Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
KingsGambit
E4
KingsGambit began at the beginning.

Device: None
Poke 3 Touch Disabled, only power button working

I woke up my Boox Poke 3 earlier today and touch wasn't working. It's immaculate and in perfect condition. I rebooted it by holding power and touch came back. I ran a firmware update, which succeeded, but now touch isn't working even after a restart. I can see the library, but nothing happens when I touch anything on screen. I can turn it off/reboot it since the power button still works, but that's it.

Is there anything I can do to re-enable touch, otherwise this device is useless? Can it be factory reset somehow with only a power button? Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
KingsGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:39 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Ok, things to do while you're working this out.
Use a USB mouse (wired or dongled) and a USB OTG adapter.
Or use a Bluetooth mouse if you can get it paired.
Make sure ADB (USB debugging) is on.

If you're rooted, try:
Code:
adb shell cat /dev/input/event1
It should spew out garbage when you doodle the screen.

Is this version 3.3.2 now?

It could be a hardware failure of the capacitive touch.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:49 AM   #3
KingsGambit
E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Ok, things to do while you're working this out.
Use a USB mouse (wired or dongled) and a USB OTG adapter.
Or use a Bluetooth mouse if you can get it paired.
Make sure ADB (USB debugging) is on.

If you're rooted, try:
Code:
adb shell cat /dev/input/event1
It should spew out garbage when you doodle the screen.

Is this version 3.3.2 now?

It could be a hardware failure of the capacitive touch.
Thank you very much for the reply. A mouse-with-adapter does actually work remarkably. I let me get to the About page to photograph for the Onyx support team, and they think it's a faulty screen, the cost of which to replace is almost as much as the thing was new.
I might keep it for now to see if some future firmware helps, but it feels like a lost cause :-(

Thank you very much for the helpful reply, I appreciate that very much.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:08 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might try re-seating the connector of the touch.
Open the back, flip the bail up on the connector, remove, re-insert, push the bail down.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
KingsGambit
E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
You might try re-seating the connector of the touch.
Open the back, flip the bail up on the connector, remove, re-insert, push the bail down.
This is a great suggestion and I'm absolutely willing to give this a go. Do i need any particular tools? I take the back off, find where the screens connects to some kind of mainboard and re-seat the connection?
Old 10-27-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Do you have ADB & rooted? Did you try that command?

Opening the case with guitar picks starting near the USB.
The corners are a bit tough to pop.
The flex PCB for touch is covered wtih black fabric tape.
Pick that off. Flip the black bail up with your fingernail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poke3touch.png
Views:	37
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	204441