Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2 View Post
Can you elaborate why? Do they both fill all my wishes?

Meanwhile I found out, that in my country (Germany) neither Kindle nor Kobo can lend books from libraries. Libraries use this Libby app, but it doesnt work here with Kindle or Kobo apparently. Only Tolino can. And I find almost noone recommending them here.
PocketBooks should also work with Overdrive (Libby). Like the Tolino, it has ADE (or something akin to to it from Adobe) built in. So you can either download the ACSM file directly from the browser on the PocketBook or (more quickly) download the ACSM file to your computer or smartphone and use the "Send-to-PocketBook" feature to send it to your PocketBook. Or send it over using your USB cable on your computer. The PocketBook device downloads the actual ePub (specified in the ACSM file) from wherever they're stored — Adobe servers?

There's also a DropBox App included with PocketBooks. (I've never used it.)

PocketBook has smartphone apps for Android or iOS that should keep your book synchronized between your PocketBook device and your smartphone. (The PocketBook Cloud is sometimes a little glitchy.) You can upload books to the PocketBook Cloud (even your own books) and they will sync between devices. (There is a limited amount of space for this on PocketBook's server, however.)

When you register your PocketBook (if you do) you can also register with the PocketBook book store. I don't use it much because most of the books are German. Any eBook store that sells ePubs should also work for the PocketBook. Some, like eBooks.com will allow you to directly download the .ACSM file from the Pocketbook's browser. (If you have the patience to use an E-Ink browser.)

I use the Websters 3rd New International Dictionary for English, it works well on my Touch HD 3 (which was replaced by the Verse Pro). I can't remember where I downloaded it now, but the link is somewhere in the PocketBook forum. (Under the subject heading of "dictionary.") You used to be able to buy the English Oxford (Compact) dictionary, like what is used on the Kindle, Kobo and the old Sonys, but that's no longer available. I have it on my old PocketBook Touch Lux 3, but it stays with device, I can't move my newer PocketBook.

With Calibre and its add-ons you can clear ePub DRM if you would like to edit your own books.

Good luck in your search.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:53 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2 View Post
I asked around and did a bit more research and was also told that in Germany I couldnt get Libby on a Kobo, only on a Tolino and their firmware is apparently not so great and they cant do Amazon books.
Although PocketBook supports AZW (Amazon) format directly now, it won't support Kindle books with DRM. It would probably be better to convert them to ePub, which is supported better on the PocketBook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:59 PM   #18
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What's that got to do with anything? I also used Kindles before I switched to Kobos.
people love familiarity.
even you had many 'kindles'! before leveling up to a kobo
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:50 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm confused by your comment. Downloading the book with ADE doesn't mean you have to remove the DRM. You can then load the borrowed book straight onto the kobo with ADE.
I believe he's using Linux Mint and doesn't want to deal with using WINE to run ADE, which means the only way for him to redeem an ACSM file is with the DeACSM Calibre plugin, which means the DRM will be removed when the book gets imported into Calibre. I've never used the plugin, but I believe it has a "return" option when you're using it to download library books, so you can manage your book loans with it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 PM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The following is my opinion:

The Kindle Oasis is built better than the Kobo Libre 2.
It's being discontinued.
You can disable the touch screen and hold the damn thing any way you wish.
Something may replace it, but who knows...

The Kobo Libre 2 has better firmware than the Kindle Oasis.
It's body is made out of plastic.
It has the better screen.
Mine has a crack on the side of the plastic body.

I thoroughly enjoy then both, but for different reasons.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote