wait until the people here in town have it - it is also a hassle to return things via mail when they arrive broken. I imagine the local Sony store is getting them the same way - they sell lots of stuff that is not Sony (they have the Papyrus ereader now, and they sell Macs).

BookCat: I considered the 505, partly because I prefer buttons to turn pages, and partly because the screen is supposed to be very good. But there was some reason I decided against it. Maybe because the 600 was faster and has more bling? I will see if I can find one in Spain (Those Apolo people don't have it).
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
llreader
Mesmerist

Ugh, I just realized that Apolo place is charging 299E for the 600, which is $440. For that price I can buy a 900 or a DR800SG and have it shipped from the US. And another place here had it for 345E !! i hate this price-hunting thing. I will probably just get someone to bring it from the US next time they visit.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Harry, I was thinking about the software that allows you to borrow ebooks from public libraries (I am originally from Boston, and access to the Boston Public Library is a huge attraction for me).
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The iRex devices will shortly support ePub, which will allow you to borrow books from the public library IF your library has an eBook service. All the Sony "find a library" service does is tell you which public libraries in your area lend eBooks - you can only use that service if you actually LIVE there, so buying a Sony wouldn't allow you to use the Boston or NY public library, for example.

I don't know what the situation is like in Spain, but here in the UK, very, very few public libraries currently offer eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #23
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez-It View Post
Hmm...

So on the Digital Reader 1000... How does note taking work, in terms of organization and navigation? Could I read through a PDF, jotting notes on the side? Will the reader make note of this somehow so I can see all the places I have notes, without actually going to the page?
Jotting notes on the sides (ie margins) and in the white spaces of pages is exactly how it works. I'm not sure whether it displays handwritten notes in the thumbnails or not as I haven't looked for them there.

So far, it hasn't occurred that I'm looking for a page for something I'm writing on it, more that I'm looking for something in the printed text and come across something I've written.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I don't know what the situation is like in Spain, but here in the UK, very, very few public libraries currently offer eBooks.
I'm sure there are numerous libraries in the large cities here in the US that do, but I'm not near any of them and so don't have a library card with any of them.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #25
Cheez-It
Cheez-It began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Jotting notes on the sides (ie margins) and in the white spaces of pages is exactly how it works. I'm not sure whether it displays handwritten notes in the thumbnails or not as I haven't looked for them there.

So far, it hasn't occurred that I'm looking for a page for something I'm writing on it, more that I'm looking for something in the printed text and come across something I've written.
So is there no index indicating where you have taken notes among various files? I suppose I could do that manually...
Cheez-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #26
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
So is there no index indicating where you have taken notes among various files? I suppose I could do that manually...
Nope, but it sounds like a nifty feature. Maybe someone with a modicum of influence over there could suggest it for a future update.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
The iRex devices will shortly support ePub, which will allow you to borrow books from the public library IF your library has an eBook service. All the Sony "find a library" service does is tell you which public libraries in your area lend eBooks - you can only use that service if you actually LIVE there, so buying a Sony wouldn't allow you to use the Boston or NY public library, for example.

I doubt Spain has this kind of service. I expect people would just pirate what they want. I am not interested in Spanish texts, what I have very limited access to here is English texts.

My understanding is that the software involved manages the deletion of the files when your book is due. Is this part of the ePub standard?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #28
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Ugh, I just realized that Apolo place is charging 299E for the 600, which is $440. For that price I can buy a 900 or a DR800SG and have it shipped from the US. And another place here had it for 345E !! i hate this price-hunting thing. I will probably just get someone to bring it from the US next time they visit.
Sad but true: Sony pretty much looked at the US prices in dollars, thought "Hey, those are nice figures!" and changed the $ into a euro for us europeans. My PRS-600 was E299.99 at bol.com, an official reseller here in the Netherlands. Likewise, the leather cover with light, $59.99 if I am not mistaken in the US, goes for a nifty E59.99 from that same store.

Amazingly enough I found that Amazon.com sells the 600 for it's US price, but does shop to europe - around $60 in shipping charges. And while that is steep, with the current rates $360 is around E245 which is a lot less than the E300 it costs here - though you'll have to wait a bit longer before you get it.

Slightly more ontopic: this post gives a neat overview of what a journal looks like on an (5" I think?) eReader.

Quote:
Well, for the Sony Touch there is, at least, there's a list with your notes in chronological order noting book, date & page. No real way to sort them though - a feature I'm really starting to miss.

Last edited by FragFrog; 10-11-2009 at 09:14 PM.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
You can bookmark your annoted pages. That may be clunky, and not exacty what you want, but at least you would not have to check every page.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
Cheez-It
Cheez-It began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
You can bookmark your annoted pages. That may be clunky, and not exacty what you want, but at least you would not have to check every page.

Kent Walters
Yep, that would work for me.

Now I just need to get a job
Cheez-It is offline   Reply With Quote