Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 03:30 PM   #91
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to embed if-thens into the switch_ifs.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:52 PM   #92
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Hi!

I have this custom column '#last_viewed' (Date type), which gets updated by JS+ plugin upon opening any titles in the library.

Now I'm thinking it might be interesting to have something like a "Long text, like comments" column that could store every #last_viewed timestamp, perhaps separated by line breaks or spaces.

Then I see two issues: 1 - Long text columns can't do template language, and 2 - If this actually could be feasible using a "Column built from other columns", which can receive template language input, I have no idea how to reference custom columns as *I* can't do template language.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-01-16, 22_00_58.png
Views:	47
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	205845  
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 09:14 PM   #93
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a modified copy of my Mark as Read action chain.

1. Sets #lastread (datetime) to current datetime.
2. Sets #percentread (integer) to 100.
3. Increments #timesread (integer) by one.
4. Prompts to set rating (rating).
5. Copies the date from #lastread to #readdates (taglike) as 'MMM d yyyy' - (Jan 16 2024). Changing the format should be simple if you prefer something else.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MarkAsRead.zip (2.0 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-25-2024 at 01:44 AM. Reason: tyop
Old 01-16-2024, 10:59 PM   #94
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Here's a modified copy of my Mark as Read action chain.

1. Sets #lastread (datetime) to current datetime.
2. Sets #percentread (integer) to 100.
3. Increments #timesread (integer) by one.
4. Prompts to set rating (rating).
5. Copies the date from #lastread to #readdate (taglike) as 'MMM d yyyy' - (Jan 16 2024). Changing the format should be simple if you prefer something else.
Ah that's awesome, thanks ObC!

Just in case someone wants to implement your chain, I suggest you edit your instructions like this:

5. Copies the date from #lastread to #readdates (comma separated text, like tags)...

I had created #readdate instead of #readdates and got a validation message. Also, I needed to exclude that last step "Refresh book view", which for some reason would give me an error, but now the chain works fine! For the timestamp I've added 'hh:mm', looks nice to me, thanks.

Actually I do most often open the books by double-clicking them on cover grid view, so I'll wait to see if there's some other possibility besides running the chain. (yet I can also train myself to always hit a shortcut key)

edit: this time I've added an action to View book as the first step on the chain, and removed the rating prompt. Now I think if there was an option to assign the double-click action on library view to run this chain, I would definitely go with that.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 01-17-2024 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:20 AM   #95
shinykari
shinykari doesn't littershinykari doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libre2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Ah that's awesome, thanks ObC!

Just in case someone wants to implement your chain, I suggest you edit your instructions like this:

5. Copies the date from #lastread to #readdates (comma separated text, like tags)...

I had created #readdate instead of #readdates and got a validation message. Also, I needed to exclude that last step "Refresh book view", which for some reason would give me an error, but now the chain works fine! For the timestamp I've added 'hh:mm', looks nice to me, thanks.

Actually I do most often open the books by double-clicking them on cover grid view, so I'll wait to see if there's some other possibility besides running the chain. (yet I can also train myself to always hit a shortcut key)

edit: this time I've added an action to View book as the first step on the chain, and removed the rating prompt. Now I think if there was an option to assign the double-click action on library view to run this chain, I would definitely go with that.
I have a similar set up to OBC, including the "prompt to rate," but I finally got annoyed with having to select a rating. Instead, I built a single hidden Action Chain called Read/Rate that includes all the steps except the star rating, then created five different Action Chains that A) call that first chain, then B) change the rating to the specified star rating. These all go in a sub menu in Action Chains (called, uncreatively, Read/Rate), so I can rate a book 1-5 stars with a single mouse click.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 12.17.33 AM.png
Views:	81
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	205878  
shinykari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 01:51 AM   #96
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Now I think if there was an option to assign the double-click action on library view to run this chain, I would definitely go with that.
Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
You can use the Book List Double Clicked event to change the default action to any calibre action you want, by using the Event Manager to connect the event to a whatever chain you want. For more on this, see this post.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:44 AM   #97
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Here you go.
wow, that works!! This was actually the first time I opened the Event Manager dialog, didn't know what I was missing!

Old 01-21-2024, 09:07 PM   #98
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinykari View Post
I have a similar set up to OBC, including the "prompt to rate," but I finally got annoyed with having to select a rating. Instead, I built a single hidden Action Chain called Read/Rate that includes all the steps except the star rating, then created five different Action Chains that A) call that first chain, then B) change the rating to the specified star rating. These all go in a sub menu in Action Chains (called, uncreatively, Read/Rate), so I can rate a book 1-5 stars with a single mouse click.
You should be able to de-duplicate this with a chain variation - see attached.

I think this requires the action_chains_experimental = True to be enabled in Calibre Preferences > Tweaks > Plugin Tweaks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MarkAsReadAndRate.zip (2.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 01-28-2024, 10:45 AM   #99
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I'm afraid I have some baked in habits I can't seem to break. I update the comments in all my books manually. Up until about a year ago, I could ctrl c & ctrl v, and get plain text most of the time, but that changed and I get weird html I don't like. I can right click and 'paste and match style' which works like I want it too.

Is there a tweak to make paste and match style my default?
Thanks!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #100
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I'm afraid I have some baked in habits I can't seem to break. I update the comments in all my books manually. Up until about a year ago, I could ctrl c & ctrl v, and get plain text most of the time, but that changed and I get weird html I don't like. I can right click and 'paste and match style' which works like I want it too.

Is there a tweak to make paste and match style my default?
Thanks!
I don't know of any tweak or option in calibre. However, there are utilities that live on the task bar (assuming windows) that operate on the clipboard, converting html to plain text with a single click. Then paste it into calibre.

I use PureText that works well for me.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:41 PM   #101
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I don't know of any tweak or option in calibre. However, there are utilities that live on the task bar (assuming windows) that operate on the clipboard, converting html to plain text with a single click. Then paste it into calibre.

I use PureText that works well for me.
That's an interesting utility. I'll try it out.
Thanks!!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:40 PM   #102
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

I use Clipboard Fusion.

Some applications, e.g. word processors, blog post editors, can strip the markup when you do the paste. without changing the clipboard contents.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:08 PM   #103
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Calibre also has two plugins (Clean Comments & Comments Cleaner) that strip extraneous HTML tags out. I use the latter in several metadata-cleanup Action Chains.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:49 AM   #104
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Calibre also has two plugins (Clean Comments & Comments Cleaner) that strip extraneous HTML tags out. I use the latter in several metadata-cleanup Action Chains.
Anyone adding Comments Cleaner should check the defaults!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:34 AM   #105
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinykari View Post
I like your icons for the Read/Rate chain, although I don't have a rating stage on my chain.