Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've never been able to get past the first chapter.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #17
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
If you want to read a more "traditional" S/F take on much of the same subject, I recommend John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider from 1975. Much more of "what comes next", but in many ways equally disturbing....
Yes!
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
1. The "action" takes a VERY long time to get underway. The entire beginning of the book is dedicated to a back-story that is neither interesting or particularly relevant to rest of the story.
That's because it's not an action book. The world building and characters are what drive the story.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
I think it's one of those books that you really have to be in the right mood to appreciate. I found it to be wonderfully bleak...
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Anyone read an interview with Gibson in the Paris Review? http://store.theparisreview.org/prod...97-summer-2011

Great comment about Neuromancer (posted over at Boing Boing) --

INTERVIEWER

"What do you think of Neuromancer today? "

GIBSON

"When I look at Neuromancer I see a Soap Box Derby car. I felt, writing it, like I had two-by-fours and an old bicycle wheel and I’m supposed to build something that will catch a Ferrari. This is not going to fly, I thought. But I tried to do it anyway, and I produced this garage artifact, which, amazingly, is still running to this day.

Even so, I got to the end of it, and I didn’t care what it meant, I didn’t even know if it made any sense as a narrative. I didn’t have this huge feeling of, Wow, I just wrote a novel! I didn’t think it might win an award. I just thought, Phew! Now I can figure out how to write an actual novel."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
kennyc

Thanks for that. There are lot of great interviews on the Paris Review site!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #22
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
To each their own... Science Fiction, like all literature, comes in many subcategories.

I read it about 3 years ago and a second time in the last year. I think that I enjoyed it more the second time.
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think most readers can be divided into two basic categories. Some of us are very story driven. We might want characters, and great descriptions, but if we keep scratching our heads wondering, when anything is going to happen, we get bored with a story. Others might enjoy stories, but they read book for qualities you can't really find in say movies or TV; they want vivid descriptions, they want characters they know better than their own family and they want interesting use of language.
--
Of course Sci-Fi throws a monkey wrench in it all, because there are some readers of that genre who read it for the scientific ideas .
--
I am definitely in the first category. I was able to get through Neuromancer, but it is hardly a book I would feel compelled to read again.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I've also been disappointed by Neuromancer. I consider his other books better, for example Idoru (YES, you can write a book about the Japanese without uttering the word "katana" ! Amazing). But perhaps even better are Gibson's short stories. Dogfight was amazing, and I can't say why without spoiling anything. I also liked The Belonging Kind.

I think that Neuromancer was influential in the same way Citizen Kane was. It pioneered certain ideas and spread them so much to the point where it stops looking interesting. I watched Citizen Kane and I was mildly bored. I guess to enjoy it you would have to either a) know a lot about American culture and history or b) see the movie in the context of the movies of the era.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Never could get in to Gibson
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Horses for courses I guess, as with everything else. I've read it three times, loved it every time and it was my favourite Cyberpunk novel until Snow Crash hit the shelves.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #27
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've read it, at least twice that I can recall, shortly after it was first published and then again last year. It didn't have the same impact last year that I recall from my first reading however developments in society, many of them anticipated in Neuromancer, over the last few decades have diluted that impact but to me it is still a seminal novel.

I think the best way to describe it could actually be plagiarized from the OP's title -"Miles away from ordinary."
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
elijah
elijah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I found it a tough read, but worth it in the end. Wouldn't read it again in a hurry though.
elijah is offline   Reply With Quote