Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use a cover on your eink reader?
Yes, I use a cover. 168 81.55%
No, I do not use a cover. 38 18.45%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Do you use a cover?

In general, do you use a cover on your eink ereader?

Please only vote if you have an eink reader.

For example:

If you use it when you leave the house (to protect the device), vote yes.
If you usually use it while reading, vote yes.

Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I voted no.

I do not use a cover. I have not used/purchased a cover on my last 2 readers.
Advert
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Yes, I use a good quality leather sleep cover for my Kobo. While it ensures the battery conservation, it also helps to avoid physical damage to the device. In my opinion, the only disadvantage with a cover is, it makes the device heavier.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I wouldn't dream of using an ereader without a cover. In fact I have multiple covers, they are a real weakness of mine
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, of course!

To do otherwise, would be to invite the wrath of Cthulhu!

No one can be that foolhardy!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, of course!

To do otherwise, would be to invite the wrath of Cthulhu!

No one can be that foolhardy!

Or the wrath/scorn of JSWolf !!!

Seriously tho' I have been known to use a cover and then place the whole thing in another case esp when placing the reader in the bottom of a bag for travel.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I am not rich enough not to buy a cover.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For me, using a cover is mostly about ergonomics:
The oh-so-popular thin slab form factor with the typical narrow frame doesn't me offer a comfortable grip. Great to look at and carry but come reading time, not so much.

So, since I typically read dual column landscape, the cover spine helps me balance the weight and gives me a couple different ways to hold it.

Of course, ye olde PB360 and RB-1000 don't have those issues or need covers for that.
With spinal designs due for a comeback things may change. I'm looking forward to the next wave of China, Inc readers and Eink tablets.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I primarily read using a stand, so I don't want a cover. If I'm going to be reading for long without a stand, I use an elastic across opposing corners on the back of the reader and slip my hand between the elastic and the reader; it works well for me; so I don't want a cover. When transporting, I'm relatively careful, so I don't worry about it.

For me, if I was worried about damage, I think I would rather buy an "Extended Warranty".

Last edited by John F; 04-15-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: edited to add warranty
Old 04-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I did not use a cover for my Glo except while travelling. Since upgrading to the H2O, I have used a cover because a) the larger glass area is more susceptible to breakage and b) the replacement cost nearly doubled.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't see why the poll is being limited to eink. I read entirely on a Nexus 7 tablet these days, but regardless of eink/tablet, I always used a cover. Solely because reading one-handed in bed (or just about anywhere, really) without one is impossible for me. I'd never buy another cover if I didn't need one just to hold the device comfortably.

(don't worry, I didn't actually vote in your eink-only poll )
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I voted no. My first Nook I bought a cover for and the cover made the Nook so heavy I started having carpal tunnel problems holding it while reading. I've just used a slip case for my Nooks and Kindles after that. The exception is my phone. My phone has a rubber bumber case on it.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I switch between my book style cover which protects the screen when I carry my reader around, and a silicone cover which makes it easier to grip for extended reading periods.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I keep my ereader in a sleeve when not reading, but I don't use a cover when reading. I don't like the added weight when I'm holding it. I don't know how that counts in your poll.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This discussion makes me remember how much I enjoyed reading on my 950 naked; it's so sleek and elegant. The 950 didn't leave the house nor go to bed with me, so it didn't need a case for protection and I had the zippered slip case for when I wasn't reading.

I may have to see what I can find in terms of a form-fitting sleeve for my H20, which has replaced the 950 in my life, and retire the Fintie cover it lives in now.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote