Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Overdrive vs Kobo Previews

Whenever I return an Overdrive book, the KA1 automatically downloads a preview of the book I have just returned from the Kobo store. This is annoying, as obviously I don't want a preview of a book I have just finished reading.

I then have to select the book again, and check both boxes to delete the preview both from my Kobo and from my cloud library.

It's just a minor niggle really, but is there a way to stop this automatic preview download (without disabling wifi)?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately that's "correct behaviour" (as in it's doing what it's meant to do). I completely agree that it's an aggravating way to have it set up and hopefully it will get changed in the future (not holding my breath though). No way to avoid it that I'm aware of currently.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Unfortunately that's "correct behaviour" (as in it's doing what it's meant to do). I completely agree that it's an aggravating way to have it set up and hopefully it will get changed in the future (not holding my breath though). No way to avoid it that I'm aware of currently.
What is the logic for downloading the preview of a book I've already read and returned? Is Kobo using it as a reminder in case I loved the book so much I want to buy my own copy to read?
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:29 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
What is the logic for downloading the preview of a book I've already read and returned? Is Kobo using it as a reminder in case I loved the book so much I want to buy my own copy to read?
Yes. Plus, if you made annotations while reading the library book, they will be stored with the preview.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Thanks for the explanation - I suspected as much but thought it was worth asking as I'm just learning about the Kobo after years with Kindles. Plus Overdrive is brand new to me too.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 06:28 AM   #6
wjsn
wjsn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wow, it's been so long and they have not fixed it yet?
wjsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsn View Post
Wow, it's been so long and they have not fixed it yet?
The reasons for downloading the preview to preserve any notes/highlights/etc. are still valid.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote