Man over 45 71 38.59%
Non-binary 45 and under 0 0%
Non-binary over 45 0 0%
The blue one, next to the fish 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question Ebooks and Age

Hmm...I'm definitely not over 45, and I'm definitely not a woman, and I read on my Kindle a ton.

I'm curious about the following:
- Is this unique to Kobo's user base?
- Is this true for reading in general (and not just e-reading)? (There are some notes on that in the article.)
- Is this true for MR forum participants?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...n-study-claims

ETA: Also, seriously, please forgive me if the poll options are unnecessarily restrictive or unfair in some manner. I started the thread as a poll and then I realized I didn't have nearly enough fields/options for the reality of life and identity.

Last edited by djulian; 05-11-2016 at 10:29 AM.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I like how they employ the euphemism 'Romance'.

It's m0mmy p0rn.. You're not fooling anyone, Tamblyn. I've browsed your bookstore and the Kobo book recommendations. I end rolling my eyes up every time.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
People who are exactly 45 can't vote.

I've no doubt that women over 45 could represent a huge portion of readers utilizing ebooks. No unnecessary genre judgements on why, either.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-11-2016 at 11:49 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
How does Kobo know how old its users are?

Any self-reported demographic information is easily skewed. Perhaps it's just me, but I never ever give my age to a retailer or Web site of any sort--since there's usually a drop-down menu, I use the first year shown, which generally means I'm 100 years old at the time I first sign up. Or if I have to enter a year on my own, I enter 1900. I simply don't see a reason to provide my age to a store, so I don't.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think it is very obvious that the reason why ebooks are predominantly bought by elderly women is because ebooks are predominantly meant for and suited to m0mmy p0rn.

Real book readers read on hand-illuminated vellum. And even the wannabes at least have the decency to use those cheap paper things rather than soulless electrons.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I think it is very obvious that the reason why ebooks are predominantly bought by elderly women is because ebooks are predominantly meant for and suited to m0mmy p0rn.

Real book readers read on hand-illuminated vellum. And even the wannabes at least have the decency to use those cheap paper things rather than soulless electrons.
elderly? 45 and older is elderly? You do like living dangerously, don't you.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think that asking if anyone is LGBTQ is just wrong. Those two answers need to go. Why does it matter sexual orientation?

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-12-2016 at 04:59 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Give me a few more years and I'll be one of those women over 45.

Currently my purchases are less romance and more mystery, speculative fiction and non-fiction but that's partly because I picked up all the Heyer books some time back (and because most of my other books with love stories have been sold under other categories).

As for the general market for romance; I remember just how many romance novels my Grandmother had piled up in heaps in corner of her house, how many Romance novels could be found in any place selling used books, the library which had a bookcase where anyone could freely add and remove Romance novels (it was generally stuffed full with an always changing selection of books) ......

My assumption is that the tendency of avid romance readers to consume lots and lots of books meshes well with the ability to buy-on-demand without needing to clear out piles of old books, add to that the number of people who like writing romance (see any fanfic site for examples) and the ability for authors and buyers to find each other.... I'm fairly certain that the ability to avoid being judged for one's choice in reading material is a relatively minor issue.

BTW my taste in books did not magically change when I became a mother so why M0mmy P0rn?
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
People who are exactly 45 can't vote. .
Which is, of course, an empty set. (Unless time is quantized in which case it's still almost certainly an empty set, and even in the extremely unlikely circumstance of actually being exactly 45 you really wouldn't have to wait very long at all until you weren't!)

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
BTW my taste in books did not magically change when I became a mother so why M0mmy P0rn?
Because there is in fact a meme that says mommies are sad middle-aged housewives who don't get to have sex, and therefore spend their alone time reading "m0mmy p0rn" thinly disguised as "romance" in order to imagine they are in A Better Place.

Why are some people convinced that is so? I don't know. It may have something to do with the highfalutin literary establishment though. The highfalutin literary establishment is quite fond of disparaging books that aren't literary enough. And they coincide with the establishment of irrational ebook haters.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It might be because of all the m0mmy p0rn ebooks littering the Kobo bookstore.

Also the fact that Kobo keep pushing that genre with their recommendations and email newsletters.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 05-11-2016 at 03:17 PM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Because there is in fact a meme that says mommies are sad middle-aged housewives who don't get to have sex, and therefore spend their alone time reading "m0mmy p0rn" thinly disguised as "romance" in order to imagine they are in A Better Place.

Why are some people convinced that is so? I don't know. It may have something to do with the highfalutin literary establishment though. The highfalutin literary establishment is quite fond of disparaging books that aren't literary enough. And they coincide with the establishment of irrational ebook haters.
I see

It can't simply be called erotic, graphic, explicit or even just p0rn because otherwise people might believe women who are not mothers or even the occasional man 'gasp' might be reading these books and we can't have that!
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Men are too manly to read romance. Obviously.

(And Twilight (!!!) was nevertheless disturbingly popular amongst a certain portion of my male-only high school. )
Old 05-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Men are too manly to read romance. Obviously.
They're not too manly to write romance though--hiding behind a flowerly feminine pseudonym.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote