Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 07:15 AM   #136
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, we know how the color screens look in color and with the light on. It's how it looks with the light off reading a normal novel that we want to know.
You mean you want to know. I'm not in the least interested how it looks with the light off. I don't read that way.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:03 AM   #137
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
The thing is, we know how the color screens look in color and with the light on. It's how it looks with the light off reading a normal novel that we want to know.
Check the topic I created about video reviews. I posted a link that shows good pictures.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=20

Last edited by deleted2; 04-18-2024 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added the link to a post
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:11 AM   #138
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
We've seen from other screenshots what it looks like with the light off. The answer is like cr*p.

Ever since the first front lit reader with a diffuser layer, eink readers have looked darker with the light off vs those without. I remember this with the first Paperwhite vs the Kindle keyboard. The kaleido screen just adds the mother of all layers and needs copious lighting

I suspect the Libra colour also has screen door effect where you can see a fine grid. Some percentage of users will notice this and some percentage of those will be bothered by it
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:23 AM   #139
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

I suspect the Libra colour also has screen door effect where you can see a fine grid. Some percentage of users will notice this and some percentage of those will be bothered by it
He talks about the screen door effect in one close up picture. Others say that without a magnifying glass, it's hard to notice. Some say that the screen looks like a newspaper. Hard to tell until you have the device in your hands.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:30 AM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Check the topic I created about video reviews. I posted a link that shows good pictures.

I saw the photos. I'm looking for some good video showing the differences especially with the Libra 2 vs the Libra color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:35 AM   #141
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
He talks about the screen door effect in one close up picture. Others say that without a magnifying glass, it's hard to notice. Some say that the screen looks like a newspaper. Hard to tell until you have the device in your hands.
Unless you have very sharp eyes and can focus at 1/2 normal reading distance, (maybe less needed), you won't see the pixel filters.

I don't think anyone is going to have a "screen door" effect at regular reading distance. See, I can be positive!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:09 PM   #142
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I don't think anyone is going to have a "screen door" effect at regular reading distance.
I bet JSWolf could see it from a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
See, I can be positive!
Someone took his vitamin C this morning!
Old 04-20-2024, 06:02 AM   #143
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:

Thank you for this pictures.
I found the Colour model very dark in direct sun.
Usually, in direct sun I don't need to use backlight and in this example, the 100% backlight is useless but the Colour model have whites seem to be grey.
I'm a bit disappointed with this review.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:45 AM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
Thank you for this pictures.
I found the Colour model very dark in direct sun.
Usually, in direct sun I don't need to use backlight and in this example, the 100% backlight is useless but the Colour model have whites seem to be grey.
I'm a bit disappointed with this review.
Yes, B&W on a Libra Color do not look good with no light in the sun. With my Libra 2, I don't need the light in the sun.

I'm hoping Kobo brings out a Libra 3 with the same hardware as the Libra Color except no color.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #145
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
This is correct for black and white content. Outdoors the screen will still look very dark. But colour content looks fine, in my opinion. And let's not forget that people who buy a colour e-reader do so primarily to be able to view colour content, not black and white. If you are going to read black and white content, outdoors or indoors without lighting, a monochrome e-reader is much better. But then forget about reading anything in colour. However, if you want to use colour and also be able to read black and white content, it is best to use a colour e-reader in the best possible way, which, in my opinion, is indoors and with the lighting always on. Outdoors or indoors with the lighting off, you can read, but with a very dark screen.

But as I say, to focus the debate on using a colour e-reader to read black and white content in the worst possible conditions is, I think, an extreme option that ultimately offers a very limited version of its use (which may be valid for some users, certainly, but not at all for all).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:23 PM   #146
dem1980fr
Enthusiast

So outside, reading BW content on Colour model is as good as reading color content on BW model ?
Old 04-20-2024, 12:43 PM   #147
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Someone else on Reddit has posted photos showing side by side Colour Libra and Libra 2 in various lighting conditions for those interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...looking_great/

Direct link to their photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0ou4Q9Ru5EZECZ
slantybard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:03 PM   #148
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
So outside, reading BW content on Colour model is as good as reading color content on BW model ?
Let's say it is possible to view black and white content on a colour e-reader, but it is not possible to view colour content on a monochrome e-reader. Whether the quality is acceptable has to be assessed individually by each user. Personally I am delighted with the display of the Onyx Boox Tab Mini C for reading both colour and black and white content. And I would bet that the screens of the Kobo devices will also be very good for both content (if used in the right conditions).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240417_171701_11zon.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	207732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240420_184334_11zon.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	207733  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:24 PM   #149
dem1980fr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Let's say it is possible to view black and white content on a colour e-reader, but it is not possible to view colour content on a monochrome e-reader. Whether the quality is acceptable has to be assessed individually by each user. Personally I am delighted with the display of the Onyx Boox Tab Mini C for reading both colour and black and white content. And I would bet that the screens of the Kobo devices will also be very good for both content (if used in the right conditions).
Yes, I mean the ”as good" means "the experience".
When I use my Libra H2O outside, I like that the paper seems to be white like real paper.
So if the paper seems to be grey on Libra Colour model, it is a downgrade of the experience for me.
I read often mangas, and there are some pages in color, so they are BW on my Libra, but i was able to read them. Colour is a great new function but I would like to test this device outside before buying... Inside, with backlight, I think the experience will be fine.
I don’t know if I will buy this Colour or waiting for a Libra Colour 2 :/
Old 04-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Someone else on Reddit has posted photos showing side by side Colour Libra and Libra 2 in various lighting conditions for those interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...looking_great/

Direct link to their photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0ou4Q9Ru5EZECZ