Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
screen-spanning frames; how to get them to obey padding?

Guys and girls, I've been wondering about this for some time.

When using boxes that set content apart using divs with a padding and a background-color, they sometimes/often spill over into new screens. It would be nice if the box would respect the top and bottom padding from the initial div in the new screen. Otherwise, it just looks unfinished and messy to me. (see the screenshot.)

Left and right padding are fine, obviously.

I've been diving into the epub spec and can't find a way to control this. Has any of the grand MB wizards bright ideas on how to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 11.36.53.png
Views:	171
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	144444  
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If I understand you correctly, that can only be done in fixed-layout.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Toxaris. I thought as much, but I thought I might as well throw it out there just in case anyone has found a miracle cure.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I vaguely recall asking for that functionality a couple of years ago as an addition to the CSS spec, and the CSS folks suggested that there's something something coming in a future update that could provide it. I don't remember what, exactly—maybe CSS rules that apply based on whether something is the first element in a given flow to appear on a page. So eventually, this might be possible.

If you just want a margin there and don't care about it being padded to a particular color, you could use margins on the page itself (in readers that support it, such as iBooks).

You might also be able to use positive and negative margins on paragraphs, but there's a risk that you might end up with stuff cut off at the bottom of the page if you do that, so it is a tradeoff.

If you're willing to go EPUB 3, you can probably also do this with some sophisticated JavaScript.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote