Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #61
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think I'll hold out for the time being. My Libra 2 is perfectly fine and I really don't have anything that needs to be read with color.

I'll maybe consider one 5+ years from now. Hopefully by then, the technology will have improved somewhat.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Based on the videos, it seems Kobo is bypassing Kaleido's terrible ghosting performance by forcing a full refresh for every page turn. This looks nice, but it's also very slow if you're used to flipping pages without a full refresh. I wonder if you'll be able to configure it when you're reading a novel that doesn't require full refreshes to look good.
Hmm. I always use full refresh for every page, as I want the contrast to be as good as possible (it decreases with partial refresh). But then I don't often flip pages without reading them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 08:28 PM   #63
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Australian website has discount on the device and covers. Free shipping probably just for Australia?

https://www.booktopia.com.au/search....=price-AUD-dsc
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:08 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Australian website has discount on the device and covers. Free shipping probably just for Australia?

https://www.booktopia.com.au/search....=price-AUD-dsc
Thanks for the laugh! A refurbished Forma is $428 Aus while the Sage is $420 Aus.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:04 PM   #65
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
And again the brightness is set very high to 62%. And with the comfort-mode on, the colors are very washed out.
It's probably the camera. Maybe it needs to be that high to look good in person

Need someone with good camera set up who understands what the assignment is Like, put the thing down and point the camera directly at it, please
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM   #66
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But then I don't often flip pages without reading them.
Was that a joke? I don't know anybody who does that, either.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:18 PM   #67
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Need someone with good camera set up who understands what the assignment is Like, put the thing down and point the camera directly at it, please
I'm sure Voja will be doing that on MyDeepGuide when he gets ahold of the devices in Norway.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:22 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Was that a joke? I don't know anybody who does that, either.
No. I meant, I don't really understand how a full page refresh can be slow, unless you're a speed reader or just browse by flipping pages without reading every one of them. IMO it's plenty fast with ordinary reading speed.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:55 PM   #69
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks for the laugh! A refurbished Forma is $428 Aus while the Sage is $420 Aus.
It was mainly meant for the colour pre-order but yeah the prices differ a bit. The refurbished models are not worth it in AUD.

The Forma price was for a new device but on the Kobo website it is $380 AUD and it goes the other way around too, last week the Libra 2 was on sale for $280 AUD when Kobo had it on sale for $300 AUD.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 PM   #70
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
The journalist wrote me back. At the time of her review, the firmware didn’t have a dark mode. She updated it and the dark mode was there. She modified her review.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:53 AM   #71
Spinet Duty
Spinet Duty began at the beginning.

This video explains some of the differences between colour and BW e-readers might be helpful to someone thinking about the new Kobo Libra Colour:

https://youtu.be/jaWnBMvdKH0?si=HxYQolP6Th1V5IpH
Spinet Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:12 AM   #72
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinet Duty View Post
This video explains some of the differences between colour and BW e-readers might be helpful to someone thinking about the new Kobo Libra Colour:

https://youtu.be/jaWnBMvdKH0?si=HxYQolP6Th1V5IpH
I prefer a comparison with the Kobo Libra Colour than with just any eInk color device. Some reviews say that Kobo worked with Kaleido and that it looked better than others. We don't know that for sure either.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:55 AM   #73
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
OK, it is a good news.
The journalist might meant dark mode for colors (so negativ mode could be better word) as Claude_C says.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:54 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One item to note is that since Kobo is a Canadian company, colour is spelt with a u.
And since Kobo sells in the US, color is without a u.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:56 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Based on the videos, it seems Kobo is bypassing Kaleido's terrible ghosting performance by forcing a full refresh for every page turn. This looks nice, but it's also very slow if you're used to flipping pages without a full refresh. I wonder if you'll be able to configure it when you're reading a novel that doesn't require full refreshes to look good.
It could be that the settings are set to update every page turn. I doubt this is something forced.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote