Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2024, 11:42 AM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Stuck on boot with flashing light

Last night I finished a book on my Libra 2 and went to open a new one. When I tried to do so I got an error about Adobe DRM, which was weird because all the books on my Libra 2 are DRM free. I tried to open a few of the books I had already read, and they all gave me the same error. I decided to restart the device, assuming that this was a transient error. After shutting the device down, when I tried to restart it the screen does not turn on and the light on the top right corner keeps flashing, but nothing else happens.

I tried to leave it on the charger for a while, and also tried to power up while holding one of the page turn buttons, but nothing works.

A quick Google search suggests that this may be a terminal issue and the errors I saw before I shut it down may suggest some kind of corruption of the SD card.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I might be able to try to restore the device, or do I have a brick in my hands?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:08 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Normally you can fix the phantom Adobe DRM error by rebooting, so it does look like your SD card is having problems. Can you still see the internal storage when you connect the Libra to a computer? If so, you could try deleting the database or restoring a database backup. Calibre can tell you when the database is corrupt.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try later today, but I don't believe it boots far enough to be detectable via USB.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:48 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin

As suspected, it does not show as a connected USB device, it doesn't seem to get far into the boot process.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:50 PM   #5
robowolf
robowolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara
This just happened with my Libra (first one). Seems to be in a boot loop, doesn't get very far - can't view on computer. I can't find any paperclip reset button, either.

Edit: I think I'm able to at least turn it off (blank screen and no flashling light) by doing this:
-Unplug
-Hold both page buttons as well as the power button down (so three buttons held down simultaneously)
-After 15 seconds, the light should stop flashing

It's worked a few times for me to turn the Libra off, but I still can't get it back to normal.

Last edited by robowolf; 04-14-2024 at 10:55 PM.
robowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 04:20 AM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oof. The only thing you could probably do now is to open it, remove the waterproof coating on the SD card, and ask in the Kobo firmware images thread for a fresh image to use on a new SD card. If that doesn't restore your Libra, then it's probably a more complex hardware failure, and you'll need a new e-reader.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:33 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robowolf View Post
This just happened with my Libra (first one). Seems to be in a boot loop, doesn't get very far - can't view on computer. I can't find any paperclip reset button, either.

Edit: I think I'm able to at least turn it off (blank screen and no flashling light) by doing this:
-Unplug
-Hold both page buttons as well as the power button down (so three buttons held down simultaneously)
-After 15 seconds, the light should stop flashing

It's worked a few times for me to turn the Libra off, but I still can't get it back to normal.
I take it that once you've managed to power off your Libra, holding a page turn button down and pressing and holding the power button for about 30 seconds maximum does not trigger the factory reset?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:04 PM   #8
robowolf
robowolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I take it that once you've managed to power off your Libra, holding a page turn button down and pressing and holding the power button for about 30 seconds maximum does not trigger the factory reset?
Correct, the ereader does nothing when I do this. It will turn on again (and repeat the loop) if I hit the power button, but does nothing with the power button + page turn down button held for 15 sec, 30 sec, or 35 sec. I also tried with the page turn up button, same result.

When it's on, pressing either page turn button (just one of them) and the power button for 15 sec now turns it off (I assume - the light stops blinking).

Edit: I wanted to correct something in my previous comment, #5: Mine is a Libra 2 as well, not the first model. Mistake.

Last edited by robowolf; 04-16-2024 at 02:07 PM.
robowolf is offline   Reply With Quote