Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
Mr.... Death
Mr.... Death began at the beginning.

Device: none
Narrator Michael Kramer

So, I'm dying to know if anyone has the same problem with listening to Michael Kramer's voice. He's narrated, pretty much, ALL of Brandon Sanderson's books, and the whole, freaking Wheel of time series.

If you haven't heard any of Kramer's works, try listening to this (There's a listening sample just beneath the picture):

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fan...4745272&sr=1-1

Now, I'm norwegian, so my english obviously isn't the best. But both my siblings agree, we just can't listen to his intonation rising and falling in the same way every time.

BUT! There are apparently a lot of listeners who DO like his voice, consindering that the audiobooks has some really good reviews!

Would love to hear what you guys think.
In advance, thank you!

Ps.
You're probably thinking "Just read the god damned books instead!"
However, I've got narcolepsy which makes it difficult to sit still and read, since I always fall asleep after short while :P
Mr.... Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
He doesn't bother me. I have the first two Wheel of Time books. The reason I didn't buy the rest has more to do with all the slow parts in the books after the first two that I tend to scan over when I read but can't scan over listening rather than the readers. I'm not sure I would put him up with some of the readers who I would buy a book for the reader rather than the author, but I've listened to the first Wheel of Time book a number of times.

Not to say that you don't have a right to your opinion. As they say, different strokes for different folks. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked exactly the same things. If he doesn't work for you, then he doesn't work for you.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I have the same problem with Tom Weiner whom a lot of people seem to like, too. I am German, so English isn't my first language either.

I have listened to the sample of the Brandon Sanderson book, I don't think I could listen to 20 hours or more of that voice, but it is a question of personal taste since so many listeners rate Kramer's performance 5 stars.
Marrella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He wouldn't be my first choice but he's OK. Aren't the female POV chapters read by a woman?

My least favorite so far is the narration for Kim Stanley Robinson's Science in the Capital series.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Fo...099454&sr=1-16

The inflection never changes.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
He wouldn't be my first choice but he's OK. Aren't the female POV chapters read by a woman?

My least favorite so far is the narration for Kim Stanley Robinson's Science in the Capital series.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Fo...099454&sr=1-16

The inflection never changes.
Is that sample from the actual book? No, right--that's read-along, not actual narration?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Is that sample from the actual book? No, right--that's read-along, not actual narration?

Hitch
That's the actual narration. I gave up after 2 hours.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
That's the actual narration. I gave up after 2 hours.
That's not real narration. I mean, I'm not arguing with you, but that sounds mechanical to me, like the usual Kindle read-along. We (subcontract) audio narration out, and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like that. ANYTHING. Man, that's crazy, and you should return that bloody book for a refund and tell them WHY.

Thanks for replying.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
One of the fascinating things to me about audio books is that a narrator can make or break the experience of a book. And like actors in a movie or TV show, voice actors have niches or characters that fit perfectly...or don't. Michael Kramer narrates the Butcher Boy series (by Thomas Perry) and is the perfect voice for this character. For me, he is compelling and absolutely spot-on for that character and series. I've heard him in other things, liked him well enough to continue the book, but his style is pretty much the same no matter the material. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

There are a couple of narrators who are an auto do-not-buy for me, Kramer is definitely not in that category.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think a really good narrator can improve a book--e.g., I don't think I would have enjoyed Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness books nearly as much without Katherine Kellgren's narration--but I don't know agree that poor narration can sink a book. If the book's interesting, after a while I'll get used to the narration, whatever the flaws.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think a really good narrator can improve a book--e.g., I don't think I would have enjoyed Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness books nearly as much without Katherine Kellgren's narration--but I don't know agree that poor narration can sink a book. If the book's interesting, after a while I'll get used to the narration, whatever the flaws.
I have one name for you: Ulli Birvé.

She reads all of the Georgette Heyer mysteries (not the Regencies, thank goodness.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I have one name for you: Ulli Birvé.

She reads all of the Georgette Heyer mysteries (not the Regencies, thank goodness.)
I listened to a sample. Sounds OK to me.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I tried to listen to The Unfinished Clue. It was intolerable, even at 1.50x speed. (My review of the book is on the Audible site.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Earlier this year, I listened to Eric Brooks narrating Anne Perry: The Murder of the Century, even though the narration has horrible reviews, and the sample certainly seems to live up to the reviews. I was interested in the book anyway, and I got used to the voice and the narrator's style. I wouldn't go looking for another Brooks narration, and if I had a choice between him and someone else I'd go with someone else, but the content held my interest nevertheless.