Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 06:22 AM   #1
Sfinx
Sfinx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC Pro
[q] About fw upgrading after rooting

Hi,

Intend to root onyx tuc pro running v3.5 but can't find info about future fw upgrades exact procedure after rooting. How it can be done safely ? Should I disable stock upgrade and upgrade each time manually after rooting ?

TIA
Sfinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
dcarvil
Enthusiast
dcarvil began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
Hi,

Intend to root onyx tuc pro running v3.5 but can't find info about future fw upgrades exact procedure after rooting. How it can be done safely ? Should I disable stock upgrade and upgrade each time manually after rooting ?

TIA
If it is an incremental upgrade, you will have to restore the stock boot.img before upgrading, then reroot afterwards. I have not yet had a full upgrade, but I suspect it would not be necessary to restore the stock boot.img first (but it wouldn't hurt). You'd still have to reroot afterwards.

After you have unrooted, it does not make much difference if you upgrade manually or through Settings, Firmware upgrade.
dcarvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Right now the TabUltraC is running 3.5
There seems to be a 3.5.1 for some models.

You can always grab 3.5 boot out of an update and Magisk it now,
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:57 AM   #4
Sfinx
Sfinx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarvil View Post
If it is an incremental upgrade, you will have to restore the stock boot.img before upgrading, then reroot afterwards. I have not yet had a full upgrade, but I suspect it would not be necessary to restore the stock boot.img first (but it wouldn't hurt). You'd still have to reroot afterwards.

After you have unrooted, it does not make much difference if you upgrade manually or through Settings, Firmware upgrade.
Thanks ! I guessed too that no restoring to stock is needed before upgrade but re-root after is must have.
Sfinx is offline   Reply With Quote