Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Pwnaid
Pwnaid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Best eReader for read mangás

hey, i nows that ipad is good to read comics but i think e-ink is more confortable to read them, witch is the best for mangás ?
Pwnaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Personally, I don't consider any e-ink reader ideal for comics. I love my Kobo Aura H2O for reading novels, but comics work better on my Asus FHD-10.

That being said, I understand that many people do read comics on the Aura H2O (or its predecessor, the Aura HD). Kobo support CBR and CBZ file formats and the extra screen real estate (both the Aura HD & H2O are 6.8" readers) is helpful.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Personally, I don't consider any e-ink reader ideal for comics. I love my Kobo Aura H2O for reading novels, but comics work better on my Asus FHD-10.

That being said, I understand that many people do read comics on the Aura H2O (or its predecessor, the Aura HD). Kobo support CBR and CBZ file formats and the extra screen real estate (both the Aura HD & H2O are 6.8" readers) is helpful.
Mangas are usually black and white so this should be a good fit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Pwnaid

yes, usually i read mangás on my kindle paperwhite. and i like it
Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
fozzedout
Guru
fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96, Kindle Basic 2014, Onyx T68 Lynx, Icarus Illumina E653
bigger is generally better for manga - especially if you get any with lots of dialogue, and the font has to be compressed down in size (I'm think of xxxholic here).

I think, probably best at the moment would be the Onyx i86.

Larger screen + high res = manga win

Last edited by fozzedout; 07-21-2015 at 05:32 PM.
fozzedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
oguzonat
Enthusiast
oguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Paperwhite 2, dxg
I read it with my kindle dxg, use the kindle comic converter for adjusting it's resolution appropriate for dxg. It is really blissful to read manga in it. I tried it with my kpw2 but screen was too small for my taste
oguzonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Most of the popular eink readers are pretty equivalent for reading manga. I might give Kobo a slight edge as it supports cbr/cbz format natively IIRC (though it's been maybe a year since I tried).

That said, an LCD based tablet with 3:4 aspect ratio screen does have some advantages:

- usually tablets are faster than ereaders so page flipping will be faster
- if you read anything that often has double page spreads the auto-rotation on tablets is handy
- tablets typically have screens that are larger so those double pages are easier to read, and even regular pages work better for me (I find the standard 6 inch ereader screens to be just on the border of too small for me).
- if you read fan scanlations off the web, tablets are more convenient because of their vastly better web browsers
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
I use the Kobo Aura HD for manga and love it. Use it almost everyday. With cbz/cbr support it really is pretty simple. No complaints with it whatsoever.
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Pwnaid

I use Mangle and Kindle comic converter(KCC) to convert zip archives to .mobi

if someone wants to try
http://kcc.iosphe.re/

Last edited by Pwnaid; 07-22-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #10
oguzonat
Enthusiast
oguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshesoguzonat can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Paperwhite 2, dxg
You can also use domdomsoft Manga downloaded for downloading Manga from websites and save them as cbz
oguzonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Kobo Aura HD or H2O because they are 6.8" and their software is more flexible.

Or a used Kindle DX.

Or the big Onyx reader (9.7").

Depends on your budget and location.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I just got the Onyx Boox I86ml at the end of last week.
It reads several standard manga archive formats natively and the page turn times aren't bad at all.
Manga and illustrated nonfiction are what I bought it for as I prefer smaller readers for novels.

Now I just need the weather to cool down so I can get back to picnics and trips to the nature reserve.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
- if you read anything that often has double page spreads the auto-rotation on tablets is handy
Onyx M96 offers you a nice solution for the case when you have a double page scan of a book. With a little set-up at the start of the reading you can display half of every double page at a time as you change pages. This way you get one actual page displayed on the whole of your screen. The following series of screen shots shows you the procedure.

1. The original page:

2. Set zoom to selection:

3. Set the navigation mode:

4. Enjoy reading double pages...

5. ...as if they were single pages.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Very true. But typically double page spreads take up more than one page because they are designed for maximum graphical impact, and I find viewing only half at a time is not as satisfying. Also, sometimes the text spans pages so you would need to flip back and forth between the two halves of the double-page spread to read it (as an example, in American comics, Bendis and Oeming do this a lot in Powers)

Nice tip though, if you don't mind reading this way.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Device: KK,PWM,PW4,KO2,i86,n96ml,Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I just got the Onyx Boox I86ml at the end of last week.
It reads several standard manga archive formats natively and the page turn times aren't bad at all.
Manga and illustrated nonfiction are what I bought it for as I prefer smaller readers for novels.

Now I just need the weather to cool down so I can get back to picnics and trips to the nature reserve.
Hi Phogg,

May I ask what what reader app do you use to read the .cbr and .cbz natively? Did the app come pre-installed?

My i86 Plus does not show any app name in the "open with" list. It was advertised to handle .cbr and .cbz natively but I can't find the way to open it. I have to do work around by covert my manga to other file format.

Thank you in advance.
chompop is offline   Reply With Quote