Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-06-2023, 11:01 PM   #1
jw5423
jw5423 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Page
Fastboot on Page

Just received my Page, and successfully rooted it (using the edl method). One oddity that I ran into is that I was never able to get into the bootloader level fastboot. When I did adl reboot bootloader or fastboot reboot bootloder (from fastbootd), it just rebooted to a Onyx screen and there were no USB devices available. I ended up having to hold power + up to get a reboot. Is there a different command I can try to get into bootloader fastboot ?
jw5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw5423 View Post
Just received my Page
The "Page" is one of those wacky "other channel" models.
Is that a Leaf2?
Which Firehose loader did you use?

When you reboot bootloader are you sure that there is no USB interface being presented?
Are you on Windows or Linux? usbview.exe or lsusb -v

Last edited by Renate; 09-20-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:08 PM   #3
jw5423
jw5423 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Page
I believe it is a just released model, https://shop.boox.com/collections/all/products/page. TBH I'm not sure which loader I ended up using. It just worked using the newest edl without me having to specify. The EDL part worked fine, and adb/fastbootd worked fine. Bootloader fastboot has also worked without any problems on other Android devices. I'm running on OSX. When in bootloader mode I looked at the lsusb equivalent (System Report) and didn't see any unknown devices listed. I will try on a windows box in case it is an osx weirdness
jw5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:48 AM   #4
sherlockeb
sherlockeb began at the beginning.

Device: boox page
Hi there, I just got a Page myself and I'm curious about why you felt the need to root the device. What kind of advantages does rooting bring to the table. If there is anything interesting I'll root mine too.
sherlockeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:45 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some brands are removing fastboot (the one in abl) so this could be an actual (and concerning) change.

If you do EDL again, please copy out the HWID and PK hash (but not your serial number).

If you could, in ADB shell:
Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
You can reduce the center chunk to 1 or 2 unique chunks.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:36 AM   #6
acw
acw began at the beginning.

Device: Boox page / Kobo Libra 2 / Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockeb View Post
Hi there, I just got a Page myself and I'm curious about why you felt the need to root the device. What kind of advantages does rooting bring to the table. If there is anything interesting I'll root mine too.
I wanted to know this too.
Only thing I can think of is to have a wallpaper, but I don't want that :P
acw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard

On the Poke5 the stock Android font (Roboto) has been replaced with something bolder.
If you have ADB enabled grab the first dozen lines of this:
Code:
C:\>adb shell
$ cat /system/etc/fonts.xml
That would be my first reason to root.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:35 PM   #8
cosmicvoid
cosmicvoid began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockeb View Post
I can't speak for OP, but I rooted my Poke 3 specifically so I can run AFWall+ and block any outgoing connections other than my browser, Koreader, and my syncing application. Onyx devices notoriously phones home to Chinese servers. Not sure what data is being transmitted and it's probably nothing malicious, but I like having full control of what data is being sent and received on a device I own. I have the same philosophy with any Google/Microsoft/Amazon/etc device.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote