Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Since you have a year to play with, and you want such a large block of units, you might consider contacting Netronix directly and telling them you're interested in about 3,000 units. They might be able to work something out for you, even if they aren't quite released yet. At a minimum, that level of interest ought to persuade them to talk with you about the matter.
I concur. If I dangle an order like that, I'd expect evaluation units to play with, and the possibility of getting a custom branded version with my organization's name and logo.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
That has to be the coolest party favor EVER.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...i think the idea of giving ebooks out at a conference is a brilliant one, definitely.
...when will this conference take place ?
...where will this conference be held ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... and how do I get past security
don't give me any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
That has to be the coolest party favor EVER.
seriously.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I call "dibs" on working tech support for the conference. It was my idea.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I call "dibs" on working tech support for the conference. It was my idea.
i'd say you're the man for the job, too.
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
saarkagan
saarkagan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks guys for all the comments... and the plots to get past security

If one of you offers the winning suggestion I'll see what I can do about getting you a unit... but no promises... i'm only helping out a friend

Anyway, I've also been looking at the Readius... it's not out yet but will be later this year. It has GSM/GPRS and should be able to receive live updates. And it's pretty darn cool!

What do you guys think? Any news on this? Anyone know how much it will cost? I've made initial contact with Polymer Vision but wanted to consult with you guys before pursuing it further.

Saar...
saarkagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you give out the Readius, I am definitely joining your society. i don't care if it's the Nude Groin Kickers of Siberia, I'll be there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Readius might be an excellent choice, actually. Totally forgot about it.

I think it's supposed to be out sometime in the next year, and they might be interested in working out something like that, since it would be good exposure for them. Plus, since it's a Cell phone too, your conference goers would have the option of slipping their SIM cards into it and using it for that purpose if they so chose.

Have a look (if you already haven't) at the interview with Readius's CEO on the front page. It will likely be of interest to you.

Now I want to go to this conference, even if it's the "Nude Groin Kickees of Siberia!"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarkagan View Post
Thanks guys for all the comments... and the plots to get past security

If one of you offers the winning suggestion I'll see what I can do about getting you a unit... but no promises... i'm only helping out a friend

Anyway, I've also been looking at the Readius... it's not out yet but will be later this year. It has GSM/GPRS and should be able to receive live updates. And it's pretty darn cool!

What do you guys think? Any news on this? Anyone know how much it will cost? I've made initial contact with Polymer Vision but wanted to consult with you guys before pursuing it further.

Saar...
oooh.... readius.... sparrow, how are those sneaking past the security plans coming along ???
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #25
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
If you give out the Readius, I am definitely joining your society. i don't care if it's the Nude Groin Kickers of Siberia, I'll be there.
I'm sorry, I'm the president of the "Nude Groin Kickers of Siberia" and we don't take your kind here. Your knees have to bend the other way.

I have to look into those Readius gizmos though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Your knees have to bend the other way.
But ... how do you ride bicycles, then?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #27
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey
Your knees have to bend the other way.
But ... how do you ride bicycles, then?
Backwards...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oooh.... readius.... sparrow, how are those sneaking past the security plans coming along ???
Almost there ZP - got your microlite and parachute.
Just waiting on the plans of the air conditioning ducts, and you're good to go.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Wow. excellent, enlightened idea. Having attended conferences, I would really have appreciated such a thing. I'd support everything the experts have been saying.

Assuming you are going to have conference materials on the device, could I make a suggestion? Get the sort of material you want to distribute and print it out on paper (black and white if you are thinking of e-ink, colour if LCD, et al.) of the sizes you are thinking of using. See how it feels to look at on the various sizes (for added authenticity, you could put black card between the pages ). The reason is you mentioned pictures -- depending on what they are how well they look may depend on the size of the display. I'd also recommend seeing them on a display of the relevant greyscale count. I find a massive difference between the Kindle and the iLiad thanks to the greyscale differences; but that doesn't matter on pure text or line-drawings that have been correctly rendered.

I'd have loved a scribble ability to place notes on or with material as it is being presented -- decide if you think people will do that, and so what sort of interfaces you want.

If you want people to use it during the sessions, think about the lighting you will have. Dark and e-ink don't necessarily go well together!

But I'm sure that whatever you choose, it will be a big hit. Go for it.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Almost there ZP - got your microlite and parachute.
Just waiting on the plans of the air conditioning ducts, and you're good to go.
oh great ! i knew i could count on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Wow. excellent, enlightened idea. Having attended conferences, I would really have appreciated such a thing. I'd support everything the experts have been saying.

Assuming you are going to have conference materials on the device, could I make a suggestion? Get the sort of material you want to distribute and print it out on paper (black and white if you are thinking of e-ink, colour if LCD, et al.) of the sizes you are thinking of using. See how it feels to look at on the various sizes (for added authenticity, you could put black card between the pages ). The reason is you mentioned pictures -- depending on what they are how well they look may depend on the size of the display. I'd also recommend seeing them on a display of the relevant greyscale count. I find a massive difference between the Kindle and the iLiad thanks to the greyscale differences; but that doesn't matter on pure text or line-drawings that have been correctly rendered.

I'd have loved a scribble ability to place notes on or with material as it is being presented -- decide if you think people will do that, and so what sort of interfaces you want.

If you want people to use it during the sessions, think about the lighting you will have. Dark and e-ink don't necessarily go well together!

But I'm sure that whatever you choose, it will be a big hit. Go for it.
those are some excellent suggestions, lazyscot. and very good point about having appropriate lighting. of course, if the materials would otherwise be printed on paper, i suppose they couldn't have the attendees in the dark then either.