Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 03-04-2024, 10:10 AM   #1
iscilyas
iscilyas began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Aura H2O
TWRP for Tolino Vision 6 released

I just got a Tolino Vision 6 and was disappointed to see there doesn't seem to be much work on it (apart from some posts on allesbook.de on how to root it)...

Here's my twrp port based on that of nook glowlight 4 (both devices use the same Allwinner B300 chipset).

recovery.img can be downloaded at https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_v..._twrp/releases

Source code and instructions for compiling installing etc are at https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_vision6_twrp

I played around with it a bit and it seems alright. Even the brightness control works

Feedback is welcome

Last edited by iscilyas; 03-04-2024 at 10:12 AM. Reason: messed up url
iscilyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:28 AM   #2
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo,Tolino,BN,PB,Kindle,Likebook,Inkbook
@iscilyas
Thank you very much for your effort!!!
I checked Vision 6 briefly, all functions seem to work.
It's the same with the Shine 4, except the screen is rotated 180 degrees.
On Epos 3 it unfortunately works with errors, roughly the same as TWRP from Nook Glowlight 4 on Vision 6.
If you want to customize TWRP for Epos 3, I would be very grateful.
I can provide Epos 3 mmcblk0.img or sections separately.
Thank you again for your work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240305_100715714.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	206714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240305_100749195.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	206715  
Waldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 04:05 AM   #3
litrpguy
Enthusiast
litrpguy began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 6, Nook Glowlight 4
A bit lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscilyas View Post
I just got a Tolino Vision 6 and was disappointed to see there doesn't seem to be much work on it (apart from some posts on allesbook.de on how to root it)...

Here's my twrp port based on that of nook glowlight 4 (both devices use the same Allwinner B300 chipset).

recovery.img can be downloaded at https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_v..._twrp/releases

Source code and instructions for compiling installing etc are at https://github.com/iscilyas/tolino_vision6_twrp

I played around with it a bit and it seems alright. Even the brightness control works

Feedback is welcome
I recently got my vision 6 about a week ago but have gone so far into enabling adb and installing apps. I understand a bit of twrp but after the the recovery image is flashed, where do start on "How to build TWRP?" which os do I input those codes to build? Sorry I'm not too technical
litrpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:09 AM   #4
litrpguy
Enthusiast

Appreciate the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldy View Post
@iscilyas
On Epos 3 it unfortunately works with errors, roughly the same as TWRP from Nook Glowlight 4 on Vision 6.
Would it be too much to ask to provide a simpler instructions on how you did the twrp on your vision 6 and the building right after? Thanks regardless!
Old 03-06-2024, 08:13 AM   #5
iscilyas

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by litrpguy View Post
Would it be too much to ask to provide a simpler instructions on how you did the twrp on your vision 6 and the building right after? Thanks regardless!
hey. i'm not quite sure i understand what you're doing. and i fully intend to make the README file clearer (after having read your comments).... but basically you don't need to build anything. i already built it for you just download recovery.img from the "releases" link, and reboot your device in fastboot mode and then flash the recovery partition. first you should probably enable the secret "developer settings" (to enable adb) if you haven't done that already.

something like this:

tolino is on, plugged in to usb.
reboot in fastboot mode)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
at this point it will appear to be "off" but it's not. check to see if it's in fastboot mode: (you should see something like "Android Fastboot Android Fastboot")

Code:
fastboot devices
make sure recovery.img is in your current directory and run the following to actually flash twrp to recovery
(there should be some output saying it's flashing it. takes about 5 seconds)

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
reboot to normal system:
Code:
fastboot reboot
wait until device has started up and run the following to start twrp
Code:
adb reboot recovery
FWIW fastboot reboot recovery doesn't seem to work... there was something in some forum about long-pressing the power button (while unplugged) to enter recovery mode but i haven't tried that yet

let me know if the above is descriptive enough and i'll update the README accordingly
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 08:28 AM   #6
iscilyas

Quote:
@iscilyas
hey @waldy.. thanks for your comment and i'm glad someone is using it

i'm not sure what you mean with the "screen is rotated 180 degrees" but i'll take a look at that.

as for the Epos 3, it's probably because the partitions are named/numbered differently. it looks like you've managed to boot the kernel fine so it's probably going to be as simple as fixing up recovery.fstab

for starters, can you boot into twrp (from the vision6) and do something like:

Code:
adb shell find /dev/block > epos3-blocklist.txt
and send me the file epos3-blocklist.txt that it generates? then i'll send you an updated recovery.fstab that should work on the Epos 3.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 PM   #7
litrpguy
Enthusiast

