Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #46
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can buy the audio adapter standalone now (I just did):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGVVG92/
I put 1 in my cart....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I wonder if there are any legal issues leading them toward only having TTS in conjunction with a mode for the sight impaired.
Amazon seems to confine publisher restrictions on TTS to TTS feature alone.

So for example when a publisher prohibits TTS for a given book, TTS (on Fire or older Kindles that had TTS) cannot be used with those books. But when a system level Accessibility feature is used to read text (on FireOS, Android, iOS), this is always allowed, regardless of publisher restrictions on TTS.

One of the things I'd like to confirm with the audio adapter is ability to read out books with TTS 'disabled'. I expect it to work. I won't get it until end of next week however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #48
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ahhh, since the adapter *is* sold separately .... I wonder why it's only for the Paperwhite? And not the Voyage or Oasis.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ahhh, since the adapter *is* sold separately .... I wonder why it's only for the Paperwhite? And not the Voyage or Oasis.
The software for the Paperwhite (7th Gen) is 5.7.4.1. For the Oasis, Voyage, and K7, it's 5.7.4. That last .1 must be the reason why it's only for the Paperwhite (7th Gen) at this time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #50
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Also seems to be only sold on the .com site, and not in any other countries which is a bit weird.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
It is the only one they have released compatible firmware for thus far. Ideally, all currently shipping Kindles will get updates (including $79 Kindle). But Amazon does not want to over-promise.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I wonder why they chose the Paperwhite? Is it their biggest seller?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I wonder why they chose the Paperwhite? Is it their biggest seller?
I would say yes to the PW3 being the biggest seller.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #54
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just ordered one also. It's due Friday. I was too late to get it tomorrow with one day shipping.

I have no real interest in using TTS but I'm real curious about this thing and I want to take a look. And I probably can sell it to one of my neighbors when I'm done.

I've always had a kind of academic interest in TTS. I just don't care for it in books. I wrote a driver for an early TTS chip back in the early 1980's and a screen reader for the Radio Shack Color Computer for use by a friend's blind brother so he could use the computer. It was passed around a lot as freeware by Color Computer users.

Since then I've made it a point to listen to TTS about every year or two to see how it's grown. It's a million times better than it was when I was writing for it but it's still not something I want to use for books, at least not while I can read okay.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #55
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would people that Cant see even want to buy a PW? Crazy...
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #56
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I live in a retirement home and one of the other residents here was an avid reader all her life and then she began losing her vision. She could see a little but not well enough to read. I got her started with audiobooks and she was fine till she began to lose her hearing. Also audiobooks are a lot more expensive.

After several surgeries she can still barely see and she's now able to hear a little. She no longer lives here but she came to visit not long ago and I gave her a few more old audiobooks.

Just think if she had a Paperwhite 3 with this device. I could put a thousand books on it and it could read them to her. Assuming she could easily control it, and I have no idea about that yet, it would be ideal. I'm pretty sure she'll want one if she can make it work.

Anyway I have a PW3 and when I get this thing I can try it out and if it seems plausible I'll get in touch with her and see what happens. It would be ideal for her.

The same thing could be done with a Kindle Fire but that has a pretty complicated interface. She tried a tablet a long time ago and wasn't able to make it work. Hopefully this will be easier.

It's not crazy. It's about people who love to read and have limitations and the more choices they have the better chance there'll be something that works for them. There's nothing at all crazy about that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #57
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Guessing you cant READ Barry. Never said the thing was Crazy. But I think it Crazy to have it work on a PW. None of my Blind friends which I have several bother with Lights. Why Not have it Work on the Basic? Its Cheaper And No Lights makes it one lees thing the Blind have to worry about. Saves Battery also.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #58
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

TTS was the Main reason I hung on to my K3 Long after I couldn't see the words to read them. As said TTS is Not available on all e-books. I be interested in this working with e-books that don't have TTS. That being said I will what till some gets theirs & hope they let the rest of us know. I myself have Too many returns already I don't need another one
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Guessing you cant READ Barry. Never said the thing was Crazy. But I think it Crazy to have it work on a PW. None of my Blind friends which I have several bother with Lights. Why Not have it Work on the Basic? Its Cheaper And No Lights makes it one lees thing the Blind have to worry about. Saves Battery also.
Because the basic is going t be replaced. The new basic is codenamed "Woody".
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
As said TTS is Not available on all e-books. I be interested in this working with e-books that don't have TTS.
I think that the DeDRM plugin also enables TTS on Kindle books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote