Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Sleeping vs Powered Off - how to tell?

Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver. Now, as the attached screenshots show, it's impossible to tell the difference between sleep and powered off. With book covers, if I accidentally held the button too long, I could see "Powered Off" on the screen, or "Sleeping" if not. Can I have that with screen savers too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powered off.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	183388   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeping.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	183389  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 AM   #2
thangcuoi
thangcuoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you are using a smart cover, it would wake up the eReader when opening the cover if it's in sleep mode.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
thangcuoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangcuoi View Post
If you are using a smart cover, it would wake up the eReader when opening the cover if it's in sleep mode.
Thanks. I have a smart cover, but I have yet to use it. It's 123 grams, a very significant addition to the Libra's 192. On an average week i spend fewer than 5 hours out of my house, so I'm keeping the cover for when I go out and take my Libra with me. For reading at home, the lightness of the Libra outweighs(ha!) the added protection of the cover.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver. Now, as the attached screenshots show, it's impossible to tell the difference between sleep and powered off. With book covers, if I accidentally held the button too long, I could see "Powered Off" on the screen, or "Sleeping" if not. Can I have that with screen savers too?
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy. Also, you'll have tog o back to book covers.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-16-2020 at 06:05 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy.
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, have you tried showing the info panel when using screensaver images not books covers as the OP said:

Quote:
Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver.
Inquiring minds are eager to know.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy. Also, you'll have tog o back to book covers.
Thank you for completely ignoring what I had written and sharing irrelevant advice. The settings you describe explicitly state that they apply for, and I quote "full screen covers". Those boxes are ticked and the info box did show when I had fullscreen covers enabled. Since the whole point of my query was about a changed situation, had you bothered to pay attention to the content of my original post you might have perceived that you were not offering anything of value to the discussion. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the Kobo patches for libnickel.so.1.0.0.0 says "Allow showing info panel on random screensaver". This may do what you want.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of the Kobo patches for libnickel.so.1.0.0.0 says "Allow showing info panel on random screensaver". This may do what you want.
Thanks, I'll give it a try
Old 11-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks again - PERFECT result! As a bonus, the info panel is much less intrusive on my chosen screensaver than it was on the book covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	success.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	183467  
Old 04-15-2024, 06:10 AM   #10
wjsn
wjsn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks again - PERFECT result! As a bonus, the info panel is much less intrusive on my chosen screensaver than it was on the book covers.
Hi may I ask for the instructions about this patch?
wjsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:31 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsn View Post
Hi may I ask for the instructions about this patch?
Check the Instructions for patching firmware 4.38.21908 thread for more information on using kobopatch.