Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Calibre on WSL, .note.ABI-tag "bug"

On Debian running natively the script works fine. On Debian running in WSL1 I get the trace below. Some searching around lead me to this bug report for WSL regarding shared libraries.

https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3023

Sure enough, the distributed libQt6Core.so.6 include the magic "for GNU/Linux 3.17.0" string. Stripping the .note.ABI-tag from the library makes it work.

Code:
[xyz: ~]$ ./calibre.sh
2022-09-16 16:03:32 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [33493/33493] -> "-" [1]
Using python executable: /usr/bin/python3
Installing to /opt/calibre
Downloading tarball signature securely...
Using previously downloaded calibre-6.5.0-x86_64.txz
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Failed to import PyQt module: PyQt6.QtCore with error: libQt6Core.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
  File "runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
  File "site.py", line 45, in <module>
  File "site.py", line 39, in main
  File "bypy-importer.py", line 279, in exec_module
  File "calibre/linux.py", line 12, in <module>
  File "calibre/customize/ui.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 704, in <module>
  File "calibre/devices/kindle/driver.py", line 5, in <module>
  File "calibre/devices/kindle/apnx.py", line 20, in <module>
  File "calibre/devices/kindle/apnx_page_generator/generators/accurate_page_generator.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "calibre/devices/kindle/apnx_page_generator/generators/fast_page_generator.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "calibre/devices/kindle/apnx_page_generator/i_page_generator.py", line 10, in <module>
  File "calibre/ebooks/mobi/reader/mobi6.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "calibre/utils/img.py", line 13, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'QBuffer' from 'qt.core' (/opt/calibre/lib/calibre-extensions/python-lib.bypy.frozen/qt/core.pyc)
Run "calibre" to start calibre
[xyz: ~]$
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting wy are you running calibre on WSL when it has native windows binaries witht he same functionality?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because I'm a Unix person. I do nearly all my command line stuff in bash.

While I could rewrite my wrapper scripts to invoke the Windows ebook-convert, it's really clunky making WSL run Windows native executables. Easier for me, and portable with native Linux which I also use, to just install it in WSL as well.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well you will have ot wait for wither Qt, or microsoft or glibc to change and the change to make it into the calibre builds, in the meantime just patch the binaries.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
ratinox
Fanatic

But the bug is the installer doesn't finish. It errors out because of the included library. I can't patch the installer because of the signature check; you are the only one who can do that.
Advert
Old 09-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The installer is a python script that unpacks a tarball, you can unpack it yourself and not run the installer at all. See the instructions on the linux download page.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
ratinox
Fanatic

This does not fix the bug in your package. But since you're more interested in giving me a hard time over it instead of addressing this bug I guess I'm on my own and maybe won't be using Calibre much longer.

HAND.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
This does not fix the bug in your package. But since you're more interested in giving me a hard time over it instead of addressing this bug.
Given that this "bug" does not seem to be an issue under the versions of Linux that I've tested, Windows or MacOS, your logic in claiming that an issue that on your system happens under Windows running Windows Subsystem for Linux is a bug in calibre is a trifle hard to follow.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #9
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that this "bug" does not seem to be an issue under the versions of Linux that I've tested, Windows or MacOS, your logic in claiming that an issue that on your system happens under Windows running Windows Subsystem for Linux is a bug in calibre is a trifle hard to follow.
Why this is not a WSL bug: Further reading has shown me that buggy .note.ABI-tags is not a common problem but the bug affects any Linux system that does not like the tag in a given library, not just WSL.

Why this is a Calibre bug: This buggy library, libQt6Core.so.6, is distributed with Calibre and blocks installation and running of Calibre on any Linux system affected by this bug. Therefore it is a bug in Calibre.

Note: none of the other libraries distributed with Calibre have this bug. Only libQt6Core.so.6.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm curious if the same issue exists with WSL 2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
This does not fix the bug in your package. But since you're more interested in giving me a hard time over it instead of addressing this bug I guess I'm on my own and maybe won't be using Calibre much longer.

HAND.
Oh the horror!! You wont use calibre much longer, whatever will I do without you.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #12
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm curious if the same issue exists with WSL 2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Probably not given the different architecture.

Last edited by ratinox; 09-19-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #13
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh the horror!! You wont use calibre much longer, whatever will I do without you.
Just keep treating users like this and you'll find out.

Last edited by ratinox; 09-19-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Do you have any clue on how many ACTIVE users Calibre has?
Quote:
Active installs: 3,049,074 (those that have started calibre at least once in the last 60 days)
Your attitude ABOUT A FAIRLY UNUSUAL usage, says NO.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Shudder. I am dying of trepidation. Please sir, spare me your wrath.