Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
OIX
OIX began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Nova Air C
Question Nova Air C newbie question(s)

hi @all,

just got my first eInk device (except my TokyoFlash Kisai Rorschach watch).
I already searched an answer online and also tried the forum search - but to no avail.

may 1st question is: Is there an option or setting to have a one-click frontlight on/off toggle (button, gesture, virtual touch area etc.)?

and 2nd question is related: Is it possible to setup the device to switch off the frontlight after some time of inactivity w/o going into standby?
because I would like to keep the device ON, to be able to start taking notes at any time, but not have the light draining the battery when not necessary.

thanx for help
OIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIX View Post
w/o going into standby?
What do you have against standby?
A quick press of the power button switches everything off or back on again exactly as it was and you can continue exactly where you left off.
I close or open the cover lid.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
OIX

standby blanks the screen. defeats the purpose, to see my notes and drawings all the time while I'm working.

I would be fine, to keep the pad ON all the time, if I could switch on/off the frontlight with a single click. but as far as I know up to now, that requires a swipe and two clicks or 4 clicks.

1+2 version:
* swipe down from right hand topbar to open control center
* click frontlight toggle button
* click outside control center widget to close it again

4-click version:
* click to open navigation ball menu
* click brightness adjust menu button
* click on/off toggle button in the appearing dialog
* click outside dialog to close it again
Old 09-19-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Life is too short to worry about a little frontlight.
I leave mine on 30% all the time (even in bright sunlight) and I ain't dead yet.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
OIX

haven't tested it yet (let it idle around for some hours).

but first impression was, that battery did drop quite a bit while I was making my first experiences setting up the tablet and trying out stuff. it's only a 2000mAh battery if I remember correctly. and for my taste, brightness and whiteness of the display require around 80% of blue and 65% of warmth light to feel OK. 30% would be way to low for the color display.
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 10:44 PM   #6
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
standby blanks the screen. defeats the purpose, to see my notes and drawings all the time while I'm working.

I would be fine, to keep the pad ON all the time, if I could switch on/off the frontlight with a single click. but as far as I know up to now, that requires a swipe and two clicks or 4 clicks.
If you have the navigation bar enabled, pressing and holding the "back" button turns the illumination off and on.

On the Tab Mini C you also have the option of the transparent screensaver, but I don't know if it is available on the Air C and if that would be a solution for you.

If that doesn't work for you, in my opinion the sliding gesture is the best option.

(There are also reading programs that allow you to toggle the illumination with a touch, but I don't think that's what you mean).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230920_043825.png
Views:	53
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	203887  
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:56 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
The stock Onyx dual sliders for frontlight is horrible.
I did make a little separate app with brightness and color as the two sliders.
On the Poke5 I see that they clamped down on access to /sys so it doesn't work without changing that.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #8
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am referring to its purpose of using as few steps as possible to turn the lighting on or off. Personally I don't like lighting sliders, on Onyx or any other device.

(By the way, on the Tab Mini C the colour temperature setting does not work separately from the brightness).
Old 09-20-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
OIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
If you have the navigation bar enabled, pressing and holding the "back" button turns the illumination off and on.
ohh, great! thanx. that's almost what I want. I have it set-up this way now.

why is it only almost ?
1) I would prefer to use the gestures instead the navigation bar
2) my (intended) main use case is note taking. at least the default system note app,codes hide the navigation bar (have to look, if there is a setting to prevent this). but right now, it requires to swipe-up to make the navigation bar to appear and then immediately tap & hold the back button. because with the slightest delay the 'auto-hide-navigation-bar' timer expires before the 'long-tap-detection' timer. and then the system handles it just as back click and leaves the note application.

I did discover the screensaver and it's 'all-transparent' option by myself. today's world children's day is a holiday in my state. so I have a bit time to explore my new 'toy'.

suggestions for a good/better note taking app are welcome, btw.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:49 AM   #10
OIX

@Renate: I agree, the dual slider design is a horrible UI concept.

but I found a good solution for that. it's a little app named 'Gentle Glow'.
it provides you with 4 possible, customizable Frontlight settings and allows adjustment via a brightness and and a warmthness slider. (does the later word even exists?

it is accessable through the quick settings in the control center and also allows to be placed as ball menu button.
currently it has no one-click toggle option. but the developer seems to have an open ear for suggestions and the app is open source and available via git.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
OIX

Quote:
If that doesn't work for you, in my opinion the sliding gesture is the best option.
ohh, I read over this.
what do you mean by that ... has you device a Frontlight on/off gesture?
because the Nova Air C only offers these gesture bindings.

Name:	Screenshot_20230920-145441_025909.png
Views:	49
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	203895
Old 09-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
ohh, I read over this.
what do you mean by that ... has you device a Frontlight on/off gesture?
because the Nova Air C only offers these gesture bindings.
Attachment 203895
No, I was referring to the side gestures.

(This option is only available on Onyx devices with page turning keys).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230921-170720.png
Views:	32
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	203903  

Last edited by cellaris; 09-21-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #13
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
@Renate: I agree, the dual slider design is a horrible UI concept.

but I found a good solution for that. it's a little app named 'Gentle Glow'.
it provides you with 4 possible, customizable Frontlight settings and allows adjustment via a brightness and and a warmthness slider. (does the later word even exists?

it is accessable through the quick settings in the control center and also allows to be placed as ball menu button.
currently it has no one-click toggle option. but the developer seems to have an open ear for suggestions and the app is open source and available via git.
Very interesting. On the Tab Mini C it doesn't work because they changed the lighting system, but on the Leaf 2 (and I guess on the Poke 2) it works very well. I usually read in ambient lighting conditions that are always the same and this control is very useful for my three usual situations. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
standby blanks the screen.
Then set the standby screen properly.
Quote:
On the Tab Mini C you also have the option of the transparent screensaver, but I don't know if it is available on the Air C and if that would be a solution for you.
It is available on all Boox devices

Last edited by ottischwenk; 09-20-2023 at 02:34 PM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Can someone tell me if the "C" more responsive and faster than the Note Air 2 plus? I find reading on my note a little laggy
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front-light, frontlight, glow light, glowlight, nova air c