Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-03-2024, 08:06 PM   #1
sdegtyarev
sdegtyarev began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Boox n96ml doesn't start

Hello,
I have an old onyx boox n96ml and yesterday it stopped starting.
The blue indicator is constantly on.
When charging, the indicator is pink.
When I press the power button for 10 seconds the screen blinks and the start image appears.

I tried charging from a different charger but that didn't help. The battery is not swollen, the fully charge lasts almost three days.
I'm afraid that the problem is in the hardware.

What else can I try to bring the book to life?
sdegtyarev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
That's an old Rockchip model, isn't it?
If you connect it to a desktop is it detected as being alive?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:34 PM   #3
sdegtyarev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
That's an old Rockchip model, isn't it?
oh, I don't know what's there

Quote:
If you connect it to a desktop is it detected as being alive?
Connected to a notebook (OS ubuntu 22.04) - changed only indicator. From blue to pink. I don't see any new device of folders.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:25 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdegtyarev View Post
Connected to a notebook (OS ubuntu 22.04) - changed only indicator. From blue to pink. I don't see any new device of folders.
I wasn't expecting files. I just wanted to see if there were any loaders visible.
With it plugged in can you see anything when you type lsusb -v ?
Old 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM   #5
sdegtyarev

Quote:
I wasn't expecting files. I just wanted to see if there were any loaders visible.
With it plugged in can you see anything when you type lsusb -v ?

lsusb -v &> lsusb.output && cat lsusb.output | wc -l
There is a same output before and after plug a book.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Have you tried power reset and various buttons?
If you can't reach normal system or recovery and nothing shows on USB...
"EDL cables" could be tried. Although this is probably not actually EDL it's a popular technique for test modes/loader.
If you look below at "Similar threads" there might be some nuggets for you.
Me, I'd probably take it apart and look for test points and which processor.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 AM   #7
sdegtyarev

Renate, thanks for reply
I'll continue to figure it out, try to remove and charge the battery and see what kind of chip it is
Old 02-16-2024, 08:51 AM   #8
sdegtyarev

Last updates

I have no idea why but I was able to start my boox. I disassembled it, disconnected the battery several day ago and only yesterday came back and assemble it back. I connected the same usb-cable, waited for a several minutes and just pushed power button and it started.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:34 PM   #9
Arconte
Enthusiast
Arconte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC
Good for you to have the N96ML back to life!

I had this eReader 6 years ago, if I am correct. It was aesthetically well design and it was a good eReader for it's time. I need fast and modern eReaders, so didn't keep it much time, but I like how some people make old tech lasts.

If it happens again, it would be good to test if fastboot recognizes it when it doesn't wake up. To check both ADB and fastboot it is the process, and maybe try to find if there is a "Downloader mode" button combination.

I don't know if a battery can also stop working without being non-swollen. That would be interesting to know, but as it seems it is alive again it doesn't seems the case.

Let's see if it lasts! Hope so!
Arconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:30 AM   #10
sdegtyarev

Last update

I replaced a battery - seems like everything is ok. The boox started without any troubles.

Tags
n96ml, not booting