Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 09:34 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Because I'm a responsible-ass adult. It's better when I put the two Claras in my house side-by-side. But it's not 'better enough' for me to part with $120 when I have a perfectly good working reader already.
Well, such thinking is pretty alien to me. When I want something and can afford it, I'll get it without thinking about it twice. Of course I have never thought of myself as particularly responsible or even particularly adult. And I have no kids or any other dependants (except for my cat), so I can spend all my disposable income on myself.

Not that I constantly buy everything in sight. There actually are few things that I ever feel any temptation to upgrade. I can happily wear my clothes and footwear literally to ribbons, for example. But I can't resist ereaders.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:01 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since both my spouse and I are retired & our home is paid for so other than buying small gifts for the grandchildren, our expenses are well in control. Another consideration is looking at the amount of books we go through in a month, the cost of an ereader is a small chunk of our reading costs over a year even making use of Kobo Plus. So shiny new toy has the voice in my head going "you know you want to buy me!".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 12:14 AM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Except that the Carta already meets my needs on my Clara HD. But I still get a little envious when I see the Clara 2.
Don't look at the Clara 2, then? When I said "meets your needs", I meant that you can use it without complaints. Most tech products become obsolete a few months after you buy them. If you're bothered by the fact that a technically superior device exists, even when your current device is quite pleasant to use, then you'll be trapped in a perpetual cycle of needless updates that don't really accomplish anything beyond putting you in the "I have the latest device" club for another six months.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:28 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Don't look at the Clara 2, then? When I said "meets your needs", I meant that you can use it without complaints. Most tech products become obsolete a few months after you buy them. If you're bothered by the fact that a technically superior device exists, even when your current device is quite pleasant to use, then you'll be trapped in a perpetual cycle of needless updates that don't really accomplish anything beyond putting you in the "I have the latest device" club for another six months.
That's not the only reason people buy new tech, you know. I'm not bothered by the fact that a newer model exists; I'll buy that newer model if it has a feature I'd like to have or has an improved version of a feature that's important to me. Not just because it's newer or technically superior. Whether my old device is still pleasant to use or not has absolutely no bearing on that decision.

There are folks who never upgrade unless their old device literally stops working. And then there are folks who buy every new version just because it's new. But most people fall somewhere between these two extremes - they buy new tech occasionally, but not just because they have to have the newest tech. Usually there's something about the newer model that matters to them.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-16-2024 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:39 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since both my spouse and I are retired & our home is paid for so other than buying small gifts for the grandchildren, our expenses are well in control. Another consideration is looking at the amount of books we go through in a month, the cost of an ereader is a small chunk of our reading costs over a year even making use of Kobo Plus. So shiny new toy has the voice in my head going "you know you want to buy me!".

But you've got good self control, right?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 04:43 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

But you've got good self control, right?
Self-control? What's that?
Old 04-16-2024, 05:28 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Self-control? What's that?
Like control by cats, but without the cat.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:53 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Libra 2 for sure. The Clara BW has too small a screen (IMHO).

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-16-2024 at 11:58 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:23 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So let's say one reads 100 books a year, and a Libra Colour costs $220: that's only $2.20.

Or better yet, let's go to number of words. 60,000 words per book: that's only $0.000037.

I look at it as a hobby that I spend a lot of time on, so if I want something that makes it more enjoyable, I'll purchase it (within reason (what I consider reasonable (also taking into account what my wife may think))). I don't currently feel the need/want/urge to upgrade (From a Clara 2E).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:29 AM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

In my view, life is pretty miserable in general (I don't mean mine is more miserable than others', that's why I wrote "in general") and I see no reason not to get something that will let me enjoy it more if I can afford it. Some people enjoy their frugality and the fact that they spend not a penny without a reason; if so, good for them. I don't enjoy unspent money. Possibly because I have no children, as obviously your thinking will change if you actually have someone to leave your unspent money to.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:17 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Possibly because I have no children, as obviously your thinking will change if you actually have someone to leave your unspent money to.
Most people with children seem to expect their kids to find their own income. My parents expected it.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:27 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Most people with children seem to expect their kids to find their own income. My parents expected it.
Of course, but it's also natural to want to help your kids, even after they've gained the ability to earn their own income. I guess it is, anyway.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:48 PM   #28
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No page turn buttons is a benefit. Being smaller then 7" is a drawback.
Exact opposite of that -- 6" is perfect, but lack of buttons is disappointing.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:21 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Exact opposite of that -- 6" is perfect, but lack of buttons is disappointing.
You're both wrong - the perfect ereader is 7-8" with buttons.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:47 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
You're both wrong - the perfect ereader is 7-8" with buttons.
You're right -- I wasn't correct in my response, I meant to say an updated 5" Kobo Mini with all of the modern attributes of the Clara BW and the addition of buttons on narrow, but still comfortably sized bezels, would be perfect.

Still hoping against reason that such a thing will come out some day. (yes, I'm familiar with InkPalm, etc... but prefer a dedicated device w/o Android, and with more book-like aspect ratio)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote