Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 12:19 PM   #16
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's new in 4.39?
I list a lot of it here: https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/128. It's not complete though; it's patch-oriented (plus some tolino stuff), and notably, it doesn't explicitly state most UI changes, nor does it look at minor behaviour changes.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:28 PM   #17
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I list a lot of it here: https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch-patches/issues/128. It's not complete though; it's patch-oriented (plus some tolino stuff), and notably, it doesn't explicitly state most UI changes, nor does it look at minor behaviour changes.
Is Bariol available to everyone? I've been looking for a font that's solid without being too stylized, and which is legible even at smaller point sizes. Kobo Serif isn't quite it, not for me, and Caecilia is a bit too... wide, I find.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 12:38 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Is Bariol available to everyone? I've been looking for a font that's solid without being too stylized, and which is legible even at smaller point sizes. Kobo Serif isn't quite it, not for me, and Caecilia is a bit too... wide, I find.
It's intended for the tolinos, and I haven't confirmed yet, but I don't think it's available on a Kobo.

Have you considered Roboto as a legible sans-serif font at small sizes, narrower and lighter than Caecilia?

My favourite fonts for e-books (I also don't like wide, thick, large, or overly stylized) are: Equity A, Caladea, Adobe Text Pro, Gentium Plus, Charis SIL, Source Serif 4, Minion Pro.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:52 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Shouldn't there be a bug fix for the sideloading/corrupt database problem?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:48 PM   #20
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Is Bariol available to everyone?
A little googling would provide you with this. I'm not all that pleased with the italic style, though. Look at that "g".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-12 194615.png
Views:	97
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	207529  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Shouldn't there be a bug fix for the sideloading/corrupt database problem?
Maybe. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'll take a look at some likely places in libnickel later.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:01 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@geek1011, do you know if this is safe to install on a Libra 2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:39 AM   #23
mmc_meneses
Enthusiast
mmc_meneses doesn't littermmc_meneses doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Automatic update do not work on my libra 2... may i go sideload?
mmc_meneses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:02 AM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@geek1011, do you know if this is safe to install on a Libra 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_meneses View Post
The Libra2 is a mark9 device. The only released versions of 4.39 are for mark11 and mark12 devices. So best advice (just IMO), if you want to play safe, don't install until the correct marknn for your Kobo is actually released ... or until someone you trust says it's OK.

In case you were wondering I haven't installed it on any of my devices. I have done some preparatory work with the mark11 version to get ahead of the curve with necessary updates for kobopatch but stopped short of actually installing it. There appear to be some big font-related changes, but it isn't yet clear whether those changes will only affect the new models or all models.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:04 AM   #25
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_meneses View Post
It isn't officially out yet. I wouldn't even consider it until you see it on the PGASkin firmware page. Or if you know how to recover from a failed firmware update. And if you rely on kobopatches, those aren't out yet either.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #26
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Actually, yesterday I was able to download a type 9 Fw for the Libra 2.
I did *not* install it due to the warnings issued earlier. It might even be that Kobo does not consider it fit for usage and releases a new 4.40 for *all* devices as they have done in the past.
For the moment it is safe to regard Fw 4.39.22801 as only useable for the just released new devices.

Last edited by DrChiper; 04-13-2024 at 10:52 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:47 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Actually, yesterday I was able to download a type 9 Fw for the Libra 2.
I did *not* install it due to the warnings issued earlier. It might even be that Kobo does not consider it fit for usage and releases a new 4.40 for *all* devices as they have done in the past.
For the moment it is safe to regard Fw 4.39.22801 as only useable for the just released new devices.
I would not recommend using the version that downloads from the type 9 link unless you are willing to factory reset your Libra 2 if it doesn't work. The upgrade directory contains a firmware upgrade for an mt8113 device and the .zip file is binary identical to the firmware update packages for the Clara Colour/Clara BW.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM   #28
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
PGASkin
And my initials come back to bite me again... PGA skin, P GAS KIN, PG ASK IN...

I should have done p-gaskin, patrickg, or literally anything else. grr
Old 04-14-2024, 12:32 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Have you tried Atkinson Hyperlegible?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:42 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release