Quote:
hey. i'm not quite sure i understand what you're doing. and i fully intend to make the README file clearer (after having read your comments).... but basically you don't need to build anything. i already built it for you just download recovery.img from the "releases" link, and reboot your device in fastboot mode and then flash the recovery partition. first you should probably enable the secret "developer settings" (to enable adb) if you haven't done that already.

something like this:

tolino is on, plugged in to usb.
reboot in fastboot mode)
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
at this point it will appear to be "off" but it's not. check to see if it's in fastboot mode: (you should see something like "Android Fastboot Android Fastboot")

Code:
fastboot devices
make sure recovery.img is in your current directory and run the following to actually flash twrp to recovery
(there should be some output saying it's flashing it. takes about 5 seconds)

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
reboot to normal system:
Code:
fastboot reboot
wait until device has started up and run the following to start twrp
Code:
adb reboot recovery
FWIW fastboot reboot recovery doesn't seem to work... there was something in some forum about long-pressing the power button (while unplugged) to enter recovery mode but i haven't tried that yet

let me know if the above is descriptive enough and i'll update the README accordingly
It is descriptive enough, will try this over the weekends, appreciate the reply! Will update you once I tried it.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:59 AM   #8
iscilyas

Cool

Quote:
It is descriptive enough, will try this over the weekends, appreciate the reply! Will update you once I tried it.
OK i updated the README on github accordingly... thanks for the feedback
Old 03-07-2024, 09:36 PM   #9
litrpguy
Enthusiast

https://imgur.com/gallery/JFnUjyy

Tried it and I can't seem to get the fastboot mode on but I'll look for other information regarding this.

Last edited by litrpguy; 03-07-2024 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:03 AM   #10
Waldy
Connoisseur
Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Waldy once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/JFnUjyy

Tried it and I can't seem to get the fastboot mode on but I'll look for other information regarding this.
Install usb drivers

On Vision 6, you can also install TWRP using this method:
video

TWRP_Tolino-Vision-6.zip

Last edited by Waldy; 03-16-2024 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:14 AM   #11
Waldy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Code:
adb shell find /dev/block > epos3-blocklist.txt
and send me the file epos3-blocklist.txt that it generates? then i'll send you an updated recovery.fstab that should work on the Epos 3.
I'm not sure I did the right thing
epos3-blocklist.txt

Maybe you need this too?
epos3-getprop.txt
Attached Files
File Type: txt epos3-blocklist.txt (1.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: txt epos3-getprop.txt (10.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:05 AM   #12
iscilyas

Quote:
I'm not sure I did the right thing
epos3-blocklist.txt

Maybe you need this too?
epos3-getprop.txt
hey thanks! yeah i would have eventually needed the getprop output as well

i'm just going on a hunch here, but am i right in assuming the blocklist you sent is from regular android boot, not (tolino vision 6) twrp? can you double check? i want the blocklist as seen by twrp (i was expecting something more like /dev/block/platform/soc/xxx/by-name/yyy instead of /dev/block/by-name/yyy)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
Waldy
Connoisseur

Quote:
hey thanks! yeah i would have eventually needed the getprop output as well

i'm just going on a hunch here, but am i right in assuming the blocklist you sent is from regular android boot, not (tolino vision 6) twrp? can you double check? i want the blocklist as seen by twrp (i was expecting something more like /dev/block/platform/soc/xxx/by-name/yyy instead of /dev/block/by-name/yyy)
Yes, my mistake.
I returned to stock recovery.
Here from under twrp:
Attached Files
File Type: txt epos3-blocklist under twrp.txt (3.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 08:46 PM   #14
litrpguy
Enthusiast

The video helped greatly, thanks guys

Quote:
Install usb drivers

On Vision 6, you can also install TWRP using this method:
video

TWRP_Tolino-Vision-6.zip
Waldy for the video walkthrough, I really appreciate it
Old 03-09-2024, 12:22 AM   #15
iscilyas

Question

Quote:
Yes, my mistake.
I returned to stock recovery.
Here from under twrp:
hey thanks for the block list.

it looks like the same disk layout as on the nook glowlight 4 (the one ported by @Ryogo-X)... that's odd. what happens with TWRP for Nook Glowlight 4 if you put it on the Epos 3? Doesn't boot at all? Maybe different kernels then...

anyway, if you send me the stock recovery image for Epos 3 (i'm assuming it's pretty much identical to that on the Vision 6, but let's play it safe) i'll build TWRP for it and send it to you for testing.

also if you give me the recovery (and getprop output) for the Shine 4 i'll see if i can't make it right-side-up..

and last but not least, if you can give me the usb vendorid/productid as reported by both of these devices i'll try to make that do the right thing too...

PS: i'm on a metered mobile internet thing so i didn't want to download those video/twrp links you sent earlier... is that the same twrp i built or did someone else do it too?