Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 11:40 PM   #16
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Yes, it's the first video of this topic.
The videos weren't actually viewable when I posted mine. There was nothing but a black box and some text.
khalleron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:46 PM   #17
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wow, I had no idea the YouTube tag required only the video ID. No wonder it didn't work the last time I tried to use it. I just gave up and posted the URL.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 12:35 AM   #18
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Wow, I had no idea the YouTube tag required only the video ID. No wonder it didn't work the last time I tried to use it. I just gave up and posted the URL.
Join the club!
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:16 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there any video reviews that show how these color Kobo look in B&W with no front light showing how black text looks?

The French reviewer has the light on too high as well as not showing us how it looks with no light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:53 AM   #20
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are there any video reviews that show how these color Kobo look in B&W with no front light showing how black text looks?

The French reviewer has the light on too high as well as not showing us how it looks with no light.
You will have a good look on this Reddit Post in the Kobo community.

A comment by the OP about the screen with no backlight : "I’d say the screen-door effect makes everything sliiiiightly grainier than my other ereader, but I’m so perplexed because the tradeoff is the beautiful colour book covers and highlighting. So I think it can be worth the tradeoff if you value those things!"

His other ereader is a Paperwhite 4.

Last edited by deleted2; 04-18-2024 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added OP comment
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 10:07 AM   #21
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
You will have a good look on this Reddit Post in the Kobo community.

A comment by the OP about the screen with no backlight : "I’d say the screen-door effect makes everything sliiiiightly grainier than my other ereader, but I’m so perplexed because the tradeoff is the beautiful colour book covers and highlighting. So I think it can be worth the tradeoff if you value those things!"

His other ereader is a Paperwhite 4.
Concerning the screen door effect the reddit post shows what that means. Up to this point I had no idea what people were talking about. I have a Boox Note Air 3C and I just cannot see it. Looking at the reddit post, I did not think it was all that bad. Sort of reminds me of the grains in the paper of a printed book lol.

EDIT: I pulled out a *magnifying glass* to look at my NA3C and with the help of that I can indeed see the screen door effect. Fortunately I do not read with a magnifying glass....
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:18 AM   #22
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post

EDIT: I pulled out a *magnifying glass* to look at my NA3C and with the help of that I can indeed see the screen door effect. Fortunately I do not read with a magnifying glass....

But I do read with glasses, even if I can make the font bigger. Old age got me.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:22 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
It's only easy to see on large SD TV (or very large HD) sets at reading rather than viewing distance.

You won't see it reading any 150 dpi color Kaleido screen. Maybe not even very visible at 96 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's only easy to see on large SD TV (or very large HD) sets at reading rather than viewing distance.

You won't see it reading any 150 dpi color Kaleido screen. Maybe not even very visible at 96 dpi.
You still have an old CRT TV? When I last looked at a CRT TV in the UK, the flicker was so bad, that I could easily see getting a severe headache.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:22 PM   #25
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:

But I do read with glasses, even if I can make the font bigger. Old age got me.
Yes, me too. I can't read my medicine bottles without my readers
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:37 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You still have an old CRT TV? When I last looked at a CRT TV in the UK, the flicker was so bad, that I could easily see getting a severe headache.
No, not that's used. I do have some small "vintage" ones in the attic. One is 2" with a radio. They are mono, so no pixels. The bigger colour ones are long gone.

Anyway, I was writing about LCD/OLED TVs, not CRTS. Do read the posts. Colour CRTs never had the the screen blind effect as such, though you could easily see the pixels if up close at reading distance.

Must have been a faulty TV.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-18-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:50 AM   #27
deleted2
Member Retired

Here's another video review of the Libra Colour in comparison to the Kindle Paperwhite.

Guess who wins?

PS : He talks a lot, and doesn't show much of the devices.

Last edited by deleted2; 04-19-2024 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added an apreciation of the video
Old 04-19-2024, 02:42 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Here's another video review of the Libra Colour in comparison to the Kindle Paperwhite.

Guess who wins?

PS : He talks a lot, and doesn't show much of the devices.
For me, the laugh was when he brought up the rumour about Amazon bringing out a colour ereader with a Gallery 3/ACeP display crediting it to GoodeReader.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:16 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, not that's used. I do have some small "vintage" ones in the attic. One is 2" with a radio. They are mono, so no pixels. The bigger colour ones are long gone.

Anyway, I was writing about LCD/OLED TVs, not CRTS. Do read the posts. Colour CRTs never had the the screen blind effect as such, though you could easily see the pixels if up close at reading distance.

Must have been a faulty TV.
What LCD TV is SD? I thought the worst you got back when was HD Ready.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:12 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
What LCD TV is SD? I thought the worst you got back when was HD Ready.
No HD Ready TV with a DVB-T tuner could ever pickup HDTV from an aerial in UK or Ireland. The UK HD Ready sets (almost all sold in Ireland) with only DVB-T tuners didn't work in Ireland and don't work in Ireland for even SD Dgitial. They were still selling them in 2014 at least, two years after Analogue Switch off.

Also HD ready just means the HDMI will accept 1920 x 1080 and downscale it. None have 1080 display. They varied from 480 lines (some Plasma models) to 900 lines with 720 and 768 being common.

There are now some smaller screen HD Ready sets with DVB-T2 tuners for the UK market imported. As these also support H.264.

The USA supports a different system for digital from an aerial. Also there an issue with 24fps Film pulldown to 30i NTSC, so the USA had pseudo HD via component video to allow progressive DVD playback without the artefacts. Component and progressive was almost never seen in Europe before digital HDTV, because PAL doesn't need it. They simply play the 24 fps at 25fps and adjust the sound pitch by 5/6ths at the DVD mastering, which are 576 lines vs the 480 lines on NTSC DVDs. So even 720p isn't a big deal in Europe and hardly used. HD on the aerial, dish or cable is mostly 1440 x 1080 and from disk, console or computer 1920 x 1080.

HD Ready was a big lie and now a small lie. You needed a setbox (till DVB-T2 sets common) and even then the quality poorer than so called "Full HD".

Our company did surveys of all city shops selling TVs. The UK owned chains especially had the attitude, well, they'll be used with Cable or Satellite. But the UK FTA satellite has no Irish channels. It was only a few local owned speciality shops that had sourced DVB-T TVs with H.264.
Hong Kong (but not China) setboxes worked/work here. The UK setboxes for digital SD TV off air didn't/don't work here.