Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Ncage1974
Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Panning on PDFs?

Just how bad do you think the experience is when your panning to read a PDF. I've seen a few youtube videos were people where demonstrating panning and it didn't look to bad but i wanted to get someone who first had experience. Do you think it will drive most people so crazy that they won't want to read PDFs on the kindle? Still trying to decide if i want a kindle 3 or not.

thanks,
Ncage
Ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Ncage1974
Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ncage1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bumpidy
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
I have tried a few manuals and a pdf of a spread sheet I needed for a meeting it was OK, I would want to use it all the time.
It was great for a few of the graphic novels I tried ( although B/W).
It isn't really a pdf reader, if that's you main thing you want go for a reader with re-flow and/or larger screen. The Kindle DXi will give you the bigger screen or wait for the new version of the DX with wifi and new bells and whistles that would seem logical for them to bring out.
Several of the other reader support re-flow of the pdf text Sony etc. its not something Amazon seems to be keen to add.
I am happy as most of the pdf's I have convert fine with Calibre as they are not layout sensitive.
Hope that helps,
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
i had a kindle 2... panning sucks (took too long, and its still too small)

if you read a lot of PDFs, suggest getting a DX
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

To be honest with you, PDFs on 6" screens is not a good thing, regardless of which reader you have. You need a much larger screen. My Kindle DX Graphite (there is no confirmed WiFi model in the works) has a 9.7" screen and does fairly well with PDFs. But on a 6" screen you would most likely have to pan, and if you have to pan then you won't like it.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Ncage1974

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess there is only one solution if i need pdf / chm support and that is to go with the ipad. To be honest if i'm going to spend $379 on then for the price difference i'm going to get the ipad. Question is do i want to spend this much money for what my main purpose for the device is - to read ebooks. I know a lot of people on these forums are hard core ebook consumers so they would but i'm questioning if its a wize solution for me .
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I had a Pocketbook which did a fairly good job reflowing some PDFs. Others, AFAIU, are just impossible to reflow, I guess it depends on the quality of the PDF. Even though they may look the same, not every PDF is created equal... so I would agree that what you really need is a bigger screen, rather than a reflow-capable device.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncage1974 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess there is only one solution if i need pdf / chm support and that is to go with the ipad. To be honest if i'm going to spend $379 on then for the price difference i'm going to get the ipad. Question is do i want to spend this much money for what my main purpose for the device is - to read ebooks. I know a lot of people on these forums are hard core ebook consumers so they would but i'm questioning if its a wize solution for me .
http://www.youtube.com/user/kindlePW

if you want to compare PDFs on Kindle 2-US(prolly similar to the K3-wise) and the DX-US, my videos on youtube should allow you to see the differences(same PDFs tested)

(there is a 720p option, prolly easier to see the difference)

if you wait a bit or look at the used section, you can probably find one for around $250. amazon had their refurb DX-US at that price point sometime in the summer, then it sold out

Last edited by paperwastage; 09-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote