Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2022, 04:50 AM   #106
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I loved War and Peace, I've read it three times. Excellent book. The one I really didn't care too much for was Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. That was quite a slog to get through. The coincidences that occurred were also a bit unbelievable. A good work no doubt, I just found it tiring. I mean about 70 pages for the battle of Waterloo with just some tangential relevance to the story with the Thenardiers and Marius' father was a bit much. I actually pulled the rip cord there once, then a few years later went back and slogged through the whole book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #107
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
These aren’t classics, and they’re very highly rated. However I found The Name of the Rose and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance tedious and pretentious, back when I read them. I always suspected that many of my friends, who absolutely idolized them, hadn’t actually read them.
I genuinely enjoyed them both, though Zen was a while back when I was more patient. Thought Rose did have a few pages where it went on. The movie was great, which I think shows it has a good story line. I tried Foucalt's Pendulum. Now that seriously went on...First chapter is great though. Quit after that.

Quote:
A bit off topic, but I also don’t understand how anyone could like Thomas Hardy. Admire his writing, definitely, but to me, enjoying Hardy is like claiming to enjoy a toothache.
Yeah, don't like Hardy. Long-winded, like most of the stuff from that period.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #108
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I got through the whole of Don Quixote, and although it was a slog in places, it left a lasting impression on me. It has two scenes that actually made me laugh out loud they were so funny, and I don't think any other book has got more than a chuckle out of me.
I think lengthy tomes, if you can stick with them, are more able to leave a lasting impression. I have gradually read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons over the last year or so. And now near the end, the characters have soaked into me. I won't forget them. I guess it's the same with King, if you can stick with it.

But those old classics are going to be tough to hang with. Particularly with all the long-winded sentences and description.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:16 AM   #109
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
I absolutely agree, Hardy was a master in many ways. I do appreciate his genius, but similar to Margaret Atwood’s, from a safe distance. I can’t see the pleasure, outside of a literature course, but they’re certainly not tedious, and I never found Hardy pretentious. So I was off topic.
I would not call Hardy pretentious for sure. I didn't pick that. But tedious...oh, yeah.

I found Tess particularly hard because Tess herself was a victim. I appreciate the point of her situation, and why it is a feminist classic. But as a story, I just wanted her to get a rifle and shoot someone. I found her passivity frustrating.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
The one I really didn't care too much for was Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. That was quite a slog to get through. The coincidences that occurred were also a bit unbelievable. A good work no doubt, I just found it tiring. I mean about 70 pages for the battle of Waterloo with just some tangential relevance to the story with the Thenardiers and Marius' father was a bit much. I actually pulled the rip cord there once, then a few years later went back and slogged through the whole book.

I have often wondered, when so many people tend to see a book as a slog, what kind of mind it takes to read it and think "This would make a great Broadway musical!" and be right!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #111
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I have often wondered, when so many people tend to see a book as a slog, what kind of mind it takes to read it and think "This would make a great Broadway musical!" and be right!
Yes,,,Jaws, the Musical!

Or better yet, Jude the Obscure! The hit title song, "Don't Leave me Hanging...."

:-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #112
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I loved War and Peace, I've read it three times. Excellent book. The one I really didn't care too much for was Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. That was quite a slog to get through. The coincidences that occurred were also a bit unbelievable. A good work no doubt, I just found it tiring. I mean about 70 pages for the battle of Waterloo with just some tangential relevance to the story with the Thenardiers and Marius' father was a bit much. I actually pulled the rip cord there once, then a few years later went back and slogged through the whole book.
Long ago I read an article where they talked about books where the abridged versions were better. Mainly the old serialized novels.

In particular, I remember the example of Les Miserables and the wish to cut out the section on the Parisian sewers among others.

I think The Count of Monte Cristo was another example.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes,,,Jaws, the Musical!
Carrie, King Kong and The Vampire Lestat all got musical adaptations. So be careful what you wish for.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:23 PM   #114
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I genuinely enjoyed them both, though Zen was a while back when I was more patient. Thought Rose did have a few pages where it went on. The movie was great, which I think shows it has a good story line. I tried Foucalt's Pendulum. Now that seriously went on...First chapter is great though. Quit after that.
Thank you - you’ve jogged my memory, and I misspoke. Your post sent me looking at his book descriptions again. It was actually Pendulum that I tried and gave up on. It plodded on and on.

Quote:
….I found Tess particularly hard because Tess herself was a victim. I appreciate the point of her situation, and why it is a feminist classic. But as a story, I just wanted her to get a rifle and shoot someone. I found her passivity frustrating.
I agree, you can sympathize with Tess, but her passivity is maddening.

Last edited by Victoria; 02-22-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #115
Pajamaman
Wizard

FWIW I thought name of the rose a great book. But everything after by Eco, nah... Its waffle.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #116
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
FWIW I thought name of the rose a great book. But everything after by Eco, nah... Its waffle.
I had seen the movie first, very unusual for me, and I think it tainted everything. Not sure how--it's been a looooooooooooooooong while since I read it/viewed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:27 AM   #117
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I had seen the movie first, very unusual for me, and I think it tainted everything. Not sure how--it's been a looooooooooooooooong while since I read it/viewed.

Hitch
I also saw the movie first.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:25 AM   #118
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
Quote:
That is how i feel about Eco as well. Name of the rose, I still read it from time to time. The other books? Boring.
And the movie. Sean Connery as William. Best casting ever?
My name is Baskerville..... William of Baskerville.
fum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #119
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I don't know if it counts as a classic, but the book where I had to admit defeat was Catch-22. I got a quarter to half way into it and ended up throwing it in the waste bin. I kept waiting for it to make sense, it never did, and frustration won out.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #120
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
I don't know if it counts as a classic, but the book where I had to admit defeat was Catch-22. I got a quarter to half way into it and ended up throwing it in the waste bin. I kept waiting for it to make sense, it never did, and frustration won out.
If it had made sense by 25% in, there would be no need for the rest of the book.

Things that don't make sense that are firmly entrenched is the point of the book.

I read it when I was young, liked it a lot, and am not lying.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote