Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 09:46 AM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...I have no kids or any other dependants (except for my cat), so I can spend all my disposable income on myself.
Life goals. That was what I was trying to do as well. I just wanted to pay off my house and retire early (and move to a different state). But then I suddenly got custody of my eight year old niece and became a parent and everything is up in the air. Let me tell you, paying for braces sucks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:56 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Isn't 100 books what you read a month not a year? ...
I wish, although it would cut into my golf time; I'm not a fast reader.

Looking at your stats, it looks like you read 5 hours a day. I probably read half of that lately and am lucky to get in 50 books a year.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2024, 12:25 PM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Slow chauffeured golf cart thing and read between holes on a very big course.
Or give up sleeping.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But then I suddenly got custody of my eight year old niece and became a parent and everything is up in the air. Let me tell you, paying for braces sucks.
A gentle lead up to paying for College and a wedding and a down payment on a house and ...
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:56 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Life goals. That was what I was trying to do as well. I just wanted to pay off my house and retire early (and move to a different state). But then I suddenly got custody of my eight year old niece and became a parent and everything is up in the air. Let me tell you, paying for braces sucks.
Oh, I know. I have seen up close what it means to raise kids (that may have had something to do with the fact that I never felt any urge to have my own). Fortunately both my nieces are well in their thirties now (my sister is a lot older than me). And as their kids have several closer relatives than I, it's very unlikely I'll ever get saddled with the task of kid-raising.

I have nothing against children in principle. I just personally don't want to have any. Not a motherly type at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2024, 01:59 PM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
A gentle lead up to paying for College and a wedding and a down payment on a house and ...
A cultural / different country thing. I know few people whose parents paid for braces, college (University), and even much on the wedding, nothing much on the house except a wedding present.

Some places have free (or nearly so) health care and education. A wedding is as cheap or expensive as you want. People might rent or save their own deposit.

Perhaps the niece will enrich your life.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:18 PM   #52
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Looking at your stats, it looks like you read 5 hours a day. I probably read half of that lately and am lucky to get in 50 books a year.
I'm not a fast reader either. I'm a slow eater too. I walk slowly. I take my time.
I never counted how many books I read. Some are very long, others shorter, so it doesn't really say much. But my wife can read 3 books while I read one!
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:50 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yeah, the fun never stops.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:55 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some places have free (or nearly so) health care and education.
Yes, but I live in Texas

Quote:
Perhaps the niece will enrich your life.
Oh yeah. We watched Little Shop of Horrors last night (with the original, everybody dies and Audrey II goes on a rampage ending), her first time seeing it. I keep hoping a theatrical production will come around. Showing her stuff that's old to everyone else but new to her is great.

On the downside, she's twelve now and is moving from teenybopper music to an interest in Rob Zombie, Guns n' Roses and Pearl Jam

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-18-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:00 AM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I never counted how many books I read.
I think that is wise. I started simple reading challenges on Goodreads and then MR Reader's challenge on The Storygraph. I enjoyed them, but noticed I was tailoring my reading too much and started leaning on shorter works to pump up my numbers.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Yes, but I live in Texas
But you've loads of outdoors.

Quote:
Showing her stuff that's old to everyone else but new to her is great.
Original Blues Brothers movie soon.
Willow. George Lucas's best movie.

Later the 1930s to 1950s classics. But not the too edited from Original Cloying Disney. Key Largo.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:41 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But you've loads of outdoors.

Original Blues Brothers movie soon.
Willow. George Lucas's best movie.

Later the 1930s to 1950s classics. But not the too edited from Original Cloying Disney. Key Largo.
The Blues Brothers movie won't make a lot of sense unless you've seen SNL with the original cast.

As for George Lucas, give American Graffiti a go.

There are lots of classic movies. I quite like the musical version of A Little Shop of Horrors.

There are lots of really good movies. It just depends on what you might like.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:51 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Blues Brothers movie won't make a lot of sense unless you've seen SNL with the original cast.
Not true. Everyone I know that's seen BB thinks it's brilliant and classic. I don't believe any of them have seen SNL. I know what it is, but I don't think it's been on TV here.

The sequel isn't so great, but OK.

American Graffiti, while it has it's own worth is chalk to the cheese. Or cheap beer vs fine fine. It's a completely different Genre and for older people than would enjoy Williow.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:50 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
American Graffiti, while it has it's own worth is chalk to the cheese. Or cheap beer vs fine fine. It's a completely different Genre and for older people than would enjoy Williow.
I hope you aren't comparing American Graffiti to Willow and finding American Graffiti the lesser...

Incidentally, have you read the Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy by Chris Claremont and Lucas?
Old 04-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I hope you aren't comparing American Graffiti to Willow and finding American Graffiti the lesser...
Impossible. They are too different.
Sometimes you need to draw on the pavement (sidewalk) and other times you want a nice bap (round bread roll, but not like McD).

Some people only drink cheap beer and hate any kind of wine, but that was a misleading comparison to add.

Now if you'd asked me about Willow vs The Princess Bride?

Hard too to believe William Goldman wrote "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid" too, and "All the President's Men".

The Princess Bride has more good quotes than the Godfather.
"Some day everyone one will be wearing masks"
"Only mostly dead"
"That word does not mean..."

Quote:
Incidentally, have you read the Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy by Chris Claremont and Lucas?
No.
Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn and Shadow Star.
I've "Shadow Dawn" on paper, unread as yet on the shelf. From when I used to buy random S/H books.
Maybe get the other two first.