Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
kunkel321
Enthusiast
kunkel321 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire 10
What's the best way to have "categories?"

Hi All. Newb here. Hopefully this is the correct subforum.

Pretty open ended question...
I have nearly a thousand digital books in various formats. I want to organize then by topic. I googled and found how to make custom groups of Tags. This seems to work, but process is taking forever!
Screenshot of what I have going: http://i.imgur.com/hYm12fb.png
(Also, many of the "Tags" are things that were put into the tab field by accident, which is not helpful.)

It would be nice if the User Category Editor could, for example, highlight all of the items that contain the string "psy." Then I could put all the matches, en mass, into the Applied Items list on the right. Alas, that doesn't work. Are there any other tricks or tips to making this easier?

Or more broadly, is there a better way for me to organize my books?
kunkel321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
kunkel321
Enthusiast

I might have found a better way to handle this... I made a custom column and called it MyCats (i.e. categories). I use the search function to group books with search strings such as title:"Art OR Drawing OR Painting." Then I do a select all, edit in bulk, and set MyCats to equal "Art." The custom category info does survive a bulk metadata upload -- so that's good. I haven't yet tried to get the cat info onto my Kindle Fire HD... But we'll see. The problem I'm having now, is that Calibre will find books even if one of the search terms is in the book description, which I don't want. Maybe I'll start another thread for that question...
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Search in specific columns: tags=:"art" or tags:"=drawing" or tags:"=painting". or #MyCats:"=Art" and it won't look in the comments.

You can also have the tag mapper add another tag instead of a custom column, say MyCatArt, which you can run any time, and it will update your books (and that can be run when you do bulk metadata downloads automatically, so any new books are kept up to date too.

Any search you make can be saved (or used to create a user-category which will show up in the tag browser).

You can also create a virtual library for #MyCats:"=Art". Or tags:"=MyCatArt", so you can see those books in isolation.

Metadata downloads never remove existing tags, only add to them. Sorry I don't know how to use this to create collections on the Kindle, but I believe that can be automated too.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
kunkel321
Enthusiast

Thanks Krazy! I ended up just using the custom column approach. Having the correct syntax for searching has saved me though. In case anyone is following this thread: It's possible to have the custom column shown in the Tag Browser on the left. Once the it's shown and expanded (such that all your custom categories are shown), then you can just drag-n-drop books from the main window right to a category group. So that's nice. The info transfers via Calibre Companion to my Kindle Fire HD just fine. I'm using the paid version of CC... Not sure if that matters. Oddly, I decided to rename the custom column. It was "MyCats" but I renamed it to just "Categories." The new name has not propagated to CC, and there does't appear to be a way to actually rename it on the device. That's all. Thanks again.

Tags
categories, tags, topics