Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
rawalpundi
rawalpundi began at the beginning.

Device: none
cbz viewer for Windows

hello,
with Ubuntu, when I open a cbz file, the viewer is different than the epub viewer (zoom instead of font size selection),
but with Windows 10, it is always the epub viewer that does not work well for cbz, can I change this behavior ?
rawalpundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to install a cbz viewer you like and make that the default program for opening cbz files in windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences => Behavior

Make sure "cbz" is unchecked from the list of formats to use the builtin viewer.
Then make sure your operating system defaults to whichever cbz viewer you prefer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
rawalpundi

ok thank you, I didn't understand that the cbz viewer is external to Calibre in Ubuntu.
which cbz (and also pdf) viewer would you advise for Windows 10 that integrates well with Calibre ? I would like the current page to be saved as for the epub files.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawalpundi View Post
ok thank you, I didn't understand that the cbz viewer is external to Calibre in Ubuntu.
which cbz (and also pdf) viewer would you advise for Windows 10 that integrates well with Calibre ? I would like the current page to be saved as for the epub files.
IMHO You are confusing things here with multiple questions.

ANY OS level viewer (that the OS file browser can open) integrates with Calibre.
Preferences: Behavior: Remove the tick for any format you want your OS (default) to open when you tap 'V' (for View)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sorry, I don't use cbz files. But I have heard the name ComicRack mentioned here on MobileRead. It seems to have good reviews.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
rawalpundi

Quote:
ANY OS level viewer (that the OS file browser can open) integrates with Calibre
yes, I agree for the view function.
but to save the last read page ?
for instance, at the moment my current pdf viewer in Windows is Edge.
when I move to page number 10 of the pdf file in Edge, close it, then re open it with Calibre, I start again at page 1.

Last edited by rawalpundi; 05-13-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawalpundi View Post
yes, I agree for the view function.
but to save the last read page ?
for instance, at the moment my current pdf viewer in Windows is Edge.
when I move to page number 10 of the pdf file in Edge, close it, then re open it with Calibre, I start again at page 1.
Last Page
AKA reading progress is a mess even without Calibre in the picture. Calibre's Viewer has a option to keep track of where the Calibre VIEWER was. There isw no such beast between apps
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
To make things clearer for the OP:

Calibre does not interface or interact with ANY viewer other than it's own. When you disable this interaction in prefs, calibre will pass the "open this file" request to the OS after which it is up to the OS to deal with. Calibre it totally out of the picture at that point and knows nothing about what happens to the file. When you configure your OS to use some specific app to handle such "open this file" requests it will then pass the responsibility on to that app.

Doing things like remembering the last page read, etc., are the responsibility of the viewer, not calibre's library management. If your CBZ or PDF viewer opens the file at page one on a second viewing then it is at fault for not remembering the previous session. If this bothers you then use a different viewer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
rawalpundi

ok thanks, all is clear now.
I have finally choosen Evince which the same software that is launched by Calibre in Ubuntu for pdf/cbz files. There is a Windows version, probably not the best but that is enough for me since there is the reading progress capability.