Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2022, 10:27 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But he is a nasty person.

I know a lot of nasty people. Fortunately, they don't write!

I also know quite a number of people who are courteous and gentle. And they are wonderful writers!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-31-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:45 AM   #17
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Go to Kobo or eBooks.com and travel to the UK and buy them. Problem solved.
Can I buy the books without a kobo? Is it possible to read them on my kindle?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Can I buy the books without a kobo?
Yes. A bit easier from ebooks.com but both work without a kobo device.

Quote:
Is it possible to read them on my kindle?
Yes, if you have and can use DRM removal tools and conversion tools.

There are many threads pointing to information on both.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:08 AM   #19
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Go to Kobo or eBooks.com and travel to the UK and buy them. Problem solved.
Going to the UK via VPN isn't a problem, but what about checking out with a US credit card? Does that cause any problems with the order?

Thanks,
Wally
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:45 AM   #20
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Going to the UK via VPN isn't a problem, but what about checking out with a US credit card? Does that cause any problems with the order?

Thanks,
Wally
You don't need to use a VPN to use other Kobo stores.

You do need to set your account address to the correct country.

Your credit card billing details also need to be in the correct country, which is usually much harder to achieve... However! Buy yourself some Kobo credit in advance and then temporarily delete your credit card details.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
You do need to set your account address to the correct country.
I haven't. I have my Texas address in there, with no ZIP code, but not sure if that matters.

Country shows as UK, but I believe that changes automagically when youy change the store.

Quote:
Your credit card billing details also need to be in the correct country, which is usually much harder to achieve...
I don't do that either. Just don't enter any payment information on the site. When you check out you will then be offered PayPal. PayPal only has my US information. No problems.

I attached an image of my account settings. Street address and email address are blurred out. I only want to share so much guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Account Settings.png
Views:	117
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	198779  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-01-2023 at 01:22 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
People on here are making it sound more complicated than it is. Trust me. I'm a lazy American. I don't want any book bad enough to set up VPN or get a foreign credit card.

If you have PayPal, follow my instructions above. Buy a cheap ebook from Kobo UK (or whereever) and see what happens. I have purchased 10 Kobo books over the years that are unavailable in the US. It is easy peasy.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:00 PM   #23
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't do that either. Just don't enter any payment information on the site. When you check out you will then be offered PayPal. PayPal only has my US information. No problems.
My final step was to delete my payment details, so it sounds like that's the key thing. I didn't know you could pay via Paypal - that makes things a bit simpler!
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I didn't know you could pay via Paypal - that makes things a bit simpler!
You can't save it as preferred for some reason. But if you have no preferred, it becomes available at checkout.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:33 PM   #25
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't see why they make it difficult. An ebook bought from a UK publisher has the money go to that UK publisher not a US publisher. Just like taking a trip and buying the book at a UK bookstore. All they need is to have listings for each publisher and you could pick the version you wanted from any ebook store.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:26 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Thanks,
Wally
So many of my friends and family complain that they have problems trying to use their credit cards in foreign countries online. In my experience, most USA Visa/MC will not allow you to purchase online from other countries. I do know that my Am Ex has worked everywhere in the world I have tried online.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:12 AM   #27
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you have PayPal, follow my instructions above. Buy a cheap ebook from Kobo UK (or whereever) and see what happens.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I routimely use a VPN in a more-or-less futile attempt to avoid some of the persistent tracking. I was curious about a book not avaiable in the US so checked ebooks.com; I saw a note about the book was "not available in your country". Out of curiosity I disconneceted my US VPN session and reconnected through a UK server. The book became available, but I did not try to buy it. I didn't want the book anyway, I was just curous about the process.

An Ebooks.com FAQ says they accept Paypal and checkout can be done a a "Guest" without creating an account. I guess that should work.

Thanks for the comments, folks.
Wally
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:08 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Thanks,
Wally
I've not needed a VPN. I've just switched my location to the UK. I've paid on Kobo with a US credit card. With eBooks.com, I've switch my location and used PayPal. Again no VPN needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:54 PM   #29
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Louise Cooper - Time Master trilogy and the other three related trilogies, the Indigo series and various stand alone books. I've actually gone to her website, and reached out to the agent that is listed there. I didn't get a reply; I have no idea if they still represent her estate after her passing.

David Eddings - yep, I know I could 'travel' the UK and get them. Maybe if I didn't have paper copies I'd get serious about doing so.

Robert Aspirin - Myth Adventures series; the second one was released in November, so I've hopes that I'll be able to get all of these soon.

Hal Clement - his most popular stuff is available but that's it

H. Beam Piper - Fuzzies and Other People
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Robert Aspirin - Myth Adventures series; the second one was released in November, so I've hopes that I'll be able to get all of these soon.
Weren't the Myth books available for a while? Or am I misremembering?