Notices

Old 02-21-2024, 06:14 PM   #1
bigwigs
Enthusiast
bigwigs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Android Upgrade Lifecycle and root options

Hi,
Can someone please shed some light on Android upgrade lifecycle for Boox products?
They seem to release new product versions/iterations very often.
Do they support at least 1 major version upgrade of Android?
How easy is it to root the products?

Thanks!
bigwigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:15 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hi

Onyx Boox has a release rate that drives us all batty. New models pop up with astounding rapidity and apparently minor changes.

They have released major Android updates for some of the older products recently. I think they make an effort to have uniform software across the product line. There are frequent updates. Many have been full updates, although there have been incremental updates too.

They have been until now (knock on wood) very easily rootable. But that depends on either finding a Firehose loader for the SoC or waiting until a software update is released. If they make a change in any of this I will be the first to jump ship.

The ereader user is an astoundly persnickety creature with everybody having very particular tastes. For instance, I want my Bluetooth clicker to flip pages when I depress the button, not when I release it. To do this I have to modify the stock software. Without this ability I wouldn't touch Onyx.

That being said, as a fan of 6" 300 DPI readers, I love my Poke5.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2024, 07:54 PM   #3
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Thanks, Renate!
This sounds good. Any recommendations to read pdfs , notes n highlighting?
Old 02-21-2024, 08:52 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good question. I don't read PDFs that much and when I do it's on a desktop. Notes and highlights are not something I do either. That being said, there are many here who do a lot of all of this and are particular about organizing and backing up notes/highlights. In any case, with PDFs bigger is always better.

As high tech as I am I still rely on my dollar store "college ruled" one subject notebook.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
They have released major Android updates for some of the older products recently. I think they make an effort to have uniform software across the product line. There are frequent updates.
When you say Android updates, you mean the Boox software, don't you? I was under the impression that Onyx never updates the Android version of any device, because there are licensing requirements tied to the hardware: if a device ships with Android version x, it will stay on that version forever, although you'll still get frequent updates to the Boox software. Boox devices usually ship 1-3 Android versions out of date, but it's really only a problem if you're trying to run the latest apps, which isn't too likely if you're in the market for one of these devices.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2024, 06:41 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard

I thought that some older models went from Android 6 to 9 recently?
Old 02-22-2024, 06:55 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I thought that some older models went from Android 6 to 9 recently?
The reason was only the introduction of split screen from Android 7, which is important for large screens - the update was not available on the 6 inch devices.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:49 AM   #8
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
When you say Android updates, you mean the Boox software, don't you? I was under the impression that Onyx never updates the Android version of any device, because there are licensing requirements tied to the hardware: if a device ships with Android version x, it will stay on that version forever, although you'll still get frequent updates to the Boox software. Boox devices usually ship 1-3 Android versions out of date, but it's really only a problem if you're trying to run the latest apps, which isn't too likely if you're in the market for one of these devices.
Thanks for clarification.
As long as Android version is post project treble(Android) there is opportunity to create gsi rom depending on processor used and if device is supporting the same.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:10 AM   #9
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Project treble support can be checked using following:
adb shell
getprop ro.treble.enabled

If u return value is true then device supports it.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:37 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwigs View Post
Code:
getprop ro.treble.enabled
Both Poke3 and Poke5 say "true".
Old 02-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #11
bigwigs
Enthusiast