Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
esunk
esunk began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Can't eject K3 on Windows 7 now

I just plugged my new K3 in as usual heard the usual noise Windows 7 makes to show a new drive was plugged in and the K3 is in USB Drive mode, but the Kindle isn't showing up in Windows 7. I see it in Device Manager, though... Any ideas on what to do now?

I rebooted, Windows still couldn't see it. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and still no luck. I turned it off and now it won't turn back on. WTF is going on? I just got this thing.

The first day I had it, I plugged it in exactly as they said and ejected it exactly as they said and when I plugged it back it Windows 7 said there were some filesystem errors that needed to be fixed. Windows supposedly fixed them and it was working okay until tonight when I plugged it in again and Windows 7 can't find it.

I rebooted it and now I'm looking at a blank screen and can't get the thing to turn back on.

Update: I did a reset to factory settings and still have all my categories, except all the books on the K3 are gone except for 3 that I put on and 4 archived books (7 total).

I plugged it into my computer again and this time Windows found it. I have a degree in computers, and I can't figure out why I'm having these problems. Is it me, the Kindle or Windows 7?

Last edited by esunk; 06-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.
esunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the battery is low? Leave it plugged in overnight, and then see what happens. If it's a new Kindle, the battery gauge may not be reading correctly - it can take a couple of charge/discharge cycles for it to correctly calibrate.

If you continue to have problems after that, I'd suggest talking to Kindle CS and arranging a replacement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It might be worth taking a moment to eliminate the possibilities:

- Try plugging it into a different USB port. Or try plugging another device, such as a memory stick, into the port that gave the problem.

- Ditto with the computer. Try plugging it into a different computer.

At least, that will narrow it down to either the Kindle itself or the USB port or computer.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It might be worth taking a moment to eliminate the possibilities:

- Try plugging it into a different USB port. Or try plugging another device, such as a memory stick, into the port that gave the problem.

- Ditto with the computer. Try plugging it into a different computer.

At least, that will narrow it down to either the Kindle itself or the USB port or computer.
Yes, there are really only three possibilities: the Kindle, the USB cable, and the USB port. By systematically varying these, it should be possible to determine the source of the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
When all is said and done, to windows 7, your Kindle is just a USB Drive.

If it connects fine on another computer, here's a possibility. without being connected, start, right-click computer, and go to Manage. Go to Storage, Disk Management, and take note of the drives you currently have (so you hopefully recognize if there is a new one when you do connect the Kindle).

connect the Kindle, and refresh that screen. If you get a new drive, confirm it has a drive letter; you may need to right-click that new drive (if you get one) and give it a different drive letter. If you're lucky, Windows 7 just got confused about what drive letter it should assign.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
esunk
esunk began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Thanks guys, the battery was almost full and I had actually tried everything recommended, except putting it in another computer. I brought it back to life by resetting it to factory settings. If I encounter this problem again for no apparent reason I'll definitely contact customer support, thanks!

Update: And just as I say that and plug my K3 in Windows 7 gives the error again.

Quote:
Do you want to scan and fix Kindle (I?

There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it.

Scan and fix (recommended

Continue without scanning
Give me a break! Minutes had passed since the Windows 7 progress bar of the files being copied had gone away. I ejected the Kindle by going to Start/Computer/Right click Kindle and clicking on eject and even waiting a little while after being told it was safe to eject. I plugged it in today and Windows 7 says I didn't do it right???

Last edited by esunk; 06-24-2011 at 07:52 AM.
esunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Do you have a regular USB memory? Kindle is recognized as one. Try plug in one and see what Windows does. Then unplug. Windows is just crap ... could be the Os itself. It happened to me before, found was a Os problem and the USB port and everything was working fine under Ubuntu.

Maybe is not the same issue but give it a try ... you will also check the USB port status this way also ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by esunk
There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc. This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it.
I kept getting that same error—only on Vista—but I just ignored it and it eventually quit coming up. I never did let it "scan and fix"... basically because that seemed like a horrible idea to me (the 'fix', not so much the 'scan').

Also, Windows uses "delayed write" crap with external drives that really has nothing to do with when the pretty graphic says it's done copying files. But it should complete any pending writes when you successfully "eject" the device.

You definitely shouldn't have to do a Factory Reset, though. If it happens again, I'd just call Kindle CS.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote