Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
bogfrog
bogfrog began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505's, Kindles far too many K1 K2's K3's K4's K5's KPW1/2/3 DXG KV
K3 USB problem

I'm hoping someone may have a clue as to whats going on or be able to help me.
I have a K3 wifi which works fine as a reader and charges as it should, but is not recognised by any computer when I plug it in. I've tried Windows and Mac machines and a whole variety of cables but nothing shows up.

The main reason I need to access the USB is that I have a large number of sideloaded books on the reader and the hard disk that contained the originals has crashed and is unrecoverable, so the only copies are now on te reader and I can't access them.
bogfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably you've tried rebooting the Kindle? If so, and the problem persists, it sounds as if the USB port on the Kindle is faulty, unfortunately.

Why on Earth didn't you have your data backed up? Hard disks come in two varieties: those which have crashed, and those which will crash. If ANYTHING is valuable to you, for goodness sake keep it securely backed up!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Several things to try.
Reboot the kindle. Unplug it, press power and hold it a full 30 to 40 seconds, then release power and let it reboot.

Also power down and restart your computer.

Try a different USB cord and/or different computer USB port.

If none of those help, seek out a local cell phone repair shop or Batteries Plus store to repair the USB connector on your kindle.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why on Earth didn't you have your data backed up? Hard disks come in two varieties: those which have crashed, and those which will crash. If ANYTHING is valuable to you, for goodness sake keep it securely backed up!
Exactly! With all the free cloud storage choices available there is no reason. Personally I use Calibre to manage my library and I use Dropbox to back up my books.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
Try a different USB cord ...
+++1

Cords fail. The fact that the cord may work to charge the device is absolutely no indication that it doesn't have a fault in one of the data lines. Test the cable(s) using another USB device to be certain that the data signals work.

Also, if you are not using the original cable be sure that the cable you are using is not one of the "charge only" cables that lack the data lines.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
bogfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
+++1

Cords fail. The fact that the cord may work to charge the device is absolutely no indication that it doesn't have a fault in one of the data lines. Test the cable(s) using another USB device to be certain that the data signals work.

Also, if you are not using the original cable be sure that the cable you are using is not one of the "charge only" cables that lack the data lines.
Thanks but "I've tried Windows and Mac machines and a whole variety of cables but nothing shows up."
Old 05-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
bogfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
Exactly! With all the free cloud storage choices available there is no reason. Personally I use Calibre to manage my library and I use Dropbox to back up my books.
Thanks for pointing that out ! - with laser like hindsight that's obvious, but unfortunatly not currently helpful
Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have no idea if this will work but the K3 has a browser. Try opening something like gmail and see if you can upload a file as an attachment.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogfrog View Post
Thanks but "I've tried Windows and Mac machines and a whole variety of cables but nothing shows up."
When you say a whole variety of cables, how many and where did you get them?
I have both charge only and data cables.
Have you tried a different usb port on the computer?
Which way are you plugging into the computer?
Do you have access to a second device and/or a second computer?
Try this, plug the cable into the computer, then into your kindle.
Give the computer 30 seconds. Then unplug and replug the kindle.
Also is the kindle asleep or awake?

If all this fails, take it to a repair shop.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's probably either a USB port problem on the Kindle, or a software issue on the Kindle. A factory reset would likely fix a software problem, but would unfortunately remove all of your sideloaded ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote