Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
My understanding is that the software involved manages the deletion of the files when your book is due. Is this part of the ePub standard?
That's a part of the ePub DRM system itself. The book "expires" on a specific date.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 AM   #32
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
Sad but true: Sony pretty much looked at the US prices in dollars, thought "Hey, those are nice figures!" and changed the $ into a euro for us europeans. My PRS-600 was E299.99 at bol.com, an official reseller here in the Netherlands. Likewise, the leather cover with light, $59.99 if I am not mistaken in the US, goes for a nifty E59.99 from that same store.

Amazingly enough I found that Amazon.com sells the 600 for it's US price, but does shop to europe - around $60 in shipping charges. And while that is steep, with the current rates $360 is around E245 which is a lot less than the E300 it costs here - though you'll have to wait a bit longer before you get it.

Slightly more ontopic: this post gives a neat overview of what a journal looks like on an (5" I think?) eReader.
Thanks for both of these comments. I am pretty much going to have to buy this in the US, either having it shipped or getting someone to bring one. The "Euro ripoff" is constant problem, and maddening. Apple used to do this (not so much these days). Of course, VAT should be around $60, so it might not be a great deal.

Harry: Now that is veeeeery interesting...
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do bear in mind that if you buy a Sony in the USA, you will effectively be buying it without a warranty - Sony Europe won't touch it if it goes wrong. I think personally that it's worth paying a little more for the full warranty support - these are expensive devices and unfortunately do occasionally go wrong. By the time you've paid shipping from the USA, VAT, etc, have you really saved that much money?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #34
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point Harry. Now that we are completely off topic, here is what Amazon says:

They will sell me a PRS-600 for 211.20E, with 39.15 in shipping, for a grand total of 250.35E (before tax - VAT would be another 40E, or 290-something).

The Spanish place (Apolo) wants 299E plus 15 E for shipping for a grand total of 314E (43.31E in VAT included).

Amazon UK will sell me the 600 for 269.98 GBP, plus 29.99 in shipping for a grand total of 299.98 GBP or 335.70 E (they will bill directly in Euros from any site if you have an EU credit card). Vat included, of course.

So, the only reason not to buy in the US is service.

The guy at the local Sony store told me that they don't provide any warranty - that it comes directly from Sony, and it doesn't matter where you buy it (which, of course, is not what he would say if he wanted me to buy from him, but I don't really trust him to know what he is talking about, either). And he doesn't actually have one, either.

I need to look into the warranty biz.

Oh, PS, Spain has passed a law requiring a 2-year warranty on any electronic gadget/computer sold. However, in practice no one respects it (because after 6 months you have to prove that it is their fault, instead of the other way around).

Last edited by llreader; 10-12-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added Spanish warranty trivia
Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you buy a Sony ANYWHERE in Europe (eg from the UK), Sony Europe will provide cover for it. If you buy it from the USA, you'd need to return it to the US (and pay for it to be shipped back to you) if it needed repair.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #36
llreader
Mesmerist

Ah, good information. I started a new thread about this subject over here.