Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
The dual screen lcd-e-ink tablet/e-reader?

Hi!

I thought today of getting some dual screen tablet/eareader, to quickly switch to more comfortable internet navigating from ereading.

My point is that I do not have a comfortable experience reading from a tablet lcd screen, so I need to carry an reader as well. And I do not have any satisfying experience of internet work with ereaders. So I need two devices. And when I travel, I take both.

So, why not have all in one. Not as two joined pieces, but as one piece with two screen on the opposite sides.

I checked internet, and found that amazon had some plans to make it years ago: http://mashable.com/2012/08/30/amazo.../#QzcXqsyvRGqh

There was also a patent application http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...+AND+AN/Amazon)

But apparently nothing was done.

So, there is actually only a concept of a small phone and ereader with two screen in Yotaphone and Oukitel.

But there is no device of 9.7 size, tablet and ereader in one.

Should there be such a device, I would have to just this one, and good if it comes as a transformer, with the detachable keyboard, stylus, eletromagnetic and capacitative e-ink screen, additional built-in light.

The price of such a one if with good screen, good camera, wife, 3G/4G, stylus, would be around $500.

So, when you've done reading a book, you switch to internet, or movie watching.

Atter you've done your internet navigating, you switch to reading the books.

Good to have to batteries, one exclusively for ereader option, so that when the tablet's one is empty, and you do not need internet, movie, photo, you continue to work for days.

Strange that nobody hasn't launched any kickstarter campaign on that, or does Amazon patent application prevent (has it actually been approved)? Or is there a law, that if company does not act on a patent, it looses it. Or it is now accepted, that whoever does not manufacture himself, can prevent others from do it, provided he saw the idea first, which is ridiculous and abusive.

I understand that many people do not need a big size ereader. But I think many people find the bigger screen tablet to be more comfortable to work with, especially if there is attachable keyboard and mouse. So, the bigger 9.7 e-ink screen here comes as a bonus, it seems that a smaller e-ink screen will leave some place unused. So, it is possible to put one 9.7 screen, and the other can be, say, 6 or 7 inch. But it leaves empty space. And to make the tablet screen smaller is possible, but it will not be comfortable to seriously work with the documents. I mean, I regard the smaller tablets rather for brief internet browsing, email checkup, skype, but no serious work. If this is sufficient, that the tablet/ereader can be around 7 inches. So, the 7 inch tablet/ereader can be rather for short time work, but a bigger tablet/earder can be for a more professional work. 9.7 ereader screen also allows for a more comfortable pdf viewing. The bigger format ,13.3 or 12.9 tablet/reader pro transformer version is something for the late Steve Jobs kind of a guy, who would risk making such a high-end device. This latter one can be extremely professional, and can cost a lot.

But if produced in great quantities, say, by Amazon or Microsoft, can be around $800, wife and cellular. I mean, such a device can solve all my problems with internet navigating, software work, ereading, for year and years.

But this, to call it, "t-ereader" would solve the problem of carrying two devices, and will save ereader lovers from suffering with the internet navigating, and tablet lovers with sensitive eyes from suffering with the reading the texts in the sunlight, and in the dark.

Last edited by xtech; 05-09-2016 at 03:15 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No thank you

I would rather use 2 devices. What you are talking about would be way too big and heavy for pleasure reading. I personally don't mind taking 2 devices with me.

Another thing to consider is if the device stops working. Then you are out of luck. With 2 devices you can still at least read.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There have been various "concept" devices seen over the years, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was really available to buy was the enTourage eDGe. It had a loyal following (and its own forum section here at MR), but it wasn't super successful.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I too would much rather have separate devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Dual screen devices never really took off (Outside of the Nintendo DS at least), and a screen on both sides of the device means you can't have a cover, making it too fragile for normal use.

I'd rather have a Transflective colour LCD display, no idea why I can't get one.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 AM   #6
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
I would rather use 2 devices. What you are talking about would be way too big and heavy for pleasure reading. I personally don't mind taking 2 devices with me.
You, see currently regular 9.7 tablet 's and e-reader's is around 450g. If you add the e-ink screen, it will just take away part of the aliminium/plastic case, and alltogether, I suppose, it is not going to be more than than 500g. So, if you got accustomed to carrying two big devices, you win in terms of weight. But if you prefer smaller devices, do not read pdfs, this is not so much of use to you perhaps. But if you have to carry two devices, then it would make 800g in your bag, which is not as good as having only one, and reliable. So, I know, even travelling, some carry:

1. Big phone
2. Big tablet
3. Big ereader

And this is in some cases not comfortable. So, the combination

1. Big phone
2. Big tablet/ereader saves place and is easlier to carry, deal with.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is if the device stops working. Then you are out of luck. With 2 devices you can still at least read.
Yes, this may be a problem.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #7
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There have been various "concept" devices seen over the years, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was really available to buy was the enTourage eDGe. It had a loyal following (and its own forum section here at MR), but it wasn't super successful.
Yes, I had seen it. And remember the time, when it had appeared. But with all my respect to its creators, the idea seems to be quite clumsy, and so elegant, and economic in terms of place and money and weight.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Dual screen devices never really took off (Outside of the Nintendo DS at least), and a screen on both sides of the device means you can't have a cover, making it too fragile for normal use.
I am glad to say that this will not be a problem. First, current tablets have quite strong glass, and emobius is flexible, and so not easy to break.

But there is more to it. Have you seen the original Kindle DX cover? It is attached to the side of the Kindle. So, if the cover is attached to the side of Kindle, it can made in such a way that it opens onto each side, somewhat similar to files in the folder. It will give some additional weight, but it will protect both screens. And if done of thin material, it will not give great thickness.

The t-ereader can be around 9.5-9.7 mm thick (at the tickest place).

Last edited by xtech; 05-10-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No, thank you!

If I saw such a device, I would run from it.

No, wait: I would run over such a device.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #10
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
No, thank you!
If I saw such a device, I would run from it.
No, wait: I would run over such a device.
When travelling, I used to take Kindle DXG and also a tablet. And some smallish keyboard, to work with the tablet. And a phone. But the pain was always to carry two devices, and I really needed the big ereader. I new of Edge model, but it was quite big, and at those times it was quite slow for work. But now, the tablets are quite quick, and the ereader of 9.7 has also better functions. So, it would save some place during long distance travelling, and even in terms of short distance, when I am out somewhere, needing to make some reading, and some browsing.

Last edited by xtech; 05-10-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtech View Post
When travelling, I used to take Kindle DXG and also a tablet. And some smallish keyboard, to work with the tablet. And a phone. But the pain was always to carry two devices, and I really needed the big ereader. I new of Edge model, but it was quite big, and at those times it was quite slow for work. But now, the tablets are quite quick, and the ereader of 9.7 has also better functions. So, it would save some place during long distance travelling, and even in terms of short distance, when I am out somewhere, needing to make some reading, and some browsing.
You'll have to convince a company to make such a device and from the posts here most people are not interested. There is nothing you could say to convince me.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
You'll have to convince a company to make such a device and from the posts here most people are not interested. There is nothing you could say to convince me.
Oh, I do not practice the art of convincing others to buy the things that are of no use to them. But since myself and other few people have found such a device useful for them, it may be of use to some other people as well.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I think the fragile nature of such a device would be the telling point. As I am pretty much home bound and don't read in the light, I find my tablet is perfect as an ereader (pretty much due to the price point as well as the ability to read any format I please rather than being tied to a particular format or store).

I would find myself frustrated to no end not being able to access the books I want to read by going to the external sd card and getting the entire series listed in the directory list. Looking at how friends search on their kindles for the next book in a series makes me scratch my head.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I would find myself frustrated to no end not being able to access the books I want to read by going to the external sd card and getting the entire series listed in the directory list. Looking at how friends search on their kindles for the next book in a series makes me scratch my head.
That's your friends' ignorance of how to do it correctly, not an inherent shortcoming of the Kindle. When I look at my Kindle I see all my books listed in series order by author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:17 AM   #15
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I think the fragile nature of such a device would be the telling point. As I am pretty much home bound and don't read in the light, I find my tablet is perfect as an ereader (pretty much due to the price point as well as the ability to read any format I please rather than being tied to a particular format or store).
Yes, if you are satisfied with the tablet, you do not read an e-reader combined with a tablet.

I am not sure about it being fragile. Mobius screen is not fragile, it is flexible. Tablet's screen is not fragile. The t-reader is put into the cover, as any other tablet can be put.

Quote:
That should not be a problem, because the more modern e-readers have better functional features.

Last edited by xtech; 05-11-2016 at 06:53 AM.