Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 02:21 PM   #46
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure you want a smaller screen given that you have a Libra 2?
I like small e-readers. My old Kindle Basic 2019 still gets a lot of use. Especially its the device I always bring with me.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:23 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible to rip out the color layer to get a Kobo Libra BW?
Jon, thanks for helping me to clean out my nostrils with a coffee rinse.

And no, considering that the colour filter array is buried in the stack, it is not possible unless you can figure out a way to peel off the protective layer (not shown in the attached image), the front light diffuser and the touch layer and then reassemble them afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kaleido3_layers.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	207486  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 02:37 PM   #48
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Here's a written review of the Libra Colour

https://www.techradar.com/tablets/er...-colour-review
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:53 PM   #49
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yep. Whatever are you thinking of? What if your one device breaks or you lose it? You MUST have a backup device!
Tee hee - I definitely have several B&W backup ereaders. But NO backup color one!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Tee hee - I definitely have several B&W backup ereaders. But NO backup color one!
Exactly.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 03:12 PM   #51
GrandNeko40
GrandNeko40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
It’s possible the original sleep cover will still work, it looks like the new cover has an added slot for the stylus which may be why it’s considered ‘different’, take a look at the images here - https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/04/10/k...colour-reveal/
if i'm understanding their product pages correctly:

the new SleepCover for the Libra Color is analogous to the Libra 2's origami Sleep Cover. thus, no slot for the stylus.

however, they've introduced a new cover, called the Notebook SleepCover, the product page for which does explicitly state that it has a little spot for the stylus.

it's actually sort of frustrating -- on the checkout page for the Libra Color, there's a little frame listing a couple compatible accessories. it lists the SleepCover, the stylus, and something else, so i added those to my cart because i'd like to have a reader and note taker in one. it was only on the "thanks for your order!" page that it showed me the Notebook SleepCover. bad site design! had to call Kobo support to cancel the order and place a new one.
GrandNeko40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:34 PM   #52
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
It’s seems that Dark mode is not available in color models. I’m always use it when i read the night (more than 90% of time).
It is a bad news if you can’t officialy or unofficialy activate it.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:46 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
It’s seems that Dark mode is not available in color models. I’m always use it when i read the night (more than 90% of time).
Rather odd since when I look at Kobo's site, I see the following:

Quote:
Dark mode is only available on Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Clara 2E, and Kobo Elipsa 2E, Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Clara Colour, and Kobo Clara BW.
One item to note is that since Kobo is a Canadian company, colour is spelt with a u.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-10-2024 at 03:49 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:00 PM   #54
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Red face

I think I'll have to buy a new e-reader that's a shame because my Sage works flawlessly

I have resisted the new Elipsa, because it was so big (and a bit expansive too) but how can I resist the new Libra Colour ?
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:10 PM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I think I'll have to buy a new e-reader that's a shame because my Sage works flawlessly

I have resisted the new Elipsa, because it was so big (and a bit expansive too) but how can I resist the new Libra Colour ?
Maybe purchase the Elipsa, and skip the next two kobo releases. You'll come out even in the end.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #56
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Is it crazy to predict that in the future we will see a Libra3 that solely improves the BW model (i.e. Carta 1300, better battery, better processing, etc.) and then a Libra colour2 that focuses on respective color improvements?
It's highly likely that the Libra BW will appear eventually. Whether Kobo releases new colour models remains to be seen. It will depend upon how well the current models sell. People may be disappointed at how much frontlight is needed to make Kaleido 3 look decent, in which case sales might be poor. Kaleido 4 doesn't exist yet, so we don't know how much better that will be, either.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:03 PM   #57
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
I wrote to the journalist who said that in her review. I guess she meant no dark mode for colours ?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:32 PM   #58
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, thanks for helping me to clean out my nostrils with a coffee rinse.

And no, considering that the colour filter array is buried in the stack, it is not possible unless you can figure out a way to peel off the protective layer (not shown in the attached image), the front light diffuser and the touch layer and then reassemble them afterwards.
Crazy how many layers we got too.

Have seen the video about libra and clara, i'm surprised by the colors but at the same time with that level of brightness they don't even look like eink to me. Definitely have to see in person
kript96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:56 PM   #59
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I wrote to the journalist who said that in her review. I guess she meant no dark mode for colours ?
They definitely have dark mode:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...bout-Dark-mode
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:10 PM   #60
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Based on the videos, it seems Kobo is bypassing Kaleido's terrible ghosting performance by forcing a full refresh for every page turn. This looks nice, but it's also very slow if you're used to flipping pages without a full refresh. I wonder if you'll be able to configure it when you're reading a novel that doesn't require full refreshes to look good.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote