Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
New edition Kobo coming

Sorry if this is old news but I did a quick look at threads and haven't seen anyone mention this but I may have missed it.
I was in Chapters recently and asked why the WiFi Kobo is on sale (curently $129). After a lengthy conversation about the Kobo in general, I was told a new generation Kobo will be coming out, possibly this summer. No details as to what it might have, feature-wise, except a touch screen.
Has anyone heard anything more on this?
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
I hope so, the only thing that made me choose the Kindle was the hardware. If they can at least match some of my favourite features, I may just consider switching over to the Kobo platform.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
if it's true then my parents get my kobo wifi and i get the upgrade

but i do not like touch screen at all for an ereader, if any dust or anything hits my screen i'm already wiping it off. that still needs to be controlled by buttons. if they make it touch screen the feel will be different.

i think they need to either do a color version or a beefed up version with more bells and whistles.

as it stands now though it does what i need it to do which is display books that i can read so who knows if it will be worth a new purchase so soon.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Yes, I agree about the touch screen. Hopefully it will still have the D button as well.
I'll just have to wait and see it in person in the store before deciding whether I need one or not.
I do love my Kobo and I hope they don't stray too far from what I think is a great design in an effort to compete with other readers.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Was just at my local Indigo book store and asked two employees what they new about a new Kobo.

1.) price drop because new color version is coming
2.) price drop in response to blackberry playbook which was on display next to the Kobo's and no new Kobo comeing.

So there you have it we definitely know that their is either a new Kobo coming soon or perhaps not.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
if a color version does come out i wonder if it'll be backlit or if there will be an option to turn the backlight on and off.
i'm not familiar with the nook so i'm not sure the possibilities or features but one of the reasons i love the kobo and e-ink readers is the non back light feature.

the good thing is i can test in store and if it's decent enough i'll pick one up. the popular photography magazines will look great in color
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hopefully it will not use a touch layer. If it doesn't use a touch layer, will it use Wacom or IR?

But before coming out with a new model, I think they should fix the bugs first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I'm surprised they might be releasing yet another model, though this one, if it has a colour screen, will probably coexist with the existing Kobo WiFi. If it has the existing 1.9 firmware, which now seems reasonably full-featured, it might be an attractive option.

So... I'm guessing if it does have a colour screen, LCD is most likely. If that's the case, capacitive touch. If it doesn't have a colour screen.... well, it'll be fun speculating. Colour e-ink still seems to be in its infancy.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm excited about this! I'm not looking for a new e-reader for myself currently, but there are two people that I would like to gift an e-book reader to.

I applied for a job at Kobo, recently.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
I would like a e-ink reading device that works properly. Both models of the Kobo do not.
On my old one you can't even go to a bloody page that you want - how stupid is that!
You can't mark a page, you can't put notes against a page ...... wtf are these clowns doing in Kobo HQ???
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Providing a good basic, not feature heavy, eReader!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by masona8 View Post
I would like a e-ink reading device that works properly. Both models of the Kobo do not.
On my old one you can't even go to a bloody page that you want - how stupid is that!
You can't mark a page, you can't put notes against a page ...... wtf are these clowns doing in Kobo HQ???
YEAH! This Kobo sucks! Why the heck doesn't it make my coffee for me yet? I mean, REALLY?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i think they need to either do a color version or a beefed up version with more bells and whistles.

Colour e-ink screens are still years away.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Colour screens will be LCD, right? More eyestrain...

I wish they'd concentrate on getting some more basic features into the hardware, rather than concentrating on silly things like colour screens. People who read mostly novels don't really need colour screens! I'd much rather have better bookmarking features, a go-to page feature, an easy-to-use dictionary, etc.

Plus, if the touch-screen ends up being nearly as glare-ridden as the Sony ones, I'm not going anywhere near it.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I hope it isn't color, Triton or LCD.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote